Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange habits

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Yeah, I know. I'm glad you didn't take it personally.
    Oh, no, I get it. I'm sure I'd do the same thing given the opportunity.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    - When paying a restaurant check by credit card, I always put down a tip that will make the overall charge an full, rounded integer on my bill.
    I also do this.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I tend not to post things like this publicly on an open forum. But I'll still continue to read all your posts. Keep going.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I rock, incessantly. Most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I have little freaks that come and go over years or decades, but they generally fade and I loosen up. But the biggest and most notable is:

I talk to myself. Incessantly. At any time when I am not actively surrounded by people, I am talking to myself. It's a constant flow of narration and dialogue of my daydreams, which are complex mega-epics that I have developed over years. It's intensely private, so I'm always amazed to find out that yes, other people can hear me when I talk aloud.

Worse yet, I had roommates who used to do it on purpose. Just this weekend a friend told me that she would stand outside the bathroom when I showered and listen to me talk. I said, "And you could actually follow what I said?" Because to me, it's just like unorganized thoughts. And she said, "Yes, it was just like a story."
    ...and the milk's in me.

...too strange? We can pretend it never happened.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    ...too strange? We can pretend it never happened.
    I think it's awesome.
    Follow me on Twitter

I often go through verbal confrontations in my head (and, yes, talking to myself) over and over and over. Sometimes dozens of times.

Then, when it comes time to actually say something...I don't.

Unfortunately, I let people walk all over me a lot.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

My body's all like "you need to eat fruit!" and I'm all like "here have some gummi bears!"

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    My body's all like "you need to eat fruit!" and I'm all like "here have some gummi bears!"
    :lol:

I've been feeling this. And what's particularly puzzling is that I love fruit. But then I see a bag of Doritos and give that fresh pear a kick to the curb.

With me, the fact that gummi bears are (allegedly) fruit flavored seems to be my stumbling block.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    With me, the fact that gummi bears are (allegedly) fruit flavored seems to be my stumbling block.

Like Homer Simpson's logic that donuts are a serving of fruit, because "purple is a fruit"?

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    When I receive change and then put dollar bills in my wallet -- ones, fives, tens, twenties, doesn't matter -- none of the corners can be folded. I smooth them all out before they go in.
    I'm the same way, plus ones go in the front slot, 5's and up, in order, in the back slot.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I carry nail clippers with me at all times. Everyone thinks it's weird until they ask me to borrow them at some point. After that, they stop making fun, and some even convert to doing the same.
    Nothing wrong with that, but I haaaate when people cut their nails in public. If you go into a restroom, it's ok, but ugh, that's a sound that drives me nuts.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I often go through verbal confrontations in my head (and, yes, talking to myself) over and over and over. Sometimes dozens of times.

Then, when it comes time to actually say something...I don't.

Unfortunately, I let people walk all over me a lot.
    I do this all the time.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Nothing wrong with that, but I haaaate when people cut their nails in public. If you go into a restroom, it's ok, but ugh, that's a sound that drives me nuts.
    No, I would never do that. You'd be surprised how handy they can be though. I've used them as makeshift scissors to cut something small, like a loose thread from a shirt or something, the nail file can double as a cutting knife for opening packages and stuff at work, etc. I love having them on me. I'm always finding new uses.

I love little nail clippers and hoard them and try to carry them everywhere, but I lose them. Also, eyebrow tweezers, which are similarly multifunctional. Can't keep my fingers on them-- they disappear. It's very frustrating.

Also, since we're discussing habits, I clip my fingernails as close to the quick as possible without actually drawing blood. I clip it close enough that it hurts afterward. I cannot stand to have any sort of long nail, I think because I'm paranoid about dirt getting under my fingernails. I feel like nails are, inherently, dirty.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Based on your random posts, Mara, I'd say you're one giant bundle of strange habits; idiosyncratic to the core. Amiright?

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Based on your random posts, Mara, I'd say you're one giant bundle of strange habits; idiosyncratic to the core. Amiright?
    I just cross my fingers and hope people find it all endearing.

:lol:
    ...and the milk's in me.

That said, I think I come off as a lot less quirky in real life. I let off bonkers steam in the random thoughts thread, and then I go quietly about my life.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Heh...

I'm hella' idiosyncratic, but I do a good job of hiding it for the most part.

For example...

I'll shop for days, weeks for the perfect pair of socks, and then when I find them I'll buy like 30 pairs, and wear nothing but those socks until they are either lost of fall apart.

I won't eat anything that has even touched mayonnaise.

My strategy for socks is that I buy a shit ton of the exact same ones so I don't have to worry about matching pairs.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    My strategy for socks is that I buy a shit ton of the exact same ones so I don't have to worry about matching pairs.
    I do that, too. Or I buy colors that are close enough so I don't have to worry about it.

Yeah, no, that doesn't cut it for me. I don't go back and buy more. I buy enough pairs in one go. If I start losing them and I can't get the exact same brand/color, then I'll just throw everything out and start over.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

You guys wear socks? Strange habits indeed.
    Twitter

Next Projection Top 10s (update - Top 10 Action Sequences 1/29)
    Yearly Top 11s

Now that its starting to get cooler outside, I can wear my uber comfy wool, wool/blend socks.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast