Page 159 of 262 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209259 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    I kind of felt that about the first one, so, whatever.
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Hear, hear.
    Wow, really? For the life of me, I can't get a handle on either of yours taste---and all this time I thought I was the only one who was lukewarm on it.

(That bit in the prison with the dude's prosthetic leg makes me laugh every time, though. That shit was inspired.)

The first Guardians felt more concerned with how much fun it was having than how much I was. But it did have some good moments.

I am looking forward to Kurt Russell, though.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I dont have any insight into dual directing, but I love it when dual directors flip the bird at the guild rules. Nonsense. If people have found a way to co-direct, let em. Mildly weird that Marvel whos been terrified of frmale anything "finds" their female director in half a male team, but whatever. Wouldn't be questioning it if they hadnt been so adverse to female everything in the past, but here we be.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Wow, really? For the life of me, I can't get a handle on either of yours taste---and all this time I thought I was the only one who was lukewarm on it.
    I'm pretty quiet around these parts, but I really don't like Guardians. (Also, I don't like Marvel in general, so.) Its action was bloated and weightless, the soundtrack was fun and so what.

I don't think I like James Gunn very much.

I'm sure the DGA rules also exist to protect directors from studio fuckery. It's not always about two directors working together to realize the film of their common dreams. It's about keeping studio heads from undermining the process and hedging their bets by destabilizing the director's leadership.

Yes, the main historical reason for the implementation of the rule was diva actors. The guild doesn't want a star (especially if they have directorial aspirations) who demand this and that on set, suddenly claiming that they're a co-director and wanting to be credited as such. Clint Eastwood was notorious for this kind of thing in the 70s.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I'm pretty quiet around these parts, but I really don't like Guardians. (Also, I don't like Marvel in general, so.) Its action was bloated and weightless, the soundtrack was fun and so what.

I don't think I like James Gunn very much.
    What does that mean.... exactly. "Bloated and Weightless"?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What does that mean.... exactly. "Bloated and Weightless"?
    Bloated:
    The action pieces were overstuffed and overlong and overloud. Hyperactive and borderline incoherent. Fat as hell.

Weightless:
    The action setpieces were hollow and empty, tedious and unimpactful.

I recognized the seeming surface contradiction of the terms when I wrote what I wrote but decided I liked it.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for info Syco and 8. I assumed it was some silly thing lording over creators, like the credits all have to be up front that Lucas got fined for.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    See, Guardians is the Marvel movie I probably most wish was longer (for, I dunno, more team stuff before the final act? More funny interplay to just hang out in some of the cooler locales a little longer? Either way, just reaching.. No complaints), and it's definitely the one that has the most weight and impact on me.

Its last 15-20 minutes are just the perfect assault on my tearducts and the muscles it takes to make me grin ear to ear. The sort of warm, emotional nutrition I rarely get from big movies.

Totally prepared for Vol. 2 to not have that same effect on me, but I'm still looking forward to it immensely.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Bloated:
    The action pieces were overstuffed and overlong and overloud. Hyperactive and borderline incoherent. Fat as hell.

Weightless:
    The action setpieces were hollow and empty, tedious and unimpactful.

I recognized the seeming surface contradiction of the terms when I wrote what I wrote but decided I liked it.
    I dont even remember long tedious action bits.... are we watching the same movie? The finale is barely 20 minutes. Everything else is small and contained and definitely not empty. The intro scene alone qualifies as being the opposite of everything you listed. Are you over generalizing here?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Updated Predictions on Phase 4

Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme: May 1, 2020
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 July 10, 2020 (Celestialsssss)
    Adam Warlock: 2020

Spider-man <symbiote- it comes back to Earth via Infinity War> Nov 6, 2021
    Ironheart: 2021 (Mandarin Returns)
    Black Panther 2: 2021

Captain Marvel 2: 2022
    Namor the Sub-Mariner: 2022
    There will probably be a 3rd movie in 2022 so we'll call this Ant-man 3

Spider-man 3 2023
    Avengers: Illuminati 2023
    There's tons of little rumor headlines and tidbits that makes my first three movies here, solid choices if you were in Vegas.

are we watching the same movie?
    I would guess no.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I just thought it was overly clever and self-referential in a way that wasn't as formally interesting as, say, Deadpool was. The absurd amount of hype around it might have prepared me for something it wasn't, though.

There were a lot of really good moments, but when Dave Bautista is the most memorable part of your movie, you're probably doing something wrong.

All respect to Bautista though, because that guy could kill me.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

- - - - -
    I dont even remember long tedious action bits.... are we watching the same movie? The finale is barely 20 minutes. Everything else is small and contained and definitely not empty. The intro scene alone qualifies as being the opposite of everything you listed. Are you over generalizing here?
    Nobody watches "Guardians" for the action. I mean, if we compare it to any other blockbuster of its size and scope (from "Raiders" to "The Matrix" and beyond) it doesn't have a single memorable set piece. Nor does it have a single memorable visual (it could have had em, but Gunn's pacing is so frantic and desperate that he misses the obvious opportunities).

Personally, I'm at the point that if unless you're Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, Woo-ping Yuen, Tsui Hark, or Johnny To --- well, I'm already bored by your faux action American bullshit, which more often that not involves a small army outfitted with machine guns and enough cross cutting to invoke seizures in epileptics.

The problem with the ending of "Guardians" is that it fits the Marvel template to a tee -- it's exactly the same ending as we already saw in stuff like "Winter Soldier" or "Ultron." Lots of shit thrown at the screen, a ton of CGI, and that feeling of weightlessness that Sync mentioned.

I think it's a fun movie, in parts, and most of the comedy works and that the soundtrack pumps a ton of energy into a story and characters that aren't, on their own, really all that interesting.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I really like the long take where Raccoon's discussing the prison escape in the foreground while you watch Groot recede into the background, stretch out of frame, grab the battery thing, return into frame, and yank it free right after Raccoon explains that that particular step has to be done last. That moment had a great sense of wit and relied on us paying attention to the composition.

The prison escape might be one of the better sequences in all of Marvel's movies.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I really like both the first chase scene where the team all meets and the prison escape. The last combat scene is not my thing at all, long and generic and loses most of playful feel of the film.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The prison escape might be one of the better sequences in all of Marvel's movies.
    Agreed.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    So the guy who wrote & produced The Last Stand will be writing & possibly directing the next X-Men film which will be a Dark Phoenix story.

Not a good sign.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

With so many cool villains left untapped, I find it extremely annoying that they are so obsessed with the Phoenix saga, a story that cannot be told in one film. Even a trilogy would be tough, because its such a weird story.

So the guy who wrote & produced The Last Stand will be writing & possibly directing the next X-Men film which will be a Dark Phoenix story.

Not a good sign.
    Yeh and Kevin Feige produced that movie too. That movie was shitty because Ratner didn't understand the source material.

Yeh and Kevin Feige produced that movie too. That movie was shitty because Ratner didn't understand the source material.
    ...or directing, acting, writing, etc.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Yes, shame on Ratner, but the studio was also pushing the film when they didn't have a script ready, and I'd argue that the best writer involved with X2 (Michael Dougherty) ducked out to help Singer with Superman Returns, leaving scripting duties to Zak Penn and Simon Kinberg, who both have more uneven filmographies.

Not a good sign.
    I thought you were talking about Jee-Woon Kim.