Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange habits

Strange habits

Anyone here want to share strange habits, nervous ticks or general quirks in their behaviour?

Here's one of mine:

When I am reading, I cannot stop in the middle of a page, nor can I stop in the middle of a sentence (even if it's the beginning of a new page, but happens to be a broken sentence).

I need some kind of chapter break. Even a sub-chapter like what Stephen King uses is fine, but I need some kind of formal break to stop reading.

This is why I find it very difficult to muster up enthusiasm to read a book with absolutely no chapter breaks of any kind. Hence why Jess Walter's "The Zero" has been on my shelf, unread, for about 4 years.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I complain about how I don't have enough free time to watch movies and play video games and read books, and then I squander hours of free time looking at message boards and tumblrs and shit. :/

My girlfriend quite enjoys pointing mine out. I guess I'll just start off the top of my head, as I'll probably be adding to this regularly.

- I don't use straws. I fucking hate straws.
    - When reading a book, I highlight passages I like so I can go back to them easily. A few times I've typed my highlighted parts in a file. It makes an interesting read.
    - I must sleep between her and the door, whichever side of the bed that may be.
    - I hate standing out. I wear plain clothes, solid colors. I like to think I look so plain I could vanish in any crowd. Ninja.

If there's a reflection of me, I always glance at it. Narcissism.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I can put mayonnaise on just about anything.

And I'm talking real mayonnaise, none of that Miracle Whip stuff.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    - I don't use straws. I fucking hate straws.}
    So far I only agree with this.

- I like wearing completely in black. Not all of my clothes are black, but all of my jackets and like 50% of my t-shirts are.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    If there's a reflection of me, I always glance at it. Narcissism.
    I do this compulsively.
    Follow me on Twitter

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I need things to be... symmetrical? I think that's the word. For instance, when I'm loading the dishwasher, I have to have an equal number of silverware in each slot of the silverware holder. I'll load the silverware one at a time, front to back, so that it's even. Another example: my wife and I have a toothbrush holder with four open slots for two toothbrushes. My toothbrush has to be across from my wife's toothbrush, never next to it. So, if the slots look like a diamond, the toothbrushes will either be in the top and bottom slots, or the left and right. Never top and left or right, or bottom and left or right.

I have no rational explanation for this.

I do the same thing with loading the dishwasher, KF.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I do the same thing with loading the dishwasher, KF.
    Nice. Good to know I'm not the only one. When my wife loads the dishwasher, it's complete chaos.

I write in small-caps.

Rarely do I ever write cursive anymore. And I never write in proper printing.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I need things to be... symmetrical? I think that's the word. For instance, when I'm loading the dishwasher, I have to have an equal number of silverware in each slot of the silverware holder. I'll load the silverware one at a time, front to back, so that it's even. Another example: my wife and I have a toothbrush holder with four open slots for two toothbrushes. My toothbrush has to be across from my wife's toothbrush, never next to it. So, if the slots look like a diamond, the toothbrushes will either be in the top and bottom slots, or the left and right. Never top and left or right or bottom and left or right.

I have no rational explanation for this.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

In my experience, everyone has OCD with certain actions and activities.

I need things to be symetrical in a different way. If I have dvds setting by my tv to be watched, they need to sitting squarely with the edge of counter. :|

When I receive change and then put dollar bills in my wallet -- ones, fives, tens, twenties, doesn't matter -- none of the corners can be folded. I smooth them all out before they go in.

I have a small collection of rocks that I really like. I carry one with me at all times (at work, visiting friends or relatives, going out to eat) and I totally freak out if I misplace it. Even if I travel cross-country or overseas, I take one with me.

I feel like Linus and that stupid blanket.

Yeah, I think it is a little touch of OCD, only it doesn't really bother me if other people, namely my wife, doesn't adhere to these rules, so it doesn't interfere with my life at all. In that way, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't qualify as OCD.

I also hate it when a light switch is backward. Up is on, down is off.

I carry nail clippers with me at all times. Everyone thinks it's weird until they ask me to borrow them at some point. After that, they stop making fun, and some even convert to doing the same.

I have an intense hatred of ketchup. Can't stand the sight of it, the smell of it, and especially the taste of it.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    When I go up or down a flight of stairs, the first step is always taken with my right foot. I mentally count my steps when I'm walking up and down the stairs when I'm at home, don't bother with it outside though.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

I have a strange habit of touching my fingers to my thumbs and doing other various body movements symmetrically, such as steps or toe curls -- things like that. I think it's a sort of nervous habit. I also never drink after someone and almost always check out silverware before using it.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

- - - - -
    Great thread. You all are a bunch of freaks.

Mine:

- When I receive change back from a cashier, all of the bills have to facing portrait up and in the same direction. Then folded in ascending denomination (ones on the outside, twenties ultimately in the center). This is a bit of a hassle because it turns out most cashiers are slobs and stick bills in the register any which way. So when they give me change I have to spend anywhere from 5-10 seconds rearranging them each time before they can go in my pocket.

- In a convenience or grocery store, there are rows of chips, gallons of milk, soda, whatever. I always take the second item in any given row. This is on the assumption that the one immediately on the outside has been manhandled by an untold number of customers and put back. I realize this makes no sense whatsoever but I still do it anyway.

- When paying a restaurant check by credit card, I always put down a tip that will make the overall charge an full, rounded integer on my bill.

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    I also never drink after someone and almost always check out silverware before using it.
    I have to say this because it's true, I love irritating and even shocking people who have this kind of germ-related problems.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I have to say this because it's true, I love irritating and even shocking people who have this kind of germ-related problems.
    :P

I understand it's not a particularly rational obsessive behavior, but it's become too habitual.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    :P

I understand it's not a particularly rational obsessive behavior, but it's become too habitual.
    Yeah, I know. I'm glad you didn't take it personally.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast