Page 100 of 262 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

I understand, but you dont know how you'll feel UNTIL you peek.

Edit: i mean this in the general sense of any person, not you specifically.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I understand, but you dont know how you'll feel UNTIL you peek.

Edit: i mean this in the general sense of any person, not you specifically.
    The edit makes more sense, because in my case, I did know how I would feel because of the news outlets who peaked and then relayed what they'd found in headlines that were innocuous enough to make me feel more comfortable clicking the link. And I did not seek out these headlines, they appeared on my Facebook feed.

this is why I don't like discussing these things on the internet. Without my cartoonish hand waving, and the soothing tenor of my gentle voice, everything I say sounds aggressive and I constantly have to edit. :lol:

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    It's the same problem on principle but not the same one on scale. Private electronic information has been compromised, but all pieces of information are not equal. As a victim, I'd feel more violated if someone snuck into my house and stole my diaries and photo albums than if they stole my business documents.

If you think one is wrong, you have to think both are wrong in order to be ethically consistent, for sure, but you can also vary your outrage.
    This might be unnecessarily fanning the flame, but I also feel that the tabooness we apply to female sexuality and nudity is at play in the difference, and that's why I tend to err on these things on the privacy issue primarily. Because we are obviously relying on conjecture and social norms in deciding for ourselves without asking the victims which one they would be more outraged by. Surely for some people, having sexy pictures stolen and broadcast would be less damaging overall than documents and private messages that may impact your business/income.

It was an issue I had with the conversations that were happening during the photo leaks, too, that most people and the media focused their discussion more on the photos themselves than the crime that happened.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

this is why I don't like discussing these things on the internet. Without my cartoonish hand waving, and the soothing tenor of my gentle voice, everything I say sounds aggressive and I constantly have to edit. :lol:
    Far better to discuss things with you in a (relatively, though my snark didn't help) calm and respectful manner than the ways in which internet discussions can and usually devolve. I appreciate your insights and respect you as a poster, which is why I wanted to continue the discussion with you rather than leaving it at my snark and your walking away.

High five. And finally watching New Girl so I finally get your av and it constantly makes me smile.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    This might be unnecessarily fanning the flame, but I also feel that the tabooness we apply to female sexuality and nudity is at play in the difference, and that's why I tend to err on these things on the privacy issue primarily. Because we are obviously relying on conjecture and social norms in deciding for ourselves without asking the victims which one they would be more outraged by. Surely for some people, having sexy pictures stolen and broadcast would be less damaging overall than documents and private messages that may impact your business/income.
    Good point, and I was presumptuous to say that no one would feel more victimized by having those emails linked that naked pictures, but that tabooness exists whether we want it to or not. You're right that some people would find their naked image less damaging than business emails, but because of the society and the culture in which we were raised and live, that would likely be a vast minority.

Im not sure why its okay to read hacked emails but scummy to view hacked pictures. Whats the difference? Isnt the invasion of privacy equal?

Im uncomfortable.
    Good point. I'm not even sure the hacked emails must necessarily feel less invasive than the hacked photos. It's probably the case, but different people react differently. The leaked emails could have substantial impact on people's work relationships and careers. Some of the emails from the Sony head, especially, come off as moments of weakness ("why are u punishing me"), and she could feel that having those private moments aired in public is incredibly embarrassing and invasive.

Edit: I see I'm behind in the conversation...
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

This reference is very different but might be relevant, and it came to mind so Im mentioning it. ..does anyone remember The Contender with Joan Allen? The end of that movie punched me right in the face. "Because it would mean they had the right to ask."

I don't know about the moral aspect of it, but reading those e-mails was fucking hilarious. It does sound like Scott Rudin has his head screwed on tighter than anyone else about a lot of things.

I feel similar to what DaMU said - the crime is the same but the scale is different.

Both are huge invasions of privacy and could lead to serious repercussions in the victims' lives, and I believe in both cases the perpetrators deserve jail time.

The pics I just, personally, found to be an ickier situation all round.

Though I will say that those who said/say that someone viewing the pics is in effect a rapist are stupid, and making a mockery of a horrible crime.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Bwhahaha

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Another news that came out of the leak: the Russo brothers are directing Avengers Infinity War.

It's crazy that potentially many other studios' plans are revealed because one person's email got hacked.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I thought that had already been announced?

News to me. I approve. Wondering what Joss will be doing with this universe after Ulton.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I thought that had already been announced?
    Nope.

Sometimes it's difficult to remember what were announcements and what were just rumors.
    Movie Theater Diary

True. Stupid internet.

Yeah, I thought it was announced some time back that James Gunn was going to direct the third Avengers. :\

Why are news sites still talking about Spider-Man joining the MCU as if it might happen?

My understanding was that the leaked e-mails showed they were working on it, and came close, but that ultimately it's not happening.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Why are news sites still talking about Spider-Man joining the MCU as if it might happen?

My understanding was that the leaked e-mails showed they were working on it, and came close, but that ultimately it's not happening.
    Because all they care about is people clicking on their pages not on reporting actual news.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Last I read the bigwigs at Sony Japan are mad at Sony Pictures for botching their handling of the property and think they ought to have made the deal with Marvel. Sounds like it could happen.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Last I read the bigwigs at Sony Japan are mad at Sony Pictures for botching their handling of the property and think they ought to have made the deal with Marvel. Sounds like it could happen.
    Considering it was revealed Sony has no idea where to take the Spider-man franchise... I'd bet it's inevitable.

Yeah, I'm starting to think we will see Spiderman in the MCU by the time Infinity War comes out. Sony has dropped the ball on the character and he is the flagship face of the Marvel Universe.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Sony definitely dropped the ball I mean Amazing Spiderman 2 only made 700 million dollars.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Sony definitely dropped the ball I mean Amazing Spiderman 2 only made 700 million dollars.
    Which is the least grossing Spiderman movie so far. Plus it's the lowest critically reviewed. Sony Execs aren't stupid. They know they have a dud on their hand. They are clueless and have no idea what to do with this franchise. That's why they are greenlighting an Aunt Mae spinoff. I guarantee you there will not be an Amazing Spiderman 3.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft