Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Irishman, aka IS THIS FREAKIN' REAL?

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The latter. Netflix makes movies for their streaming service. They're not opposed to having theatrical distribution, but US movie theaters refuse to show Netflix films because they don't think there's a point taking up screen space for movies that are already up on Netflix.

However, Academy rules is that movies need to have one week of theatrical release in NY and LA in order to qualify for the Oscars, so streaming services do always try to get a short theatrical release in some independent theaters for some of their more high-profile films. The IFC Center here has shown Netflix and Hulu original documentaries for a few days the same week they're put up online.
    That's how something like Beasts of No Nation can be nominated. Do you guys realize we now live in a world where a Scorsese mob picture with De Niro, Pacino and Pesci has to go to a TV on demand production company to get made?

Yup, and this year's 13th, also a Netflix original.

This is the main difference between Netflix and Amazon. Amazon actually wants to be a traditional film company, co-financing films like Manchester by the Sea with more established distributors and letting their movies play in theaters for a couple of months before making it available on their streaming service. They're chasing prestige. Netflix doesn't really give a shit, it seems, and cares more about wowing Netflix subscribers.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Considering so much of the movie business is about making their money based off of box office returns, how do movies that release on Netflix make that up?

They don't. All Netflix cares about is subscriber growth (for now anyway).
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    That's how something like Beasts of No Nation can be nominated. Do you guys realize we now live in a world where a Scorsese mob picture with De Niro, Pacino and Pesci has to go to a TV on demand production company to get made?
    On one hand, I agree. On the other, it looks worse than it actually is. The main reason this happened is because Paramount had a terrible year and booted their CEO.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Considering so much of the movie business is about making their money based off of box office returns, how do movies that release on Netflix make that up?
    They don't. In this case, Netflix is only acting as worldwide distributor.

They're willing to overpay to get marquee names, because it will draw industry prestige and industry prestige will draw other prestige players (potentially names like "Anderson", "Nolan", and "Linklater," etc). The downside is that they can only do it as long as their investors let them do it.

The people who should be most worried are producers/distributors like Anapurna and A24, because they're going after the same market but they can't match Netflix's payout.

Producer
    Netflix really didn't have anything this big before so this might be unprecedented in how they treat it. Gonna be really fascinating to see the push-and-pull between them and theaters nearer to the release.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Netflix really didn't have anything this big before so this might be unprecedented in how they treat it.
    Rumor has it they spent ~$100 million on Baz Luhrman's The Get Down, so what's big?

- - - - -
    also, wow, that's some gooooooood timing

Martin Scorsese criticises watching films at home

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

I haven't read the article, but Mr. Scorsese apparently isn't watching films with the fucking assholes that I have been. Saw five movies in theater in 2016. Entirely the fault of the theaters not kicking out jackasses.

I almost never watch films at home these days. If I don't see it in the cinema, good chance I'll never see it.

I went to the theaters more times last year than I have since I was at university. Korean audiences and theaters are great.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I almost never watch films at home these days. If I don't see it in the cinema, good chance I'll never see it.
    I'm the exact opposite. I generally wait until streaming. Hell, I missed out on almost every major December release in theaters except Rogue One.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I haven't read the article, but Mr. Scorsese apparently isn't watching films with the fucking assholes that I have been. Saw five movies in theater in 2016. Entirely the fault of the theaters not kicking out jackasses.
    Ha, your stories are part of what keeps me waaaaaay the fuck away from movie theaters, dude.

(Anyway, yeah, Scorsese is a big "35MM 4 LIFE" guy and a huge film preservationist. He's similar to Nolan and Tarantino that way. My guess is that he made these remarks, too, at an evening event in London before the Netflix announcement hit the press in the American afternoon.)

People who have consistently terrible theater experiences because of other theatergoers mystify me. I've only ever had a handful of experiences like that. Makes me wonder if you could choose your venue better.

I agree that home viewing isn't "the best way" to watch a movie but $15-20 for a goddamn movie also isn't "the best price". It's a little tone deaf to just how expensive the theater experience has become for people who haven't seen their wages go up but have seen theater tickets increase while flat screen TV prices plummet. I suspect he was just complaining rather than chastising, but still.

If I do see movies on the big screen, I go big and see it at the El Capitan, Arclight, or TCL Chinese. Never had a bad crowd there (though I hate crowds who applaud at everything which happens at every screening I go to). Though not everyone has the privilege of these theaters.

I actually find my worst theater experiences at old 35mm repertory theaters. Seeing old movies with audiences who like to quote along or laugh out loud to make sure you know they found the scene funny are the worst.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    If I do see movies on the big screen, I go big and see it at the El Capitan, Arclight, or TCL Chinese. Never had a bad crowd there (though I hate crowds who applaud at everything which happens at every screening I go to). Though not everyone has the privilege of these theaters.

I actually find my worst theater experiences at old 35mm repertory theaters. Seeing old movies with audiences who like to quote along or laugh out loud to make sure you know they found the scene funny are the worst.
    I'm the exact opposite. The only theater I can go to anymore on a Friday night or a weekend and have a pleasant experience is the arthouse theater near me. If I want to go to a multiplex, I go super late at night during the week, otherwise I get children in R-rated movies and obnoxious movie-goers.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Same. Although my work travel gets to me to catch up on some.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Fairly sure Scorsese probably gets private screenings of everything he could want in his personal theater.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Rumor has it they spent ~$100 million on Baz Luhrman's The Get Down, so what's big?

"Have", as in "get", as in: Not big as in what they spent (they have spent plenty before) but big as in the built-in attraction and prestige of the work itself.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    They are building a huge multiplex in my town that will open later this year. This is in the burbs mind you; population 8,924: so it's kind of crazy how cool this theater is going to be. I think it's going to allow me to go more often since it's 2-3 miles away.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The Irishman (Scorsese)

http://www.empireonline.com/people/m...sese-irishman/

This thing is a like a reunion. De Niro, Pacino, and now Pesci and Keitel have signed up.

Here is the first pic!!

[+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Producer
    Get that Netflix money, Marty!

Netflix bought the film for $105 million and agreed to a $125 million budget. But costs have soared to $175 million, said one insider, “and they haven’t done the music yet.”

The shoot, with locations all over the tri-state area, started in August and wrapped earlier this month. “Scorsese has shot [for more than] 106 days — the most he has ever spent shooting a movie,” said another source.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Playing with house money.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Bring it on.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast