Page 2 of 169 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Two more cast in Thor.

Jaimie Alexander is playing Sif.

Colm Feore will be playing an as-yet-unnamed villain.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Does not read Sutter Cane The Mike's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Colm Feore will be playing an as-yet-unnamed villain.
    :|

Visions of Riddick now dance in my head.

The Mike

It's very very horrible, sir. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent.

From Midnight, With Love - My Midnight Movie Blog of Justice!

Quote Quoting The Mike (view post)

Visions of Riddick now dance in my head.

Actually, the Necromongers from The Chronicles of Riddick would be a pretty cool enemy in a Thor movie.

Quote Quoting http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/17550/who-wears-short-shorts-marvel-heroes
    With "Kick Ass", "The Losers" and "Jonah Hex" tanking, the filmgoing public is definitely showing a lack of interest this year in comic-to-film adaptations based on lesser known properties. Now, Latino Review reports that Marvel Studios is considering a different strategy for their lesser known heroes - short films.

Much like Pixar does with their features, Marvel is apparently considering making ten-minute short films introducing lesser known superheroes (eg. Luke Cage, Dr. Strange) to play before Marvel's two big tentpoles next year - "Thor" and "Captain America".

This would seem to contradict talk earlier this year which emerged that the company was looking into generating lower budget films with promising directors to introduce their C-Grade characters. Then again both plans could well be in the works, but no official word on either approach is yet forthcoming.
    Interesting, I guess. Good way of using these characters without risking a giant "Who the fuck is Dr. Strange" from the general public, perhaps.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

That's actually pretty smart.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I like that idea.

Probably is, but I think a full length Luke Cage film could be a whole lotta fun.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Probably is, but I think a full length Luke Cage film could be a whole lotta fun.

Indeed, but casting is uber-important with that character.

They need someone who actually has acting chops. I know Tyrese Gibson was/is interested in the role, but that would suck.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The Upcoming Marvel Cinema Universe Thread

Release date aiming for a May 3, 2013...

Avengers May 4, 2012

Captain America July 22, 2011

Thor May 6, 2011

So 2 Marvel movies next year and only 1 in 2012 and 1 in 2013?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Well, there is Spider-Man (3D) in 2012, and there will no doubt be something in 2013 also. Black Widow?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Ah. I forgot about Spider-man, which I'm not expecting much from.

A Black Widow stand alone? That could be about as interesting as Elektra.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I sure as hell hope 3 is better than 2.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I think I'm the one person that's a fan of both of the first two, but with the added aspect of liking the second one a lot more. I feel like people get too caught up in how the Avengers stuff doesn't work very well and how underutilized Rourke was as the villain, but forget how fun it was otherwise and how good all the cast was in it, especially Rockwell and Rourke.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, my expectations for #3 are pretty high.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Well, there is Spider-Man (3D) in 2012, and there will no doubt be something in 2013 also. Black Widow?
    Deadpool?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Wolverine will be out 2012ish.

Batman...Superman...Antman...

As for Iron Man, I thought the sequel was equal to or greater than first. Need to see it again, but definately didn't think it was worse than first.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I agree he's got strong iconography, but then so does McDonald's, Mr Clean, and Tony the Tiger.
    You have not made a point here.

I don't think a star on a shield drives hordes of people to the box office.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/news/box-off...122004908.html

I'd call Cap generic because, outside the obvious propaganda built into the character, there isn't anything remarkable about him.
    Right. Nothing remarkable about a character who's been around for 70 years and is as popular as ever.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    You have not made a point here.
    I did, but you missed it. Short take: Logos don't make a character and don't make a movie.

If iconography drives ticket sales for these kinds of movies, then how do you explain the failures of Wolverine, The Hulk, and Superman Returns?

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/box-off...122004908.html

Right. Nothing remarkable about a character who's been around for 70 years and is as popular as ever.
    Summer tentpole film with a massive marketing and PR budget, but it's the icon that got people to the theater? Right. Caps is going to crawl to make its money back (I seriously doubt this movie is going to play well overseas).

I'm not sure longevity in comics is particularly meaningful, given how that business is run and some of the rights issues surround certain characters (like, say, Wonder Woman).

He's not particularly remarkable because most of what he does could be done by someone else. He's sort of an ersatz Superman in that regard.

The acid test is: How many people, before the movie opened, knew anything about this guys powers, character, or backstory? Very few, I'd imagine. That's why he's a second tier character and "bottom of the barrel."

Are there only two tiers in a standard barrel?

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    What I find remarkable about Cap, and in these days it does make him stand out, is that he doesn't really have any emotional baggage, nor is he even close to any sort of anti-hero archetype. He's straight as an arrow, never doubts himself, always knows the right thing to do, and always does it.

Sounds cheesy, but if Tony Stark is the guy that made Number8 wanna become an American, Steve Rogers has always been the guy that made me want to be a better American.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I get the feeling that Irish hasn't read much of either Iron Man or Captain America. Calling Stark a conservative, overly self-serious character just doesn't ring true with any Iron Man stuff I've read. Not even the crappy stuff.

Edit: I responded with a big post, some may have read it, but returning to it, I was unsatisfied with my response, so I have removed it and am not going to post a response. Sorry, Irish, but I just am not in the mood.

I've decided to stay out of this thread until people stop insulting my favorite character, the character that is so inspirational and remarkable in what he does in his comics that he made me want to become an American. It fucks with my day too much.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I've decided to stay out of this thread until people stop insulting my favorite character, the character that is so inspirational and remarkable in what he does in his comics that he made me want to become an American. It fucks with my day too much.
    So you posted to announce you're not going to post? 'kay.

I get that this character is special to you, but that doesn't magically make him culturally relevant to a wide audience.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    What I find remarkable about Cap, and in these days it does make him stand out, is that he doesn't really have any emotional baggage, nor is he even close to any sort of anti-hero archetype. He's straight as an arrow, never doubts himself, always knows the right thing to do, and always does it.
    It depends on when you read him. He's had plenty of emotional baggage in the past. Most of the other stuff you're citing could be true of any hero, in and out of comics (it's not as if James Bond has bouts of deep depression and ever feels any conflict about what he's doing).

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I get the feeling that Irish hasn't read much of either Iron Man or Captain America. Calling Stark a conservative, overly self-serious character just doesn't ring true with any Iron Man stuff I've read. Not even the crappy stuff.
    Enough to see a discernible difference between what's on the page and what's on the screen.

Page 2 of 169 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast