Page 146 of 262 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

I feel bad for Dinklage that most movie site speculation immediately goes to Pip just because he's a little person.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I'll bet a voice of a character.
    I hope not. His voice performance in Destiny was god awful. But I could also seeing the kind of cosmic character like Eternity working- something with an epic type of voice.

I hope it's the Watcher. So bad.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

What if it's MODOK?

MODOK was first thing to snap to my mind as well.

He didn't play a role in Infinity Gauntlet though.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

In the comic, which means squat all for the movie.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeh I know. But MODOK is a far out there character that would be hard to introduce to general audiences. I can see the other characters as being way more acceptable and easier to slide in.

I forgot that he was already Trask in X-Men. And he seemed bored and insignificant as hell in that movie. What a waste.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I just figured it out.

Dinklage is Warlock.

Spoilers Galore. Recommend to not watch.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Enh, still not particularly overwhelmed with what we learn about the story there. Doesn't seem like anything we wouldn't get from the first act, aside from some of the action.

Another really good trailer. First one is still king though. If you're already sold after that one, then yeah, you don't need to watch this one.

One really interesting, strange idea early on in it, though. [
    ]
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Really? I haven't read Old Man Logan so I didn't see anything too spoilery, or at least I don't think I did.

There's some action bits in that trailer I wish I didn't see. But no, story wise, there is nothing you could piece together.

I doubt it will follow the Old Man Logan story aside from taking place in the future and having an older Logan. Fox doesn't hold the rights to half the characters that showed up in Old Man Logan anyway.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    While he's never quite been in a movie that made full use of his character and potential as an actor, Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is probably my favorite match of actor to superhero... ever? Christopher Reeve's Superman is probably the only one who's as effortlessly plausible and empathetic.

Someone help me out, who am I forgetting? (Not Keaton's Batman, who's convincing but too opaque for my taste.)

Anyway, flick looks good. Found The Wolverine diverting enough, and the stylistic leap here - while a bit cliche (sepia! sepia everywhere!) - at least makes the film look distinct.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 01-19-2017 at 06:57 PM.

I like Jackman's portrayal of Logan a lot, but my familiarity with the comics version has always created a feeling of disconnect when thinking of him in relation to that character, because it's so different physically and in their manners.

For me, there's probably never been a better marriage of how an actor is perceived and how a superhero is perceived than Wesley Snipes as Blade. They're both the exact same mix of corny and pompous. Other casting choices tend to allow the actor to make the characters their own by injecting a bit of their own sensibilities (Tony Stark being the nuclear-grade example of this), but Snipes and Blade pretty much just merged into one.
    Movie Theater Diary

Jackman, RDJ and Chris Evans as Captain America has been pretty spot on. Some of the lines he says best portrays that character.

Steve Rogers: "Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time"

Tony Stark: Does anybody remember when I put a missile through a portal, in New York City? We were standing right under it. We're the Avengers, we can bust weapons dealers the whole doo-da-day, but how do we cope with something like that?
    Steve Rogers: Together.

Steve Rogers: Ultron thinks we're monsters, that we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him, it's about whether he's right.

Agree with everything said so far. My biggest (hell, only really) issue with Jackman is he's been written kinda wrong. He's done his very best at every turn. He can't help his height. Every time I think he's killing it in a scene, my brain pops back to that damned first season of the animated show where Wolverine is short, beefy, nearly uncontrollable asshole. Thats the Wolverine that I think of as the gold standard. Jackman has done excellent with the material he's been given, but most of his portrayal has been basically the What If? version where Wolverine is the leader of the X-Men instead of Scott. Its not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a fan favorite character being forced into a different position. Any one else remember that issue?

X-Men 1 Wolverine still the best. Pissed off, confused about his past, and...PISSED OFF.

Also, while every single other thing is flawed in the film, Stallone as Judge Dredd just seems right to me.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Also, while every single other thing is flawed in the film, Stallone as Judge Dredd just seems right to me.
    Karl Urban though, man.

Also, while we're on the topic of perfect casting, kinda surprised no one's mentioned Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool yet.

Karl Urban though, man.
    While I love him and that movie is awesome, Stallone feels more like the unrelenting "I believe my beliefs are absolutely right" type.

Also, while we're on the topic of perfect casting, kinda surprised no one's mentioned Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool yet.
    Because like RDJ, its almost type-casting lol. They ARE those people.

Vin Diesel

I'll say this, in a day and age where studios are so insecure that we get such awkward titles as "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1" and "The Divergent Series: Insurgent", at least Fox has the faith in their audience to know what "Logan" is without having the title awkwardly dumbed down and spelled out for them.

Have a hard time with the "it's not the way I see it / it's not like the comics" criticisms.

Not specifically this movie or conversation, just generally.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Have a hard time with the "it's not the way I see it / it's not like the comics" criticisms.

Not specifically this movie or conversation, just generally.
    I know. Me too, and Im guilty of this. Its just tough when they swap personalities.

It begs the question of what makes "perfect casting." Is it someone who appears like they embody the canon of the characterization, or the perception of the character's premise? I keep going back to Tony Stark because it really is the best example of an actor who plays his character so insanely differently from the comics, but if you just describe "rich, arrogant, brilliant, domineering prick who wants to be good" you think that's a snug fit for Downey. And obviously the character ends up working very well being molded in the actor's image. So much so that the comics then copied him.

I find that to be an interesting line to cross.
    Movie Theater Diary