Page 215 of 262 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,375 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

- - - - -

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Creative freedom can blow me. There aren't any Chinese-American directors working at this level so it's a big deal.
    I think that's clear enough that there's no reason to discuss any further. But let me ask another question that's been bugging me - why would a Chinese American director like, I dunno, James Wan (who just opened huge with another superhero movie unrelated to his race) be any better suited for this project than a plain American one?

Oh and that's great news about Gunn!

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    why would a Chinese American director like, I dunno, James Wan
    Wan is Australian.

I thought about daring the board to cite just 3 Asian-American directors, without looking it up, because I couldn't for the life of me think of a single one. The prominent figures that popped into my head -- James Wan, Ang Lee, Wayne Wang, Chloe Zhao -- aren't Americans.

That's kinda fucked up.

So this is partially about giving people a shot who've never had one before. I think that alone is pretty f'ing cool.

It's also about putting somebody in charge who might have a little bit more of a clue.

The traditional, never-ending parade of white dude directors are happy in their ignorance and they tend to do things like ... cast Madonna as Eva Perón.

I look forward to a time when the director pool is varied enough that people don’t just think of Asian-American directors for Asian “themed” films, female directors for “woman” movies, etc.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I look forward to a time when the director pool is varied enough that people don’t just think of Asian-American directors for Asian “themed” films, female directors for “woman” movies, etc.
    Good luck. The SJWs are pigeonholing them into those movies even moreso in my opinion.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Unironic use of SJW as firmly pejorative, jesus.
    Last edited by Peng; 03-16-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

The traditional, never-ending parade of white dude directors are happy in their ignorance and they tend to do things like ... cast Madonna as Eva Perón.
    Hahah that movie is filled with weird ass casting choices. But that's not because Alan Parker is white - it's a mediocre musical with little interest in portraying History. I have no idea why a hypothetical Chinese-American guy would have "a little bit more of a clue" about a kung fu movie than Tarantino or the Wachowskis.

Quote Quoting Ezee E
    Good luck. The SJWs are pigeonholing them into those movies even moreso in my opinion.
    Exactly. The idea that because someone's grandparents were Chinese he has more kung fu credit than a nerd of any other race is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 03-16-2019 at 05:56 PM.

I would have bet money on Wayne Wang being born in the US, by the way.

- - - - -
    Hahah that movie is filled with weird ass casting choices. But that's not because Alan Parker is white - it's a mediocre musical with little interest in portraying History.
    It's not a complaint about history. The movie takes place in Argentina and there are like 3 Latinos in the entire cast. They hired a Welsh actor to play Juan Perón, ffs!

(And yeah, I thought Wayne Wang was American too. Even if he were, that's like, what? One fucking guy in the last 35 years?)

It's not a complaint about history. The movie takes place in Argentina and there are like 3 Latinos in the entire cast. They hired a Welsh actor to play Juan Perón, ffs!
    Should I be upset by that? Why? They're actors. Evita is a bad movie in my opinion but not because of the lack of "Latino" actors. Also, when a US person says "Latino" I assume they're thinking of Mexicans. A large percentage of Argentina's population (and certainly the real life Eva and Juan Domingo Perón) is whiter than what I assume you have in mind.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of clueless misrepresentations of Argentina in Hollywood. There was a particularly offensive Antonio Banderas vehicle called Imagining Argentina, just to name the most egregious example. But the ignorance in that film came from the ill-conceived story, not the fact that Banderas is Spanish.

- - - - -
    Should I be upset by that?
    I wouldn't expect you to be --- but I did find it interesting that your virtually rolled your eyes when I mentioned the film.

I offered Price as an example because he's another "Evita" cast member who doesn't speak the language and isn't even from the same continent. It wasn't about skin tone.

The other side of the issue is that there's a very, very long history of Hollywood whitewashing roles and putting on brown/blackface as a form of "progressive" representation. (eg: Heston in "Touch of Evil," Newman in "Hombre").

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of clueless misrepresentations of Argentina in Hollywood.
    Now imagine your own country's film industry is so clueless. Would you still be as lackadaisical about it?
    Last edited by Irish; 03-16-2019 at 09:24 PM.

I doubt they hired Destin Daniel Cretton because they think his Asian background will be good for a martial arts movie. Destin will probably never even touch the action sequences in this film as everything is already pre-vized by 2nd unit and choreographers. He's there to handle the character beats and the flow from one set piece to the other.

He got this because he's an accomplished director who will play nice in Fiege's playground.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

When was the last time Marvel hired a big "genre director" who has action experience on their resume? Shane Black is probably the biggest?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Justin Lin?

EDIT: This was for Irish, not any of the open questions since.
    Last edited by Wryan; 03-17-2019 at 03:54 AM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Hot take unrelated to race-bending...

In most of its shots, Stormbringer looks like a molded-plastic Fisher-Price toy.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Justin Lin?

EDIT: This was for Irish, not any of the open questions since.
    Yes! Good pick!!!

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This isn't a new photo, but it's the first time I've seen it. And i kinda wish there were more people in it- Big names that appear to be missing; Cate Blanchett,, Anthony Hopkins, Rene Russo, Richard Gere, James Spader, Glenn Close, Guy Pierce, Ben Kingsley, Idris Elba, Stellan Skarsgård, Hugo Weaving, Josh Brolin, Tilda Swinton, Tom fucking Hiddleston?

[]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I Googled Justin Lin and he was born in Taiwan.

Now imagine your own country's film industry is so clueless. Would you still be as lackadaisical about it?
    I had to look up "lackadaisical" but besides that, I didn't understand the question at all. You mean how would I feel if Argentinian cinema tackled the History of other countries and did so without proper research like Hollywood usually does?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This isn't a new photo, but it's the first time I've seen it. And i kinda wish there were more people in it- Big names that appear to be missing; Cate Blanchett,, Anthony Hopkins, Rene Russo, Richard Gere, James Spader, Glenn Close, Guy Pierce, Ben Kingsley, Idris Elba, Stellan Skarsgård, Hugo Weaving, Josh Brolin, Tilda Swinton, Tom fucking Hiddleston?

[]
    Would be impossible to gather everyone together. Surprised they were even able to get the big group that's there.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Would be impossible to gather everyone together. Surprised they were even able to get the big group that's there.
    I mean, photoshop them in? This is Marvel we're talkin about.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I mean, photoshop them in? This is Marvel we're talkin about.
    You snooze, you lose I say.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Phase 4 with X-Men Announcement incoming...Heh.

I offered Price as an example because he's another "Evita" cast member who doesn't speak the language and isn't even from the same continent. It wasn't about skin tone.
    Oh by the way, this changes nothing, I know, but Pryce does speak fairly fluent Spanish in Don Quixote. It surprised me.

Now that the band's back together, Oscar Isaac for Doctor Doom?

--Homer