Page 153 of 262 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Oh my yes. Those colours, indeed.

It's designed like the sort of movie that would be destined to only become a cult hit or outright bomb (Flash Gordon, Logan's Run, Jupiter Ascending, sadly likely Besson's Valerian this summer), only they have the freedom of basically knowing it can't!
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

So I read the EW article that accompanied those Thor pics, and man, Ragnarok sounds like several movies in one (there's an exposing Loki as fake Odin part, teaming up with Dr. Strange to find the real Odin part, there's a Planet Hulk part, then a stopping Cate Blanchette part), but maybe it'll work, because they're fashioning it as a road movie and making Thor kind of a space-faring drifter character.

The thing that has me excited though, is Waititi saying they're inspired by Hemsworth's performance in Ghostbusters to explore his comedic skills more. Sounds like he's trying to make Thor the funniest guy in the movie, with Bruce Banner playing the straight man.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Yeh Ragnarok has risen to my most anticipated MCU movie his year as it is also the precursor to Infinity War.

I also read an article that suggests Marvel may be done with stand alone character driven movies. Even with Thor and Loki in Thor 2 was not only boring, but didn't do nearly as well as Winter Solider. I think Marvel is thinking to get Civil War money out of these sequels. Even Black Panther & Captain Marvel movies are suggested to include more characters.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

... which is consistent with the writing (and also, to be honest, marketing) tricks that made Marvel famous in the first place.

So Spider-Man is potentially the last solo character movie?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    So Spider-Man is potentially the last solo character movie?
    Even then, not really, what with Iron Man being involved and all.

Even then, not really, what with Iron Man being involved and all.
    Exactly. With RDJ in it, it's hardly a standalone at this point.

Everyone pray with me that Spider-man Homecoming 2 involves the symbiote.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Oh shit.

Samuel L Jackson was being interviewed about Kong and revealed something pretty big about the next Avenger movies. Not sure if he was just filler busting but it's a fan theory that has been lingering a while. I'll only post it if folks are interested but... i wish I didn't hear it.

Just spoiler it.

You sure? heh

Yeah I don't care.

[
    ]

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    ???

It's the sort of thing that could just as easily be him joking as having some semblance of truth, but I don't see it as a big deal either way.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Ive been hoping it is.

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    ???

It's the sort of thing that could just as easily be him joking as having some semblance of truth, but I don't see it as a big deal either way.
    What I've read on other sites, his actual phrasing was along the line of[
    ] Either way, doesn't seem like a big deal to me either.

So I leave MC for a day and Aquaman gets delayed and Sony announces a Venom spin-off? Scheduled for 2018 directed by Alex Kurtzman. That doesn't seem like a lot of time.

Must mean Venom is in this summer one.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Kurtzman was just a rumor.

Venom has no director yet, but it does have a script; Scott Rosenberg and Jeff Pinkner, the latter of whom worked on 2014’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2, recently turned in a draft. (Dante Harper wrote a previous draft.)
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...se-date-986880

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Must mean Venom is in this summer one.
    Marvel isn't producing it. It's just Sony and Avi Arad. So it looks like they're really going with the original concept of the spin-off by making it a completely standalone franchise, just about someone finding the symbiote. It won't be connected to Tom Holland's Spidey at all.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It's amazing how much Hollywood petty pissing contests Marvel characters have inspired. It used to be just a territorial dispute between Marvel Studios vs Sony and Fox. Now there's an internal pissing contest within Marvel itself, and this time an internal pissing contest has started within Sony. The one company that has its shit together the most now is Fox, lol.
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Now there's an internal pissing contest within Marvel itself, and this time an internal pissing contest has started within Sony.
    I don't get "within Marvel itself" because it seems the competition is between Marvel and Sony, two separate studios? Or you mean it now becomes kind of internal because of the lending of Spiderman characters between them.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It's amazing how much Hollywood petty pissing contests Marvel characters have inspired. It used to be just a territorial dispute between Marvel Studios vs Sony and Fox. Now there's an internal pissing contest within Marvel itself, and this time an internal pissing contest has started within Sony. The one company that has its shit together the most now is Fox, lol.
    I dont understand this post. Fox has its shit together? Because they came out with Deadpool and Logan? (two standalone movies)

And what is Marvels internal beef?

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I don't get "within Marvel itself" because it seems the competition is between Marvel and Sony, two separate studios? Or you mean it now becomes kind of internal because of the lending of Spiderman characters between them.
    Marvel Studios separated from its parent company Marvel a couple of years ago and now makes decisions all on its own, reporting directly to Disney, because of a pissing contest between their execs (reportedly it was all over the shoe-horning of Inhumans, which Kevin Feige was very against). That's what I was referring to. It's been going on for a while, and caused the connectedness between their movies and TV shows to be begrudging at best (the movies will continue to pretend that SHIELD hasn't come back in the MCU, and ignore the fact that Coulson is alive for that matter).

The Spider-man situation has created another one in Sony. Avi Arad used to be in charge of the Spider-man franchise and was setting up a series of projects all centered on the Andrew Garfield version (there was gonna be a Sinister Six movie, a Venom spin-off, an Aunt May origin movie, etc). Sony's deal to co-produce a new Spidey with Marvel as part of the MCU torpedoed all that and Sony cancelled all those movies. Arad got nothing for Civil War or Homecoming, not even his name in the credits. So this is where the Venom movie came from. It's him trying to restart the superhero projects he still has control over outside of the MCU. I doubt there will even be any mention of Spider-man in it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Ahhh Goctha. I see that as a positive thing for Marvel as having complete control.

I hate that Venom will exist outside of the MCU. Was really hoping to see appear in a Homecoming sequel.

An Aunt May origin story?

Is it time to shut down movies for good? Like the whole industry? I think all possible storylines have been exhausted.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

If we had a time machine and go back and make so Marvel never lost the rights to their characters (and the company stays afloat obviously), I wonder how different the MCU would be today.