Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

It is a weird look for VF.

Damnit, an elegant comic book Vanity Fair cover was a missed opportunity

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Russos just tweeted out the number 3. This could meet we are getting a trailer in 3 days, or December 3, or in 3 hours.

I'm guessing Dec 3rd during Sunday Night Football.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Russos just tweeted out the number 3.
    There's something about this sentence that gives me a profound sense of depression.

Maybe it'll take three movies to tell the story. lol

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    There's something about this sentence that gives me a profound sense of depression.
    I'm not following.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I feel ya damu

- - - - -
    Haven't you seen all these movies on their opening weekends?

You should be happy! Happy, DaMU, happy!

What am I missing here? It would be nice if someone could explain in the LEAST-DICKISH-MOST-NON-pretentious way possible.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    What am I missing here? It would be nice if someone could explain in the LEAST-DICKISH-MOST-NON-pretentious way possible.
    I don't know how to explain, honestly. Personal frustrations combined with franchise-specific frustrations combined with resentment over directors hyping the least-hype-necessary movie in history with a single Roman numeral. I've tried responding twice now in more detail but deleted the content because it keeps turning into word vomit run-on sentences, and I get the feeling you'd like reading that shit about as much as I'd like writing it. And piggybacking on your comment may make it seem like I have contempt for people who do like these movies or these scoops, which isn't the case, and after all, if I don't enjoy this franchise, then why respond at all, right?

Fuck.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 11-27-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Thanos IS the villain right?

This movie can only be mediocre at best, right? With maybe some good action sequences that have combined Marvel heroes, like Groot/Hulk, Iron Man/Spidey, etc?

Is the Venom movie going to be more unique, like Logan/Deadpool?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Don't forget, we have to endure the teaser for the teaser for 24 hours. I hate that shit so much that I'm refusing to get excited until the actual trailer drops.

Anyway, I read the Vanity Fair story. It's evocative, but reads like a lot of similar road to where they are now profiles I've read about the company (down to the usual "Ike Perlmutter, Edgar Wright, and Joss Whedon all declined to comment on this story.") It made me wonder if it's at all possible to write about the history of Marvel Studios without it ultimately being a Kevin Feige puff piece. I liked some of the anecdotes, though, particularly the emphasis on how he had the choice to be Shuler Donner or Richard Donner's assistant and chose Shuler even though he idolizes Richard because she was the busier of the two and he wanted to be a producer. Reads like a Sliding Doors moment that led to the creation of the MCU.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'll try: I'm totally sick of the modern day practice of non-stop teasing everything along the interminable marketing chain centered on What is Coming, from teasing future schedules to teasing casting to teasing trailers to teasing future movies via post-credits. The most annoying thing about it is that it works, the target audience eats it up, so it's not going to end anytime soon. I mean, we have reached the point now where people are excited about a tweet of a single numeric character.

You could argue "So what?" just enjoy the movies, right? But I've mentioned before that I think the constant bombardment of publicity for What is Coming means that the actual movies themselves are an afterthought, just something to get through so that we can play the next round in the What is Coming universe.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I don't know how to explain, honestly. Personal frustrations combined with franchise-specific frustrations combined with resentment over directors hyping the least-hype-necessary movie in history with a single Roman numeral. I've tried responding twice now in more detail but deleted the content because it keeps turning into word vomit run-on sentences, and I get the feeling you'd like reading that shit about as much as I'd like writing it. And piggybacking on your comment may make it seem like I have contempt for people who do like these movies or these scoops, which isn't the case, and after all, if I don't enjoy this franchise, then why respond at all, right?

Fuck.
    I guess the bigger question is, why do you even bother to read this thread if you don't like the franchise?

You and Trans should just stay away if it bothers you both that much.

I don't think discussion forums should work that way.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I guess the bigger question is, why do you even bother to read this thread if you don't like the franchise?

You and Trans should just stay away if it bothers you both that much.
    I thought you were aiming for NON-DICKISH?

Because, you know, asking for an explanation and then telling the people who did try to explain for you to piss off seems to be a very liberal interpretation of that concept.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 11-27-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Wait, don't you run to the DCEU thread with every negative story you can find?

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It's a one-way street, homie.

- - - - -
    Wow this got weird and ugly fast. Take a breath, fellas.

1. DaMU has repeatedly expressed his exhaustion with certain franchises. Haven't you been paying attention?

2. Transmorg's comment about the actual movies being secondary to "What is Coming" syndrome is interesting and worth discussion. (My sense is people will miss out on this, though.)

3. Maybe forums shouldn't work that way but Match Cut certainly does, at least on occasion. There can be a helluva lot of pushback on anyone who interrupts the feelgood fanboyism that exists in threads like this one, however they approach it.

4. I've been complaining about Disney and Marvel since at least 2012 and I don't get invited to leave the thread, too? Pffft! I'm going back to the Star Wars Megathread, where a good post is a good porg.

I don't relate to people who have superhero movie fatigue, but I definitely have superhero movie announcement and anticipation fatigue.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I don't relate to people who have superhero movie fatigue, but I definitely have superhero movie announcement and anticipation fatigue.
    Yes. I'm right here too.

Are you guys serious?

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I don't think discussion forums should work that way.
    And basically writing the verbal equivalent of a sigh isn't a discussion at all. Maybe we should all just post like memes instead.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Wait, don't you run to the DCEU thread with every negative story you can find?
    No.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)

Because, you know, asking for an explanation and then telling the people who did try to explain for you to piss off seems to be a very liberal interpretation of that concept.
    I was. I know it's so hard for you and Syco to act like we've known each other for more than 10 minutes.

No.
    All evidence to the contrary.

I was. I know it's so hard for you and Syco to act like we've known each other for more than 10 minutes.
    Geeeeez, dude.