Page 258 of 262 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260 ... LastLast
Results 6,426 to 6,450 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Is Morbius even part of the MCU, like Venom?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It was cool in the 90s animated spiderman series

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Is Morbius even part of the MCU, like Venom?
    Venom is not part of the MCU.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Venom is not part of the MCU.
    That matter is up for argument, seeing as how the very end of the last Venom movie went...
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    That matter is up for argument, seeing as how the very end of the last Venom movie went...
    You guys are confusing Sony Produced movies and Marvel produced movies. Just because [
    ] doesn't mean Venom will appear fighting Doctor Strange in a Marvel produced movie.

Sony is doing their own thing, and there was agreement between Disney and Sony that Sony can (Finally) pull in Spider-Man for their own little mini-connected universe they want to make. So it's pretty obvious they are making a Sinister Six movie. Les we all forget that Michael Keaton also showed up in Venom and looks like he's showing up in Morbius too.

So now we have Vulture, Morbius, Venom, and we have a Kraven the Hunter movie coming. Who knows if they are also going to recurrent all the enemies in the upcoming Spider-man too and pull them into this Sony thing.

Edit: Oh and even Mysterio...

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Duke, that's not what happened at the end of Venom 2...

[
    ]

You're right that Venom wasn't part of the MCU initially, but he absolutely is now.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Ummm wow. No I wasn't aware of that.... ugh.... zomg?

Because they want their name, not their talents.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Because they want their name, not their talents.
    No I don't think so. They hire directors for the human on human stuff, and maybe in some cases like Gunn, the ensemble stuff or Whedon the dialog. But It's think it's actually a lot more complicated than that and Eternals is probably their biggest risk to date. We saw this front and center when Marvel and Edgar Wright parted ways. They didn't want his unique style (like Scott Pilgrim) as part of a connected universe. They didn't want that kind of distinct look in their connected universe. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see that. But their approach was it was a new IP and didn't want to confuse people. I don't really blame Marvel for this- but Eternals is the first movie that looks nothing like any of the previous.

So baby steps?

That's what I'm saying, though. They hire a director so they can put on trailers and posters "FROM EDGAR WRIGHT, DIRECTOR OF HOT FUZZ AND SHAUN OF THE DEAD!!!!" but they 100% do not want him putting any of his distinct style or flavour into the thing.

At the risk of being cynical, I imagine they chose Zhao because...
    -she's a recent Oscar winner
    -she's a female POC, which looks great on Disney right now

No one in the world watched Nomadland and said to themselves "this screams Marvel".

I don't know the exact timeline, but I'd imagine they talked to Zhao long before Nomadland was a hit. Which would suggest they had the idea after seeing The Rider, and that's even weirder.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I don't know the exact timeline, but I'd imagine they talked to Zhao long before Nomadland was a hit. Which would suggest they had the idea after seeing The Rider, and that's even weirder.
    I think Nomadland was in production and/or finished when she was hired for Eternals. Well before Zhao got nominated for any Oscar. I remember there being rumors that it could hit festivals in the fall of 2019, so I think it sat finished on the shelf for a while before it premiered, and Zhao was shooting Eternals in the interim. Directors get hired based on more than just what movies have come out. There's advance word/eyes-on of their upcoming releases, commercial and TV work, the pitches the directors offer in meetings, studio relationships with their agents, etc.

Having not seen Eternals, I agree that Marvel has a way of sanding down whatever's generally distinctive about a given directors' style, but I think it's silly for people to expect anything else by this point.
    Last edited by Lazlo; 11-09-2021 at 07:11 PM.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

The Eternals is so incredibly okay I forgot I watched it.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

No one in the world watched Nomadland and said to themselves "this screams Marvel".
    This should be thrown away because no one saw Russo Brothers and said... OMG Captain America Winter Soldier. Or Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck would be perfect for Captain Marvel!

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This should be thrown away because no one saw Russo Brothers and said... OMG Captain America Winter Soldier. Or Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck would be perfect for Captain Marvel!
    Oh, agreed 100%!

I think the Russo Brothers' success was a crazy fluke.

Does anyone else feel like most "leaks" these days are 100% studio coordinated and intentional?

Absolutely.

Oh, agreed 100%!

I think the Russo Brothers' success was a crazy fluke.
    I don't see how, since their work in the MCU has become less distinctive as they've climbed the ladder, if you ask me. I mean, for all its flaws, Winter Soldier still distinguished itself from the rest of the 'verse with its 70's political thriller-style spin on the series, along with its particularly intense, impressive action scenes (the latter of which they mentioned was a reflection of their personal tastes), but Civil War lost the former aspect along with focusing less on the action, and by the time they got to Infinity War/Endgame, a lot of the battle scenes in those two were indistinguishable from any other random hordes of CGI warriors clashing in any other Marvel movie, or in a lot of other blockbusters, for that matter.

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    I don't see how, since their work in the MCU has become less distinctive as they've climbed the ladder, if you ask me. I mean, for all its flaws, Winter Soldier still distinguished itself from the rest of the 'verse with its 70's political thriller-style spin on the series, along with its particularly intense, impressive action scenes (the latter of which they mentioned was a reflection of their personal tastes), but Civil War lost the former aspect along with focusing less on the action, and by the time they got to Infinity War/Endgame, a lot of the battle scenes in those two were indistinguishable from any other random hordes of CGI warriors clashing in any other Marvel movie, or in a lot of other blockbusters, for that matter.
    I dunno. The apt escape scene in Civil War is on par with the stuff in Winter Soldier. But I agree with this sentiment overall.

I think this is why Falcon and the Winter Soldier was so disappointing. Nothing in that series came close to that kind of choreography.

The Winter Solider remains the #1 MCU movie.

The captain America strain remains the best of the mcu.

"A month of resorts for dr strange 2 is significant."

I don't think so. The amount big actor schedules, the world they're trying to wrangle (with Sony mixed somewhat presumably as well), and [possibly] other characters coming in...I freakin hate these reshoots stories as interpreted as the film is in trouble. It's Raimi, right? I'm fairly confident that young whippersnapper can handle a fuckin comic book movie.

Rumors abound that the reshoots for Doctor Strange 2 are...

[
    ]

Producer
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5