Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Adventures of Tintin (Spielberg, 2011)

I really wanted to love this but as it stands I merely liked it okay. I'm surprised to hear all of you praising the action because frankly I thought that to be one of the weakest links. This is a recent problem for both Spielberg (clearest in Skull but evidenced in some of his weaker efforts like Lost World also) and Jackson (King Kong but a little in the later Rings films) of overcrafting their set pieces. They push them way too far over the top to the point of absurdity. It's no longer thrilling because it's just impossible and ridiculous. In Skull you had that idiotic crystal skull juggling act in the jungle which Spielberg repeated here with the scrolls. In Kong there was the dinosaur falling through the vines. The freedom of CGI has absolutely destroyed these filmmakers ability to tell the difference between what is exciting and what is stupid. When a set piece merely clicks into place like a piece of clockwork something has gone wrong in it's construction.

I don't think Tintin needed any backstory, but I could have done with a few more quiet moments between him and Haddock or Snowy or whoever. The most fun comes early in the film when Haddock and Tintin are verbally sparring, getting the keys to the alcohol, etc. Also not enough weight is given to death... oh the guy died on my doorstep and left a message in blood, no biggy.

All of that said Spielberg is still a top class visual storyteller. I simply admire his ability to move from shot to shot. There's almost always a visual cue which allows him to properly cut away. For instance when Tin Tin is looking for his magnifying glass the camera follows him around the room and then Tin Tin moves away and we cut between all the framed stories on his walls... then back to him and to Snowy with the magnifying glass, etc. There's a fluidity to the visual progression here that very few filmmakers can match.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    They push them way too far over the top to the point of absurdity. It's no longer thrilling because it's just impossible and ridiculous . . . The freedom of CGI has absolutely destroyed these filmmakers ability to tell the difference between what is exciting and what is stupid.
    I think this has become a problem for the vast majority of CGI-era filmmakers in addition to Jackson and Spielberg. I'm reminded of the train crash sequence in Super 8. I was immediately taken out of the film by the sheer ridiculousness of it all.

Spielberg's most effective use of VFX probably came nearly 20 years ago (in Jurassic Park) before the "evolution" of CGI allowed him to put anything he wanted on screen. It's funny that the one major blockbuster director who has mostly avoided the CGI trap, Chris Nolan, is the one who is most frequently criticized for his staging of action sequences. Honestly, I'll take confusing close-ups of real action over wide-shots of filled-in green screen any day of the week.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I think this has become a problem for the vast majority of CGI-era filmmakers in addition to Jackson and Spielberg. I'm reminded of the train crash sequence in Super 8. I was immediately taken out of the film by the sheer ridiculousness of it all.

Spielberg's most effective use of VFX probably came nearly 20 years ago (in Jurassic Park) before the "evolution" of CGI allowed him to put anything he wanted on screen. It's funny that the one major blockbuster director who has mostly avoided the CGI trap, Chris Nolan, is the one who is most frequently criticized for his staging of action sequences. Honestly, I'll take confusing close-ups of real action over wide-shots of filled-in green screen any day of the week.
    I haven't seen Super 8 yet but yes, it's a widespread problem. Verbinski, Raimi, even Cameron a bit in some of the Avatar set pieces and all those other action tentpole filmmakers.

Agree with the bolded, although I think Nolan does have some room for improvement in the action staging department (the winter level in Inception was poorly handled), but he has improved a lot. And I too much prefer real acton over CGI content. Although I do think a CGI set piece can be good (Spielberg himself has put together plenty of good ones in Minority Report, War of the Worlds, I'm sure he used some in Munich also) but you have to reign it in conceptually. If you throw in everything and the kitchen sink it's going to suck.

The crane battle at the end of Tin Tin for instance, just way too ridiculous to me. Personally I think the goal in this kind of animated action adventure should be to make the cartoons feel like flesh and blood, not like cartoons. Don't just scuff up your characters. Injure them (a la Die Hard, Kill Bill, or Raiders). I've been much more concerned for the well fair of characters in 2D Miyazaki films than I was for anyone in this film.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I don't understand the criticism. Tintin is an animated film. It's not trying to be grounded in realism. Of course a lot of goofy slapstick action will look implausible. If Tintin was traditionally animated, would you also complain about the action sequences? I think it's more of the staging and choreography of the action rather than the CGI itself.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I don't understand the criticism. Tintin is an animated film. It's not trying to be grounded in realism. Of course a lot of goofy slapstick action will look implausible. If Tintin was traditionally animated, would you also complain about the action sequences? I think it's more of the staging and choreography of the action rather than the CGI itself.
    This is what I am talking about, yes. And if it were traditionally animated I would still complain.

Then Seven and I started talking on a tangent about the larger issue of CGI in live action which as I said has been done very well but imo has ultimately done more harm than good because it allows filmmakers to become very self-indulgent and push things way too far over the top.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Yeah, I saw this and it was okay. Way too frenetic in its A to B to C to D plot mechanics, and the action scenes were over-crafted, but between all the noise it looked amazing and Haddock was an interesting character to tag along with, once he finally showed up. Unlike some, I wasn't put off by Tintin's inherent unchangeability - he was suitably curious and intelligent and that was enough of a gateway.

Not nearly enough T & T though.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Also not enough weight is given to death... oh the guy died on my doorstep and left a message in blood, no biggy.
    I liked that, actually. It gives the impression that Tintin is such an adventurer that this shit is normal occurrence to him.

Also, I bet that was a Moffat scene since the joke they made (Tintin asking the landlady to call the cops because of the dead body and the landlady just going "Not again!") is so Sherlock-Mrs. Hudson.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)

Does Avatar fall into that category. It's the only movie I can think of where the green screen fill isn't distracting. Compare Avatar to a movie like, Attack of the Clones and it's night and day.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Avatar is actually fairly muted in that regard. It mostly uses CG because they had to create alien creatures and flora, but the action staging themselves are fairly simplistic.

I think what Qrazy's talking about isn't strictly a CG problem. It's just the culture of CG freedom has opened up these directors' imaginations to think that any action shot they can imagine in their mind is now fair game to depict, without any regard to physical or tonal consistency (as long as it's a cool shot!). Legolas shield-boarding in The Two Towers wasn't CG, but it's part of that same mentality.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'd wager that it's partly The Matrix's fault. Those movies deliberately tried to reproduce anime-style shots/staging in live-action, and once you introduce that point of view into a culture, then it seeps into the cinematic language of all action movies. Nobody cares anymore that the Wachowskis actually wrote in an in-narrative reasoning for their cartoonish style.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I liked that, actually. It gives the impression that Tintin is such an adventurer that this shit is normal occurrence to him.

Also, I bet that was a Moffat scene since the joke they made (Tintin asking the landlady to call the cops because of the dead body and the landlady just going "Not again!") is so Sherlock-Mrs. Hudson.
    The little you gain with that throwaway joke you lose a great deal more of Tin Tin's humanity. That character (the American) was way too much of a plot device anyway.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Avatar is actually fairly muted in that regard. It mostly uses CG because they had to create alien creatures and flora, but the action staging themselves are fairly simplistic.

I think what Qrazy's talking about isn't strictly a CG problem. It's just the culture of CG freedom has opened up these directors' imaginations to think that any action shot they can imagine in their mind is now fair game to depict, without any regard to physical or tonal consistency (as long as it's a cool shot!). Legolas shield-boarding in The Two Towers wasn't CG, but it's part of that same mentality.
    Yeah or the CG one of him taking down the oliphant in Return of the King. Oof.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

The little you gain with that throwaway joke you lose a great deal more of Tin Tin's humanity.
    Isn't that fitting with what we've been discussing about Tintin being an emotionless adventure machine? Even in the comics, that dude is an asexual without any relatives who doesn't have any hobbies whatsoever and his best friend is a dog.
    Movie Theater Diary

Isn't that fitting with what we've been discussing about Tintin being an emotionless adventure machine? Even in the comics, that dude is an asexual without any relatives who doesn't have any hobbies whatsoever and his best friend is a dog.
    I think some were arguing that canon isn't, or shouldn't be, sacred and it's allright, perhaps even more satisfying, to have a cinematic Tintin who would care more about such matters. I think Grouchy was the most vocal supporter of having a Tintin who's exactly like in the books.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

That doesn't mean he's emotionless. When the lives of Haddock and Snowy are threatened he dives in after them. Although that scene was somewhat poorly handled and the full weight of the moment didn't exactly ring home.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

That's a good example. Or the Indiana Jones Crystal Skull swinging through the jungle scene. Oof that was bad.

Edit: weird that Qrazy and I both used "Oof".

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Another non-CG example: the car-helicopter thing in Live Free or Die Hard. Completely over the top, and given no thought whatsoever on whether or not it's a John McClane thing to do. They just figured, what the hell, it's an awesome idea, so let's do it. It just reminds me of this.
    Movie Theater Diary

Another non-CG example: the car-helicopter thing in Live Free or Die Hard. Completely over the top, and given no thought whatsoever on whether or not it's a John McClane thing to do. They just figured, what the hell, it's an awesome idea, so let's do it. It just reminds me of this.
    :lol:

"This mission, it just got a hell of a lot more... Impossibler."

Dude, he was out of bullets.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I guess that's why some action set pieces in asian movies, with only elaborate stunts, can still be more thrilling than anything with over-produced CGI fx. The knowledge that they are just people and they can get hurt or die doing that crazy shit, gives everything a lot more weight.

That said, the absurdity didn't bother me in both Tin Tin and King Kong, maybe because despite the realistic direction they took with Tin Tin's visuals they were still kinda cartoony and with Kong, to me 30's serials and pulp stories have a certain sillyness to them, much of that spirit is also in the Indiana Jones movies.

And i agree with the criticism to the Crane fight in Tin Tin, but i guess it's more a problem with staging and editing than with CGI abuse.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    This movie is the comic book equivalent of getting Jack Kirby to illustrate a Hardy Boys mystery.
    I would watch the fuck out of that!

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    By comparison: the characters in and around Treasure Island, Captain Blood, Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Escape from New York, and hundreds of other pulp and comic stories didn't need long backstories or complex motivations. But: every action they take tells you what kind of people they are. Every action Tintin takes reveals nothing about him. Even his reactions are soulless. He is rooted in nothing.

Because Tintin is such a blank, the movie has no stakes. If everybody in this story said, at any point, "You know what? Fuck it. Let's go get a beer," nothing would change for any of them. Their lives and their world would go on as they did before the movie started. So who cares?
    Ok, you already circumvented this criticism on a later paragraph of your review, but still... "that's just like the comics". Tintin has no personality. He's a blank for other characters to bounce against.

As a fan of the comics, I've read them all, the movie's true to the source. Great fun, but slight. Energetic, but without real stakes. I think the visuals are really amazing though and they did a lot for me, even when I re-saw the movie. Nostalgia helps too.

I re-read two comics a few weeks ago in fact and was surprised to discover that they were somewhat poor, replete with happenstance and facepalm coincidences, one silly slapstick bit after another courtesy of the dumb as fuck bad guys allowing Tintin an easy escape or an easier catchup time and again. Others have probably stood the test of time much better from what I recall.

This sort of thing you see below is somewhat common in the Tintin comics. Of course, people survive plane crashes in live action movies too, as they do in real life, but I guess the illusion of tragedy striking is more convincing in a live action film? You know, the Indiana Jones movies have similarly silly moments like Indy killing 3 nazis with one bullet in The Last Crusade or his hat magically returning to him after the tank fight, but such moments are admittedly relatively low-key, possible even. There is a similarly silly scene in Spielberg's movie where, after the plane has belly landed in the desert, Haddock's beard is trapped in the propeller and his whole body is crazily contorted around the prop, swirling around it at improbable speeds. It's somewhat funny to watch seeing Haddock go crazy, but with that you basically said "fuck anything bad happening here." Do we automatically assume and expect that a (Spielberg) movie should be more palpably engaging than something which we read when sitting on the crapper or when taking a bath? Are movies more than comics? Can they be more than comics when done right? Should they aspire to offer more because they're movies? I've a strong feeling that no comic out there will be more thrilling and engaging to me than Raiders of the Lost Ark, but that's a blanket statement. I cannot be 100% sure.

You make a good point though Irish about these being 2 different mediums and they need not be treated similarly. I guess there's a part of me that wished Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn was, well, a bit more real, a bit more gripping, less slavish to the source. A Battlefield TV show was recently announced by Paramount, based on the games, and I've already read numerous reactions of folks saying that it makes no sense. Why would they base a TV show on something maligned for its poor narratives? To me the answer seemed obvious, namely why couldn't the TV show move beyond the games and replace bombastic spectacle with an interesting plot and memorable characters? Doesn't mean skepticism doesn't have its place here, but again two different mediums. One does not have to be like the other. All it takes is effort and a willingness to do things a bit differently.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    This was fun!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112