Page 192 of 262 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242 ... LastLast
Results 4,776 to 4,800 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    My god am I glad RT forums are gone. Lord knows what "jokes" I made in my early 20s that I thought were "edgy".

I can't seem to find these tweets of Gunn's. Any one know what he said?
    Alt-right clown posted screenshots of them.

Yes, gross and offensive stuff. But it's such a bad faith argument for these jerks to make. They're not offended. They're just trying to "own the libs", which is their sole reason for existing.
    Last edited by Lazlo; 07-20-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    That first tweet was in reference to the Jeepers Creepers director. I guess Gunn walked out of a script read with him and then mocked him on Twitter.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

They might be tasteless but they're also clearly jokes.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 07-20-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Ugh.
    But it's such a bad faith argument for these jerks to make. They're not offended. They're just trying to "own the libs", which is their sole reason for existing.
    The real difference I see (at least as far as Cernovich is concerned) is that Gunn is failing at humor, while deep diving on Cernovich's twitter has him recalling a real event of sexual misconduct/rape.

Has no one in Hollywood seen a Troma movie?

If you become a millionaire, you should delete twitter history, and restart with number one.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Someone should tell Disney that Robert Downey Jr. used to snort cocaine ten years ago so they can fire him too.

It's admittedly a strange place to be in. If you are a prospective candidate for a high-powered, public position, do you just pull out a list of all the stupid shit you've said or done throughout your life so the company knows what to expect if any of it ever comes to light? You're sure to miss certain things, and no one would do this in the first place, nor require it, and it seems odd to be raked over the coals for things far in your past if you've become a different person since then. Having said that, it's not like he was in his early twenties or something when he did this (tho I'm glad he took responsibility for his behavior at the time). It's weird all around.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Is it bad that I laughed at most of those tweets?

Quote Quoting James Gunn
    “The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!’”
    This one is admittedly pretty funny.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Funny thing is, Disney did this to avoid what? I never even saw this dude's tweet until it was confirmed he was fired. Wyran is spot on. Has no one at Disney ever seen a stand up act?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This is ridiculous.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    This one is admittedly pretty funny.
    Norm MacDonald line if there ever was one.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    This is ridiculous.
    Absolutely.

- - - - -
    You'll hate me, but: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Gunn has always been a schmuck and now it's caught up with him. And in the dumbest possible way.

After Quinn Norton was hired and fired by the NYT in less than 24 hours because of her twitter history, you'd think these idiots would have gotten wise and used something like TweetDelete.net to keep their post count low. Or had an assistant monitor their social media. Or something. But nooooooooo.

Disney has more resolve than just about any for-profit group outside the Russian Fucking Mafia. Bob Iger would rather lose half a billion today than damage the brand tomorrow. It's not surprising they fired Gunn. (Especially when one considers their longer term history; Disney has repeatedly demonstrated no loyalty to talent.)

It's a dirty trick on the part of Posobiec and Cernovich, who are both mouther breathers in their own right. But on balance they're doing the same thing the left does--- pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of entitled idiots.

In case anyone needs it, here's a refresher of nasty shit Gunn said both on his blog and on his twitter account:

https://imgur.com/a/rvbDryr

This stuff would embarrass an edgy 14 year old. Gunn posted it when he was pushing 40. His lame defense about how he's "grown" since 2010 reeks of pure bullshit. (And it always has. He had offer a similar excuse when people called him out years ago for his blog posts.)

I used to make a lot of stupid racy and offensive jokes 10 or so years ago online. I've caught a lot of it and have since deleted it, but I'm almost certain there's still trails somewhere online that I've missed, on forums I don't even remember the names of, assuming they're even still around. These sorts of stories just really keep me overly conscious of this sorta thing though, and second guessing what all I may have posted that someone, somewhere might find particularly offensive for one reason or another down the line, even over a decade since I used to blatantly post offensive stuff, because I was young and dumb and immature, and it was funny to us at that time.

But like, even on my blog or social media and forums posts since, when I'm not trying to be an immature dick and purposefully offend people, I'll think back to times I may have gone on rants or such and think, did I say anything at those times that I may be forgettig about that might come back to haunt me ten years from now? And I dunno, I just think that really sucks.

We've all said or done stupid or dickish things at some point in our past. But so long as it stays there, and we've grown into a better person since then, why should that shit getting dug up be held against our character as it stands today?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    The whole thing's a gross and ugly mess.

- - - - -
    We've all said or done stupid or dickish things at some point in our past. But so long as it stays there, and we've grown into a better person since then, why should that shit getting dug up be held against our character as it stands today?
    That's an interesting question. I think standards will change over generations, ie: a kid in college now will have a different view of this sort of blowback in the decades to come.

But I do think one major difference is in fame and platforms. When you said "stupid or dickish things," were you a 38 year old professional film director, already established with a platform, fans, and followers? Gunn was.

Unlike Quinn Norton, who stupidly tried to use twitter with some nuance, or Joy Ann Reid, who wrote ugly things at the beginning of her career, Gunn was (a) a grown fucking man and (b) already quasi-famous when he spewed this shit, and spewed it repeatedly over a period of time.

To me, that's not one-off bad behavior or a slip of the tongue. It indicates a way of looking at the world.

Yeah...I think I'm leaning Irish's way. While I agree we've all said dumb shit as the net grew, I'm only now pushing 40 and feel far less afraid about shit I've said in last decade than previous decade, and dont feel (pray memory serves) any of my worst was as bad as Gunn's. Still not sure it was fireable offense tho. You guys see Rosanne's explanation of the tweet that got her fired? That's some batshit clinical insanity right there.

Producer
    Yeah, I'm not defending Gunn, but the way the Roseanne case is what propels this, gets him an equal punishment, and then the right gloats and makes an equivalence of him and her really rubs me the wrong way. I know Disney doesn't want to appear double standard, but as of this point, Gunn's and Roseanne's actions are not remotely the same even if they happen to be on the same political standing. I mean, how they react to their firing alone... There must be a way to punish Gunn without equating his past but still real wrong and her still actively hateful wrong.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Literally none of those Tweets are funny. I would definitely fire him if he was writing jokes for me for that reason alone.

I mean, Disney can do what they want, but common sense tells me that Gunn's shitty attempt at humor (a) doesn't reflect his actual beliefs, and (b) has no bearing on his ability to churn out acceptable Marvel product, so I probably would have let it ride. Still, if you were happy to see Barr canned, you have to accept cases like this as well. (And vice versa, of course.)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    In case anyone needs it, here's a refresher of nasty shit Gunn said both on his blog and on his twitter account:

https://imgur.com/a/rvbDryr
    I don't understand what's on that link that would make me stop supporting Gunn.

The bottom line here is that I don't want to live on the McCarthy era. I don't think people should be "afraid" (to use TGM's own word) of saying insensitive stuff lest they lose their jobs. That's a shitty world and I want no part of it.

This is really infuriating stuff. I want there to be some kind of consequence that harms Disney for pulling this shit. Maybe if the cast from Guardians chooses to boycott the third installment.

I don't think Gunn himself would want that.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Another thing that would be awesome is if DC wised up and hired Gunn to do a L.E.G.I.O.N. film.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Another thing that would be awesome is if DC wised up and hired Gunn to do a film.
    Fixed. I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think this will kill his career, just probably at Disney.

Now this is what I'm talking about. If only the rest of the cast follow Bautista's lead we can beat these assholes.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 07-23-2018 at 11:02 PM.