Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunslingers, Cowpokes, and Outlaws: The Best of the West

Gunslingers, Cowpokes, and Outlaws: The Best of the West

I'm bored, so here's a new thread. I've decided to compile my Top 20 Westerns, and post commentary about each one. Bear in mind that if a movie you really love didn't make the list, I:

A) Haven't seen yet
    B) It wasn't good enough to make the list. So hah!
    C) Never heard of it, man.

We'll start off going backwards, and in doing so reviewing one that's highly underrated.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

20. High Plains Drifter (1973, Eastwood)

Unlike John Wayne, Clint Eastwood wasn't afraid to play a straight up villain more than once or twice. Even though he was always the protagonist and the main character, Eastwood's characters were men who didn't typical do the right thing, and were more accurate in terms of the people who populated the west in general.

With High Plains Drifter, Eastwood crafted a dark, at times rather bleak, and nasty movie that is highly unromantic and perverts the western mythology that Peckinpah, Leone, and Ford bought into and presented on screen. This is fascinating since the movie does not have a single likable character at all, giving us people who are either cowards, ruthless gunslingers, murders, or general scum of the earth.

What truly stands out for me here is the painting of the town red, with Eastwood's nameless brutal avenger accurately renaming the town "Hell." Which is a rather unsubtle statement, and a commentary on the bloody nature of the west before it was actually settled. Eastwood does not flinch from showing brutal violence on screen, or even giving us a satisfying ending: by the final shot, the only one who has achieved their goal and aim has been Eastwood himself. The town is left in shambles, and even though peace has been restored it is a shaky, unassured calm that promises nothing good for the future.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Cool. I'm reading.

Well that's one poster. So I'll continue :lol:

19. Ride the High Country (1962, Peckinpah)

This is the only Randolph Scott movie I've ever seen, and it actually makes me want to see more of his movies. He has a remarkable and notable screen presence, one that calls attention to himself but is also a tad dignified. I can't completely explain it-just watch this movie and witness him and Joel McCrea expertly play off of each other. Its wonderful, and their performances drive this grand western, which exists as a bridge between the old school Ford/Hawks westerns and the Leone/later Peckinpah/Eastwood westerns that would come to redefine the genre.

Despite the fact that it drags a tad in the middle, its that section that causes much of the tension in the rest of the film, and leads the heroes to a seemingly impossible situation. Torn between loyalty and duty to his partner and a desire to improve his standing, one of the main characters (I won't say which one) changes drastically from being "One of the good guys" to being a heavy, and then back again. Out of the few Peckinpah westerns (read: three) that I have viewed, this one probably features his most straight forward, less complex characters, however. This isn't a knock on the movie, because what transpires still makes for great drama.

When one discusses classic gunfights, the one in this movie strangely gets overlooked. Not only is it a climatic scene, but it also is tense, not flashy at all, and displays violence as being quick and merciless towards everyone. The gravity of what happens comes into focus, and the movie achieves a sad sense of grander. No wonder Scott quit after this movie wrapped; its cliche to note this, but I cannot blame him for doing so.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

18. Dances With Wolves (1990, Costner)

Yes I am a huge Kevin Costner fan, and this is one of my favorites out of all his movies. Say what you will about this not deserving to win best picture, it is indeed a well made and engaging picture, one that does not drag at all or wander despite its immense running time. Never minds its admirable take on the American Indian, it exists also as one man's journey from being lost to finding his own place, even if it is in a world different from him his. Costner's army man willingly departs from being a white man and changes cultures because he recognizes his own people are lacking in not just body, but also in spirit and soul. Plus it features one hell of a soundtrack-John Barry's work on this is quite strong, and the magnificent, soaring orchestra cords better state what the characters are thinking than words possibly could.

When it comes to westerns, the American Indian has been served up as a cannon fodder, and serve as reliable bad guys. Even though other westerns exist on this list that do just that, I acknowledge that they were created in a time and place where that was acceptable, even if they were wrong to do so. I view Costner's effort in the context of trying to do the opposite, although I don't think he necessarily romanticizes the Native Americans, either. He shows them committing both good and bad actions, although he does paint the white man as crude bastards privy to engaging in acts of senseless violence and having a severe lack of appreciation for nature and man's place in the world.

Aside from those rather obvious sentiments, this movie sports some amazing set pieces, such as the suspenseful and exhilarating buffalo hunt, an enemy tribe's attack on the Sioux camp, and the savage massacre of an entire army squad. What this movie sets forth is something different from some of the others on this list in that you have a deep character study but also an examination of an entire culture, now long gone but having left behind an unforgettable imprint upon the now settled American West.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    I'll definitely be watching also, even if I don't have anything to say.

The following films better be on your list: Dead Man, Johnny Guitar, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Rancho Notorious, Rio Bravo, The Searchers. I will not tolerate anyone having different tastes than mine.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    The gravity of what happens comes into focus, and the movie achieves a sad sense of grander. No wonder Scott quit after this movie wrapped; its cliche to note this, but I cannot blame him for doing so.
    Yes, the climactic scene here is one of the best in cinema. Too low, but repped anyway.

Edit: whoops, repped wrong film! Haha.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    The following films better be on your list: Dead Man, Johnny Guitar, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Rancho Notorious, Rio Bravo, The Searchers. I will not tolerate anyone having different tastes than mine.
    With the exception of Rancho Notorious I actually kinda agree with you. Weird.

I'm not sure if they're top 20 material, but they're all good enough where I wouldn't question their existence on such a list.

Quote Quoting MacGuffin (view post)
    This.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Yes, the climactic scene here is one of the best in cinema. Too low, but repped anyway.

Edit: whoops, repped wrong film! Haha.
    I will gladly accept further rep for the correct post :P

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I've never heard of Racho Notorious. As for the rest, well, you'll have to wait and see

Quote Quoting MacGuffin (view post)
    Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    This.
    Hey that counts for something
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance better be #1 or you're a mad man.

Quote Quoting kuehnepips (view post)
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance better be #1 or you're a mad man.
    Can I be Christine Hendricks?
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I suck at westerns... I think I've seen like... 5.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Good start. Hoping for something I haven't come across. Need to see the Peckinpah to complete his filmography.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

My personal favorites are Assassination of Jesse James, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, and Unforgiven. Most traditional westerns kinda bore me though so I don't consider the genre one of my favorites, but maybe you'll give me some good recs in this thread.

Subscribed.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Yeah! I'll throw in my own favorite and threaten you to include it too! My Darling Clementine!
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Cool. Love westerns, especially of the Italian variety.

Have you seen Sukiyaki Western Django, yet? Really cool mix of East and West.

What about Red Sun, with Toshiro Mifune and Charles Bronson?

Or The Master Gunfighter?

More cool Eastern/Westerns - Have Sword, Will Travel, and My Name is Shanghai Joe.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Love High Plains Drifter. Heck of a start to your list.

Paint Your Wagon?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Yeah, HPD is a great film.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Hope to see Winchester '73.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Hope to see Winchester '73.
    Ooof, it unfortunately misses the cut. Good western, though.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Paint Your Wagon?
    :|

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Cool. Love westerns, especially of the Italian variety.

Have you seen Sukiyaki Western Django, yet? Really cool mix of East and West.

What about Red Sun, with Toshiro Mifune and Charles Bronson?

Or The Master Gunfighter?

More cool Eastern/Westerns - Have Sword, Will Travel, and My Name is Shanghai Joe.
    I've heard of Sukiyaki and Master Gunfighter. I'll admit that foreign westerns are lacking on this list. I'll have to check those out-thanks for the recs.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yeah! I'll throw in my own favorite and threaten you to include it too! My Darling Clementine!
    Uh....sure.....*shifty*

Quote Quoting kopello (view post)
    My personal favorites are Assassination of Jesse James, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, and Unforgiven. Most traditional westerns kinda bore me though so I don't consider the genre one of my favorites, but maybe you'll give me some good recs in this thread.
    I love both traditional and non-traditional westerns. Each will be included on the list.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Good start. Hoping for something I haven't come across. Need to see the Peckinpah to complete his filmography.
    I got tired of waiting to finish his westerns, and just went full speed ahead. I can always present an updated list in the future.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I suck at westerns... I think I've seen like... 5.
    See more!
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

*disapproving look*
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast