Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the new IMDb?

- - - - -

What do you think of the new IMDb?

They're messing around with a new layout:

http://labs.imdb.com/title/tt1320253/

I love it, although I think some of the first-run cast photos are too large.

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Awful. They put all the useful information (all the information people go to IMDb to see) below pictures of the movies' big-name stars.

Gah... Hopefully they'll put an option for "classic view".

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    The layout in that link is dreadful. Luckily the classic format is still showing up for me when I go to the site.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Luckily the classic format is still showing up for me when I go to the site.
    Me too. Perhaps there is something in our cache data or cookies that keeps the classic format.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if the cast list is above top billed cast. Other than that, it looks better.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

The thing that bothers me the most about the layout is moving all of the links to the bottom of the page. Links are supposed to be a convenient way to quickly get to what you're looking for. Sticking them at the bottom of the page takes that convenience away. It just doesn't make sense. If they had left them on the side of the page, I wouldn't mind the format as much.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    What the hell am I looking at? I now have no idea how to find the things I actually look for (release dates, filming dates and locations, budgets, technical specs, etc.) on each page.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    IMDB is going to be replaced with a superior site that provides the exact same purpose sooner rather than later.

The thing that bothers me the most about the layout is moving all of the links to the bottom of the page. Links are supposed to be a convenient way to quickly get to what you're looking for. Sticking them at the bottom of the page takes that convenience away. It just doesn't make sense. If they had left them on the side of the page, I wouldn't mind the format as much.
    I know someone who sells ad space for IMDb. He told me this fairly recently: the average time a person spends looking at an IMDb page per visit is markedly less than that of an average website, which makes it pretty unattractive to advertisers. I'm guessing the new layout isn't about end-user convenience, so much as it is about end-user inconvenience. Logic being that the longer you're on the site looking for what you actually need, the longer you will be exposed to their advertising.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I know someone who sells ad space for IMDb. He told me this fairly recently: the average time a person spends looking at an IMDb page per visit is markedly less than that of an average website, which makes it pretty unattractive to advertisers. I'm guessing the new layout isn't about end-user convenience, so much as it is about end-user inconvenience. Logic being that the longer you're on the site looking for what you actually need, the longer you will be exposed to their advertising.
    Agreed. You can tell the new layout is geared towards sales. Right next to the film's title and basic stats are "Buy tickets" and "Buy this on Amazon" links.

I don't have a huge problem with that, though. The only way for them to make money is via ads or by licensing their data.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    As long as the search box is in the same spot I don't really have an opinion.

Edit: oh shit! I thought I was looking at the homepage. Yeh that sucks ass....
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The Search Box is all that matters to me as well.

The IMDB replacement already exists anyway:

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    It's a free website that provides a service which I consider unmeasurable so I'm not going to complain.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting eternity (view post)
    IMDB is going to be replaced with a superior site that provides the exact same purpose sooner rather than later.
    God willing. Of course the idiots that populate IMDB.com's message boards will then travel over to that site's message boards.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I kinda like this change. Before, the links were all in a straight, vertical line, and I never got used to it, no matter how often I used it. I always had a hard time finding the particular link I wanted (filming locations, box office/business, release dates, etc.). Now that they're in a block instead of a line, I find it much easier to find a particular link.

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    I kinda like this change. Before, the links were all in a straight, vertical line, and I never got used to it, no matter how often I used it. I always had a hard time finding the particular link I wanted (filming locations, box office/business, release dates, etc.). Now that they're in a block instead of a line, I find it much easier to find a particular link.
    I wouldn't have minded a change in pattern/style, but the current location is what I don't care for.

They just launched their own FREE streaming movie section. Always wanted to watch the Illusionist.

https://www.imdb.com/freedive/?pf_rd...dv_c2_mock_i_1

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Nice!

- - - - -
    One caveat: It's ad supported, and since this is Amazon that also means tracking.

Just watched the Illusionist. Yes there were commercials, but only 3 breaks and they had markers in the timeline when it would happen. I really appreciate that.

Interesting film. I think I've only seen it twice now.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    One caveat: It's ad supported, and since this is Amazon that also means tracking.
    Certainly beats watching on cable... which I'm sometimes suckered into doing.

- - - - -
    In a pinch, sure. YouTube Movies did something similar a few months ago. They've about ~100 movies that are free to watch.

Holy crap 2010? Boy does time fly...
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast