Page 210 of 262 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220260 ... LastLast
Results 5,226 to 5,250 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I have avoided reading fan theories but my personal feeling (I am probably not the first to suggest this) about Far From Home is that it's going to open up with the scene of Spidey on the bus from IW. his spidey sense goes off just like it does in IW, but then he looks up and there's no spaceship or alien threat (the snap erased/timeline reset). a spidey deja-vu or sorts, a memory from the time-slip. "false alarm I guess..." the bus, of course, taking him on the field trip to Europe.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    End Game will likely be 3 hours long. And i read a fan theory today that is the most possible scenario to resolve the "snap" and now I'm mad because it's so stupidly obvious and safe that I can't believe I didn't think of it.
    Spoiler it?

End Game will likely be 3 hours long. And i read a fan theory today that is the most possible scenario to resolve the "snap" and now I'm mad because it's so stupidly obvious and safe that I can't believe I didn't think of it.
    So?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    So?
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Spoiler it?

[
    ]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I like the idea but I wonder if it's not too confusing for general audiences.

[
    ]
    [
    ]
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    [
    ]
    [
    ]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Marvel’s The Leftovers.

Did you forget you already made that joke on the last page?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I don't want to spoil what I do know, but as much as that theory has a very sound internal logic to it, it is not what it is.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

[
    ]

No sir, I don't like.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I dont like any of that one bit. But who knows. See how it plays out.

I know I know, bad corporate, bad Disney... but I kinda want this.

[]

Social MEdia reactions are in. Apparently Ben Mendelsohn Steals The Show

Producer
    Waiting for non-fanboy critics to weigh in, but the reactions from those fanboy ones seem a bit muted.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    The fanboy crix are always bright and cheery over whatever the studio feeds them. That's sorta their job, after all.

I heard this was getting hammered on Rotten Tomatoes by the usual trogs (it has over 8,000 user ratings and the movie isn't out yet).

So I think this'll be the usual contentious bullshit on social media but it will still make tons of money, and everybody in the entertainment press will hail it as another major achievement and milestone.

The big one with this one is all the butthurt white boys who think this is some attack on them personally.

I can’t even count the number of “first Black Panther...now this?!?” posts and comments I’ve seen all over the web.

And then the idiocy reached a new height when the aforementioned dude-bros took Larson’s comments about inclusivity in the press for the film as being “I HATE ALL WHITE MEN AND THEY SHOULD ALL DIE!!!!!”

It’s truly pathetic how white men can’t handle something that isn’t catered specifically for them.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    And then the idiocy reached a new height when the aforementioned dude-bros took Larson’s comments about inclusivity in the press for the film as being “I HATE ALL WHITE MEN AND THEY SHOULD ALL DIE!!!!!”
    Those actually didn't sit well with me, but in a different way, and for a different reason.

I consider myself to be a good film critic (but there's always room for improvement). I approach every review without bias and with excitement because I'm finally doing what I love to do professionally. Although I do wish I was getting paid, that's a sentiment every critic shares these days. Nevertheless, I got screeners, joined a critics guild and voted in its awards ceremony, all for the first time this year, and that fills me with so much pride and happiness. It's one of the few things that makes me feel good in this era.

I also believe there should be more inclusivity in film criticism and film journalism, because more cultures leads to more perspectives, more people to talk to about cinema, and more movies to watch, which in turn, gives me and other aspiring filmmakers more films to draw inspiration from.

So, for Brie Larson to say that she doesn't want to hear what I have to say about movies with a female protagonist or a lead of color is insulting and reductive, because it tells me that even though I'm an ally (I hate President Cheeto as much as everyone with a reasonable IQ), I'm still automatically the enemy regardless of my political affiliation, or regardless of how fair I am as a film critic just because I'm a straight white male.

And to say films with female/POC protagonists and/or directors aren't made for me goes against what I stand for: just because a film has a certain demographic doesn't mean other audiences can't get something out of it. I'm for equal rights and representation like any sane person, but telling subgroups of critics they can only review movies within their own culture is detrimental to the cause we all want to see come to fruition. It's all so discouraging, that I end up feeling like no one wants me to do what I love to do, and it's paralyzing in how depressed it makes me feel.
    Last edited by Ivan Drago; 02-20-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

That’s really not what she said, though.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    That’s really not what she said, though.
    If there's a news source that covers the story about what she said fairly, optimistically and balanced in all aspects, please link me to it.

I'm going to feel like a fool if I fell for an article with an outrage-attracting headline.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I consider myself to be a good film critic (but there's always room for improvement). I approach every review without bias and with excitement because I'm finally doing what I love to do professionally. Although I do wish I was getting paid, that's a sentiment every critic shares these days. Nevertheless, I got screeners, joined a critics guild and voted in its awards ceremony, all for the first time this year, and that fills me with so much pride and happiness. It's one of the few things that makes me feel good in this era.
    Hey that's great man!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

She just wants more inclusivity in the film critic/news industry.

She’s not going out of her way to NOT allow white men to cover her / the film. What she’s going out of her way to do is to make sure others get a shot, too.

“Am I saying I hate white dudes?” Larson said. “No, I’m not … [but if] you make the movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie and review your movie.”

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Keah Brown
    When Brie Larson won an Oscar for the 2015 movie Room, I jumped for joy as if I knew her. I hadn’t even seen the film yet, but I’d just finished the moving novel by Emma Donoghue that it was based on (about a mother and her five-year-old son held captive in a room), and felt certain she had done the role of Ma justice.
    ^ The first line of the interview where Larson hand-picked the interviewer, btw.

That isn't journalism. It's public relations. (What do you think the chances are that Brown will give a 4-star, absolutely glowing review to "Captain Marvel"? Pretty good, I imagine.)

Larson's comments on film criticism are self-serving. She comes off as duplicitous because she can't -- or won't -- acknowledge the contradictions in what she's doing. She's on a fool's errand because playing managing editor as a movie star does nothing to change anything at an institutional level. The EICs, publishers, and owners are still all white dudes.

It's also reductive and insulting to everybody when you take a black writer, for example, and put repeatedly put them on "black" beats (eg: Wesley Morris at The New York Times.)

Imagine telling Pauline Kael that she had some special insight into "Sisters" because she was a woman (she would have had a fit). Or telling Roger Ebert that nobody wants to hear from him on "The Color Purple" or "Do the Right Thing" because he was a white dude from southern Indiana.

Saying that she doesn't want to hear white men criticize "A Wrinkle in Time" because it "wasn't made for them" is obvious nonsense. It's like when filmmakers trot out the tired line about how they make movies for "the fans" and not "the critics." Well, sorry, but if you make a $200 million movie and release it into 4,000 theaters, you're making movies for everybody.

Actually, scratch that bit about money and range. Isn't art supposed to be for everybody? Saying that it isn't reduces our collective humanity. On some level, Larson champions the idea that white dudes lack the curiosity and empathy to understand anyone else's story. That's the part that I, personally, find insulting.

The larger problem with isn't that the critical crowd is white and male. It's that they're dumb and uneducated. It's that the entertainment press is so craven that they won't even weakly push back on Larson's half-formed ideas. Because she doesn't want critics of any shade; she wants sycophants.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    ^ The first line of the interview where Larson hand-picked the interviewer, btw.

That isn't journalism. It's public relations. (What do you think the chances are that Brown will give a 4-star, absolutely glowing review to "Captain Marvel"? Pretty good, I imagine.)

Larson's comments on film criticism are self-serving. She comes off as duplicitous because she can't -- or won't -- acknowledge the contradictions in what she's doing. She's on a fool's errand because playing managing editor as a movie star does nothing to change anything at an institutional level. The EICs, publishers, and owners are still all white dudes.

It's also reductive and insulting to everybody when you take a black writer, for example, and put repeatedly put them on "black" beats (eg: Wesley Morris at The New York Times.)

Imagine telling Pauline Kael that she had some special insight into "Sisters" because she was a woman (she would have had a fit). Or telling Roger Ebert that nobody wants to hear from him on "The Color Purple" or "Do the Right Thing" because he was a white dude from southern Indiana.

Saying that she doesn't want to hear white men criticize "A Wrinkle in Time" because it "wasn't made for them" is obvious nonsense. It's like when filmmakers trot out the tired line about how they make movies for "the fans" and not "the critics." Well, sorry, but if you make a $200 million movie and release it into 4,000 theaters, you're making movies for everybody.

Actually, scratch that bit about money and range. Isn't art supposed to be for everybody? Saying that it isn't reduces our collective humanity. On some level, Larson champions the idea that white dudes lack the curiosity and empathy to understand anyone else's story. That's the part that I, personally, find insulting.

The larger problem with isn't that the critical crowd is white and male. It's that they're dumb and uneducated. It's that the entertainment press is so craven that they won't even weakly push back on Larson's half-formed ideas. Because she doesn't want critics of any shade; she wants sycophants.
    Couldn't agree more.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I agree with everything you said, Irish. I just didn’t take Larson’s words in that way.

So many seem to think her intention was to attack white men, but I thought it was more about inclusion.

Of course it would be silly (and regressive) to always be putting people on assignments we feel they “belong” on, but I think there is some truth to her statement about how many opinions from 40 year old white men do we need on a movie about a woman of colour?

Sure I’d love to have read what Roger Ebert had to say about Dope (wonderful movie, by the way), but I’d also love to read what someone who perhaps lived in that area thought about it.