Page 152 of 262 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Looks.... a little labored.
    Yeah, but that's also Gunn, right? The first movie crams 10,000 elements into every frame, then animates them. This one looks like he's trying to break that record.

It doesn't help that I've just come off Logan, which has thrown into sharp relief how much I don't care about save the world/galaxy plots and massive action scenes.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Die spaceship!

Where's Stallone?
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Expectations high.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Looks.... a little labored.
    I'm hoping to enjoy it more and get more out of it than the first one, which felt enormously pleased with itself and only occasionally made me laugh. I liked Bautista and the climax though.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Not that it's too surprising, but the reported budget on Avengers 3 & 4 is a Billion dollars. I think we all expected the budgets to be near $250 each, plus marketing, but I find it a little bit surprising they weren't able to save money filming them back to back, which I thought was the whole point.

No less, not really anything groundbreaking. Just a discussion topic.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So according to our previous discussion on budgets, each film will have to make a billion to break even? Seems to me like this is a big step up in budgets. Wasnt the last most expensive film in the 300ish range?

The most expensive movie ever made was the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean movie, at nearly $400MM.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    This is a dumb rumor (it's also almost two years old).

Not sure why it's popping up again.

"Failing studios spend a BILLION on superhero silliness. Sad!"
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The most expensive movie ever made was the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean movie, at nearly $400MM.
    The shitty mermaid one?? Wow.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    So according to our previous discussion on budgets, each film will have to make a billion to break even? Seems to me like this is a big step up in budgets. Wasnt the last most expensive film in the 300ish range?
    They'd have to hit closer to $1.5 billion each to be safe*, and that ain't gonna happen. The high water mark for Marvel is still The Avengers in 2012. Their audience has noticeably shrunk since then.

The downside to a cinematic universe is that every entry is a referendum on the whole. If people aren't excited by Ant-Man, Strange, or Thor, it's less likely they'll run out to see Infinity.

* This is why the rumor is dumb, along with the really stupid reasons sites like Cinemablend and Comicbook.com gave for the phantom budgets.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    The shitty mermaid one?? Wow.
    Yep. Johnny Depp's salary alone was $55 million.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yep. Johnny Depp's salary alone was $55 million.
    I remember almost nothing about that flick except I hated it. Its so weird how the special effects in that movie (just for an example of something I assume takes a big chunk of budget) had zero resonance, but a tentpole with a reasonable budget like Guardians of the Galaxy looks REAL and like it must have cost eleventy billion dollars to make.

- - - - -
    One thing I didn't notice in the bootleg that was floating around --- there's a movie theater across the street from the phone booth and it's playing "Logan."

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    One thing I didn't notice in the bootleg that was floating around --- there's a movie theater across the street from the phone booth and it's playing "Logan."
    Yeah, that was one of the first things I noticed when they played this before the movie.

I noticed the Firefly posters after the Stan Lee bit.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    For those that saw this with Logan, there was no call made in the phone booth or Stan Lee cameo, right?

Either way it really annoyed me for maybe the first minute because I thought it Logan's opening scene (since it was actually attached to the film and not the trailers) and I thought, "Oh god, keep him out of this..."

Once I saw the movie's title on the marquee it clicked that it thankfully was not.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 03-05-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    For those that saw this with Logan, there was no call made in the phone booth or Stan Lee cameo, right?

Either way it really annoyed me for maybe the first minute because I thought it Logan's opening scene (since it was actually attached to the film and not the trailers) and I thought, "Oh god, keep him out of this..."

Once I saw the movie's title on the marquee it clicked that it thankfully was not.
    There was not, no.

And lol, I actually thought the same thing.

I'm loving the colors here.

Movie Theater Diary

Wow.

I forgot Jeff Goldblum was in this. Yeh this is now my #1 anticipated MCU movie of the year.

Jeff Goldblum saw Benicio and said, "Fuck it! I got this!"

EDIT: In a surprise cameo, though, he'll lose a game of Earth chess to Judd Hirsch.

--Homer

Whoever thought of casting Goldblum and Benicio as brothers deserves a parade. I really, really hope we get to see a scene with them both in Infinity Wars.
    Movie Theater Diary

I love the colors too, with the exception of Goldblum's teal lipstick thing. Probably look better in film.