Thread: Anyone for Aeon Flux?

- - - - -

Anyone for Aeon Flux?

Just watched this on Netflix Instant and was curious what people thought of it.

Pros: Fantastic production values, costumes, set design. Some interesting visuals.

Cons: You know you're in trouble when a movie starts with two pages of title cards to tell you what the hell is going on. The story starts as a cut-rate Star Trek: TNG episode and ends up as a nonsensical mess. (I guess on that way it didn't differ all too much from the original MTV cartoon).

On the other hand ... there are worse things in this life than watching Charlize Theron run around in skin tight body suits for 90 minutes.

What did you think?

I'm not opposed to the idea of title cards setting up the context for a film.

Yeah, but that kind of thing has to be done really, really well for it to work. If it isn't, then it can come off as just a fat lot of concretized, clunky exposition.

But, yeah - I like the idea, too. When it's used right, like in something like - I dunno, Branaugh's Frankenstein film, it can really add to the structure of the film, as an acknowledged, self-conscious story.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

I thought Aeon Flux was pretty terrible.

I wasn't much of a fan of the cartoon, either, unfortunately :sad:
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

No, the cartoon is great. It brings wonderful memories and I'd love to own it.

The movie is... a Hollywood adaptation of something that shouldn't have been adapted.

- - - - -
    I agree that it's pretty terrible -- but I dunno. There's something about it that is sticking with me and I keep having this urge to watch the damned thing again.

I disagree about the titles. Two pages of exposition right at the start means somebody somewhere fucked up, or that the producers have no faith in the movie, or worse, the audience. Either way plays badly.

I have a certain sentiment for the cartoon, but that has more to do with the girl I used to watch it with rather than anything contained in it.

I don't think surgically replacing your feet with hands would... work. They'd have to be really strong hands, I guess.

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    I don't think surgically replacing your feet with hands would... work. They'd have to be really strong hands, I guess.
    I file that kind of thing under "fiction".

But yes, a fair point, I guess.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I thought Aeon Flux was pretty terrible.

I wasn't much of a fan of the cartoon, either, unfortunately :sad:
    This.

It's close to unwatchable. And I was a huge fan of the anime way back when it was on MTV. In fact, I have the collection on DVD.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This.

It's close to unwatchable. And I was a huge fan of the anime way back when it was on MTV. In fact, I have the collection on DVD.
    I'm also a big fan of the original dialogue-less shorts but have no intention of seeing the film - judging from the comments of other fans.

I've found the best way to see the movie is immediately after watching the series. Its far from perfect, but its a more solid compendeum to the series than I realized.

- - - - -
    bumping this because Duke

I caught bits of this on plutotv. Stand by my statements. I'd rather have that movie than no Aeon Flux movie.

For the record, I own the anime box set.

100% of my blu-rays and DVDs are in storage now... but I wouldn't mind revisiting this in 2020.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

For the record, I own the anime box set.

100% of my blu-rays and DVDs are in storage now... but I wouldn't mind revisiting this in 2020.
    Ha, all my DVDs/Blu-Rays are in boxes in my basement. Sad.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Ha, all my DVDs/Blu-Rays are in boxes in my basement. Sad.
    As a single dude, I used to have them all displayed in a Boltz rack .

Don't know what Boltz is?

https://boltz.com/

Just rewatched the trailer. Forgot that it was the most 2000s thing I'd ever seen.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

As a single dude, I used to have them all displayed in a Boltz rack .

Don't know what Boltz is?

https://boltz.com/
    I'm def in need of a tall thin DVD shelf like this one: https://boltz.com/cd-dvd-vhs-multime...ng-mm-126.html

But I'm not paying 250 for it. Hell no. Also, someone tell me why when you hover over the image to zoom in, it's actually smaller inside the circle.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I still love physical media.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I still love physical media.
    I love it until it's time for me to pack my things and move to a new place.

I recently watched this for the first time. Can’t get over that Sophie Okonedo had hands for feet.
    Charlize was OK, overall it just needed a more extreme production and costuming to match the animation.

I love it until it's time for me to pack my things and move to a new place.
    This is why I got rid of books.

If it was possible for every DVD to remain streaming and not come and go like they are, I'd probably get rid of all of them. Thing is, I have a lot of classic movies that aren't on any streaming service, so I'll be keeping them for sure.

I kind of hate the look of having DVDs in a living room at this point, so I don't even think I'll bring them out.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

80% of my collection is in storage as well. Just no good place to display it in this house. Next house I demand a theater room and media storage room. Physical media forever. I've yet to hear a streamed movie match a blu-ray, I don't care if they say its 7.1, it sounds like 7.quiet to me.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    80% of my collection is in storage as well. Just no good place to display it in this house. Next house I demand a theater room and media storage room. Physical media forever. I've yet to hear a streamed movie match a blu-ray, I don't care if they say its 7.1, it sounds like 7.quiet to me.
    Not just sounds; but picture quality is also so much better.