Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Yep I've definitely come around on the superhero stuff.

I don't see anything passing the OG Avengers on the hype train.
    Yeah. They struck gold with RDJ's iconic performance and milked it for all it was worth. It was a true "star" performance - which is the real secret to box office success. Not IPs, stars. I don't see any stars or star-making performances happening in Eternals.

I love how all the wild psychedelic colors and whacked out concepts you find in Jack Kirby's drawings have become all washed out and muted and ugly. Not a good trailer.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Yeah. They struck gold with RDJ's iconic performance and milked it for all it was worth. It was a true "star" performance - which is the real secret to box office success. Not IPs, stars. I don't see any stars or star-making performances happening in Eternals.

I love how all the wild psychedelic colors and whacked out concepts you find in Jack Kirby's drawings have become all washed out and muted and ugly. Not a good trailer.
    Well, I think the pitch-perfect casting of Downey was probably as big a factor as anything else in the success of the original Iron Man and the way it became the original cinematic foundation for the MCU, but I think the star power became less important as the series as a whole continued (and Hollywood in general became even more property-oriented), and by the time we got to the first Avengers, I think the novelty of seeing all these different, recognizable superheroes all combined in one film became a bigger deal than the presence of RDJ or any other single actor, and the strength of the brand name and the overall interconnected nature of the franchise became a bigger factor than the stars (even though they do have some of the biggest actors in Hollywood in these movies, obviously).

That being said though, while I had hoped that the overwhelmingly colorful look of Guardians 2 & Thor: Ragnar had showed that the MCU was making a course-correction in that area, I do agree with you that the muted color palette of Eternals (and a number of their other recent releases) does look pretty ugly based off of the first trailer, and sadly proves that the series still tends to have this problem so far into its existence: