Page 158 of 262 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208258 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

Discuss.
    Have there been other uses of Mr. Blue Sky?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

"lots of character bits, not much story"

My kinda shindig.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    If by "not much story" they mean "not much convoluted or imposed plotting," then yeah, I'm onboard.

But if they literally mean "not much story," ehh...

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Dual directors for Captain Marvel? Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ca...ck-1201994270/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Holy shit, I haven't heard their names in a while. I think Sugar was the last film of theirs I watched. That's a really surprising choice.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeh they weren't on the list of probables that Marvel was looking into from a few weeks ago.

Weird to think those two are the final pieces of all the announced movies from Marvel.

I love speculating on Phase 4- When they are finally ready to announce those movies (which won't probably be until after May 4, 2018) they will probably have already locked down directors for the first half of those movies.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yeah, if Half Nelson was this past awards season instead of a decade ago, this might've made sense, but I would've never guessed them now.

Still, I liked It's Kind Of A Funny Story (though that's coming up on 7 years ago), and though I heard good things about Mississippi Grind, I never saw it. Otherwise they've directed a bunch of episodes of The Affair, Looking and Billions, but not ones I ended up seeing.

But then again, I'm not sure Marvel has gone with expected choices since Whedon and Black gave people what they wanted.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)

But then again, I'm not sure Marvel has gone with expected choices since Whedon and Black gave people what they wanted.
    Gunn for GotG vol3 was expected. Vol2 is guarreteed to be a monster so it only makes sense for him to do 3. Win win for both parties. Feige also said he expects Gunn to be a life long consultant on the MCU post vol3 because he enjoys that universe so much. He's basically an easier to work with Whedon.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Gunn for GotG vol3 was expected. Vol2 is guarreteed to be a monster so it only makes sense for him to do 3. Win win for both parties. Feige also said he expects Gunn to be a life long consultant on the MCU post vol3 because he enjoys that universe so much. He's basically an easier to work with Whedon.
    Well I meant aside from sequel returns. Gunn wasn't everyone's first thought for the first Guardians either. His closest proximity to franchise stuff previously was writing the Scooby-Doo movies a decade before.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

- - - - -
    Dual directors for Captain Marvel? Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck.
    Well, I guess that's one way to hire a woman and not hire her.

How they gonna work this with DGA rules?

Huh? Boden and Fleck have always directed together. They've been partners since they were in film school. They have never had any DGA issues. You can apply to be guild members as co-directors.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Huh? The DGA has an agreement with the studios that there's only one director on a film. (The Coen Bros films only credit one brother per role, Robert Rodriguez notably quit the guild over this, etc.)

I'm assuming their shared credits were on non-union films. "Half Nelson," by contrast, has only one credited director--Fleck.

Russo Brothers?
    Wachowskis?
    Lord and Miller?

Coens have been credited as co-directors since No Country, if I'm not mistaken.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

What about all the Pixar movies with double director duty?

- - - - -
    What about all the Pixar movies with double director duty?
    Different guild.

Huh? The DGA has an agreement with the studios that there's only one director on a film. (The Coen Bros films only credit one brother per role, Robert Rodriguez notably quit the guild over this, etc.)

I'm assuming their shared credits were on non-union films. "Half Nelson," by contrast, has only one credited director--Fleck.
    The Coens have not done that in over a decade. The DGA has a "Singularity of vision" waiver that they grant to co-directing teams. This is how the aforementioned directors listed by others above work. Boden and Fleck have that waiver.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Ah -- since 2009. That answers my question then. (I'm surprised at the relatively high number of waivers issued over the last decade; they used to be a lot more reticent about doing so.)

Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris too.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Cloud Atlas had the most interesting case. The way they ended up getting it through the DGA was by dividing the credits into "segments" (the way credits work with anthology features), which was easy to convince since the movie had multiple time periods, but that was actually a flat out lie. The Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer directed the entire movie as a trio and did not divide the script at all.
    Movie Theater Diary

What is the reason for the DGA discouraging "team directing"?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

It basically boils down to the guild's belief that a Director is a leadership position, and you usually have a single leader on group efforts. That may sound petty, but it's not really that unusual if you compare it to how other organizations/businesses work: there's one President of a country, one CEO of a company, one captain of a ship, etc. It gets muddy because we're talking about artists making art, but as a union, the guild has to see it as jobs. A film set is a workplace, and you have one person who's most in charge of that workplace, leading the different departments.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    They also didn't want people giving out "gift credits" and rendering the director credit meaningless, which is exactly what happened to the producer's credit (and why the Producer's Guild recently changed their own rules).

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris too.
    And the Farrelly brothers.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar

Discuss.
    I kind of felt that about the first one, so, whatever.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    I kind of felt that about the first one, so, whatever.
    Hear, hear.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer