Results 3,576 to 3,600 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Oh my god this is going to be so fun.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Trailer pushes the quirks of the characters far too hard; hopefully the film itself is not like that. Baby Groot will only work well in moderation.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Ah wow. Was not expecting this so soon. So, so good. Love the visuals, the scope, and the colours especially.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Trailer pushes the quirks of the characters far too hard; hopefully the film itself is not like that. Baby Groot will only work well in moderation.
    I kinda agree, but I love these characters and the original movie (easily my #1 MCU) so much that it's kind of hard to complain seeing even slightly overreached versions of everything again.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Oh my Wryan, if this is a big step up from the first film, I'll be so in the stratosphere my head will blow clean off my shoulders. GOTG is maybe best thing MCU has produced.

Oh shit.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I fucking love webpits.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Finally!

Edit: Am I the only one that is in love with the Spidey Signal light thingy he shines on criminals? I would love to see that worked in in a silly way.

I love those glimpses but kinda hope Happy doesn't have too much of a presence. I don't hate the idea of Tony being involved, but too much of them both might be.. too much.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Theres already been far too much Tony Stark in every-damn-thing.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I don't hate the idea of Tony being involved, but too much of them both might be.. too much.
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Theres already been far too much Tony Stark in every-damn-thing.
    Disney will overuse RDJ in the advertisements because he's still the biggest draw in the MCU and the kid is an unknown. (cf: Darth Vader in Rogue One).

They also tend to create casting tag teams when they aren't confident about a specific star (cf: Winter Soldier, The Force Awakens).

How much runtime RDJ will get will depend on how much Disney wants to pander to fans and how much they want to push their property/ continuity over Sony's.

I figure it will fall on a spectrum somewhere between the "Peter Parker/ Aunt May scene in Civil War" to "Harrison Ford taking over the second act of The Force Awakens."
    Last edited by Irish; 12-08-2016 at 01:43 AM.

I think I love it already.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

- - - - -
    I really like that kid, whoever he is.

I want to see this for Peter Parker's story. He's such a great character.

The blockbuster super-deluxe action CGI climax bullshit is a lot less interesting; I can get that from every other Marvel movie.

Eh, that trailer sorta kills my expectations for the movie. :\

- - - - -
    Eh, that trailer sorta kills my expectations for the movie. :\
    Really? Why? How?

I thought it looked fun, mostly.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Really? Why? How?

I thought it looked fun, mostly.
    It just looked unimpressive to me. I dunno, maybe it's Marvel fatigue (the Iron Man stuff here didn't help), maybe I'm just overly skeptical of having any real expectations for these movies after being let down so many times recently (Doctor Strange in particular was such a disappointment I'm even skeptical going into GotG2, despite loving the first movie and despite those previews looking alright so far). Or maybe it's the fact that this is now our third try at Spider-Man in an embarrassingly short span of time, and nothing about this trailer really stood out as a reason to get excited for this particular outing? I dunno, I'm sure it'll be fine, but I just can't get hyped for this one, and that trailer certainly didn't show me anything to dissuade that for me as of yet. It doesn't look bad, it just looks like just another cookie-cutter Marvel movie.

I can't decide whether the trailer using MGMT's "Time To Pretend" in that high school montage makes me feel really good as it was a definitive song in high school for me, or suddenly fairly old because I realize the song will soon be a decade old..

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

- - - - -
    It just looked unimpressive to me. I dunno, maybe it's Marvel fatigue (the Iron Man stuff here didn't help), maybe I'm just overly skeptical of having any real expectations for these movies after being let down so many times recently (Doctor Strange in particular was such a disappointment I'm even skeptical going into GotG2, despite loving the first movie and despite those previews looking alright so far). Or maybe it's the fact that this is now our third try at Spider-Man in an embarrassingly short span of time, and nothing about this trailer really stood out as a reason to get excited for this particular outing? I dunno, I'm sure it'll be fine, but I just can't get hyped for this one, and that trailer certainly didn't show me anything to dissuade that for me as of yet. It doesn't look bad, it just looks like just another cookie-cutter Marvel movie.
    Well, can't argue against that---all good reasons

Producer
    Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I can't decide whether the trailer using MGMT's "Time To Pretend" in that high school montage makes me feel really good as it was a definitive song in high school for me, or suddenly fairly old because I realize the song will soon be a decade old..
    If that doesn't do, Tom Holland will manage the rest. My primary thought throughout is, even more so than in Civil War, "Gosh he looks so young!" Probably the first time I recognize I'm going to watch a superhero film in which the protagonist both is and looks younger than me.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

The Tom Holland Spider-Man stuff is great.

The Iron Man stuff grinds it to a halt. Crimony. Its like they're afraid Spider-Man can't carry his own movie. Maybe its just me and I'm just getting very tired of Tony Snark.

I kinda agree with the Iron Man fatigue after watching the trailer. It's not needed. Spider-man has always been a huge film for Marvel, why do they think he needs a sidekick?

I can't tell where this movie is taking place. Is it in DC or NYC? If it's NYC, they are going to have a huge problem on their hands dealing with the Defender stuff.

Still super excited though.

Here's the international trailer with more dialog and more Vulture.

- - - - -
    *shouts into the wind*

Because the last 3 Spider-man movies were failures and

*takes a deep breath, keeps shouting*

Tom Holland has no profile and

nobody knows if an audience will buy him and

RDJ is a proven commodity

*gasps, hoarse and out of breath*

*wheezes*

*barely whispers*

They only people who care about The Defenders are fanboys and TV critics, so Disney will ignore it completely on the big screen

*collapses from exhaustion*

I sympathize with the above. I keep feeling like a buzzkill telling people (not just here) that the TV shows mean jack shit to the MCU. I should probably just let it go.

Having Spidey and Tony in the same movie seems like it's setting a massive expectation that one of them will call Vulture a "Birdman."
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Also, I like that there are pictures of Bruce Banner and Howard Stark in a high school. In terms of building a shared universe, that > having RDJ show up.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Also, I like that there are pictures of Bruce Banner and Howard Stark in a high school. In terms of building a shared universe, that > having RDJ show up.
    How the fuck did you see that? Nice work.