Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When was the last time...

Yeah, I always assumed food-borne illnesses were bacterial whereas the contagious 'stomach flu' was viral.

I had food poisoning over this past New Years and it was among the worst few days of my life. I felt sick within 10 minutes of eating a Tri-Tip sandwich my friend recommended and couldn't even make the drive home without pulling to the side of the road to puke again. My New Years Day was spent curled up in bed listening to Bowl games since I couldn't even bring myself to watch tv.

When was the last time you sumo wrestled a grizzly bear in a speedo while humming "Grand Ole Flag?"
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

You drove a car that you didn't own? (including your SO's)-The summer of 2007 I had to drive my dad's truck cause I totaled my car in an accident.

You drank Kool-Aid? Don't really recall. Probably a few months ago

You saw a movie at the theaters alone? The last one was Where The Wild Things Are. No one wanted to or could go with me to see it.

You (and/or your party) were the only ones in an empty theater? Death At A Funeral. And that was a good thing, cause my friend and I were laughing really hard.

You read a book in one sitting? The closest I've come to that recently is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but that only took me two days to read because it was my friends and he wouldn't let me borrow it.

You have broken a bone? Never, and I hope it stays that way.

You spoke to your grandparents? About two months back, I think. I should visit them sometime or give them a call.

You slept on a couch? On Saturday night. I was drinking, of course.

You made a full meal from scratch? Not that I can recall, really. I did cook bacon tonight for BLTs. Tasty.

You attended a wedding that wasn't your own? Very recently. A friend of mine got married last month.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    When was the last time you sumo wrestled a grizzly bear in a speedo while humming "Grand Ole Flag?"
    Yesterday, of course. The big furry bastard bit me.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

You were involved in a physical altercation?
    Never. I've always been able to talk (or run) my way out of a fight.

You went 24 hours (or more) without sleep?
    Might have been when we went to Japan before the kids were born. By the time we finally put our heads on a pillow in Yokosuka, we had most likely been awake for 24 hours. (during which, it should be noted that since we were traveling in the opposite direction of the earth's rotation, we never once encountered night).

You told someone you loved them?
    This morning as I was leaving for work.

You got so drunk you were sick to your stomach?
    If you mean so drunk I hurled, that would have to be at Scar's place a few years back. Good times.

You were in an argument or confrontation where, upon thinking back on it, you were in the wrong?
    Oh, I do that at least five times a day.

You had food poisoning?
    Last time I was at Arby's.

You slept for 12 hours or more?
    To be sure, not since we've had kids.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

• You drove a car that you didn't own? (including your SO's)
      High school.

• You drank Kool-Aid?
      11. Oh, you mean actual Kool-Aid, the drink, not religion? Snap. Heh. I couldn't help it. Anyway, I dunno. Don't think I've ever had Kool-Aid.

• You saw a movie at the theaters alone?
      Well, I guess I go to press screenings and film festivals alone all the time, but commercially? Hmm. Uhhh. Well, shit, I have no idea.

• You (and/or your party) were the only ones in an empty theater?
      The Hours, whenever that was. There was another couple at first but they left after the first 30 minutes or so.

• You read a book in one sitting?
      If graphic novels count, yesterday. If not, last month. Dashiel Hammett.

• You have broken a bone?
      Never.

• You spoke to your grandparents?
      Been a year now.

• You slept on a couch?
      Two Fridays ago.

• You made a full meal from scratch?
      Sometime last month.

• You attended a wedding that wasn't your own?
      Two gay friends wed a month before the prop 8 vote.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

High school, best I can recall. My dumbshit friend had a crush on my girlfriend or something and tried to mess with us when we were spending lunch hour together (one time, he called me up at night and warned me that she's a very nice girl and that I better not take her virginity or else--what a tool). I wasn't in a joking mood and he got all offended and tried to pick a fight. I ignored him and went to class before the bell. He came into my classroom and started calling me names at my desk and pointing fingers at my face. I told him politely I don't like fingers in my face. He kept doing it so I slapped it. He restored his finger to its original location on my face and asked me to step outside to settle this problem. I obliged him. We both got detention.

When I saw Inception at 3:30 AM and then went to work immediately after the movie.

Today.

It was a few months ago. I puked in the sink because I had no strength to lift up the toilet lid.

You were in an argument or confrontation where, upon thinking back on it, you were in the wrong?
    I think this happens all the time.

You had food poisoning?
    I'm never sure about this. I don't really go to the doctor. When my stomach hurts I just sleep it off, so who knows what caused it.

Never.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I can't sleep for 12 hours any more and it pisses me off. I used to do it all the time in college, now I'm lucky to get 9!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

If I wake up and found out I'd slept for 12 hours, I'd be royally pissed. Waste of my time.
    Movie Theater Diary

I love sleeping. I love it so much I get kind of excited when it's time to sleep, and I'm disappointed when I wake up.

Part of it is that I love being rested, but part of it is that I have fantastic, vivid dreams that I feel give me insight into my mind and my life.
    ...and the milk's in me.

You drove a car that you didn't own? (including your SO's)
    I don't know how to drive.

You drank Kool-Aid?
    Last summer. Grape.

You saw a movie at the theaters alone?
    The Happening (free pass)

You (and/or your party) were the only ones in an empty theater?
    Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

You read a book in one sitting?
    Hater by David Moody, last spring.

You have broken a bone?
    Nope.

You spoke to your grandparents?
    Last year.

You slept on a couch?
    I fell asleep on the couch while watching Iron Man a few weeks ago.

You made a full meal from scratch?
    I do this every other day or so.

You attended a wedding that wasn't your own?

Ugh. Autumn 2008.
    My Mom - 10

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Part of it is that I love being rested, but part of it is that I have fantastic, vivid dreams that I feel give me insight into my mind and my life.
    But how do you know that they are your own?

I N C E P T I O N
    Movie Theater Diary

It's been about ten years.
    I had a bit of a stalker thing at school where a guy put his hands on me, but I'm not counting that as a physical altercation.

Any time I take a bus to or from Canada, so the last time was on July 18th.

About 45 minutes ago.

Hasn't happened since I was about 14 and tried to show off by drinking too much. I'm sure they were all impressed by my cries.

It's been a while. I don't remember. When it happens I feel like shit and I do apologize. I will not be able to sleep until I make up for being a jerk.

You had food poisoning?
    I have never been diagnosed with food poisoning, but I am sure I've had it at some point and thought it was a stomach bug.

I can't sleep that much anymore. I wish I could.
    My Mom - 10

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Think it was junior year, high school. Very brief fight.

February when we helped my wife's grandmother move. We left so early it made no sense to try and sleep.

This morning.

College graduation night. I'm much more relaxed in my drinking these days.

Over the weekend with my wife.

You had food poisoning?
    I had a stomach bug in February.

The morning after college graduation. :P
    Seriously, not sure I ever really have. I have always been an 8-hour kind of guy. Usually probably more like 6.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Yeah, I always assumed food-borne illnesses were bacterial whereas the contagious 'stomach flu' was viral.
    Sort of true.

Part of the problem is that people use "stomach flu" for different things. It's not a medical term. It's just made up. But in general it's referring to a gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach and intestines) which causes nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Now there are many causes of gastroenteritis, including viruses that are contagious (Rotavirus is the most common among kids and they swarm the hospitals around March of every year when it breaks out, or Norwalk virus which is a classic one that spreads on cruise ships), bacteria that are contagious (Salmonella) and bacteria that aren't contagious (E.Coli, or the Campylobacter that you got from that undercooked chicken).

So gastroenteritis is the catch-all, and most people when they say "stomach flu" really mean to say that. "Food poisoning" is any gastroenteritis that you get that came from improperly prepared food, be it the noncontagious kind (that yogurt sat outside the fridge too long) or contagious kind (Typhoid Mary cooked your meatballs).

It doesn't have to be viral to be contagious. Many of the bacteria spread via fecal-oral route, meaning you caught it from your Mom because she didn't wash her hands well enough after she took a dump and then she made you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Thanks Mom!

Looks like the doctor beat me to it!

Meg: Some food borne illnesses are easily transmitted among people.

Derek: They can be bacterial or viral

EDIT: FYI, the latest credential I've picked up is Registered Sanitarian, as well as Food Safety Professional, so I've been 'knee deep' in food borne illness stuff for awhile.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    If I wake up and found out I'd slept for 12 hours, I'd be royally pissed. Waste of my time.
    This. Kind of why I don't heavily drink so much anymore. Hangover days are the biggest waste of days ever.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Oh man, I slept for 12 hours a couple months ago after a few really long days at work and it was glorious. Sure, I could've woken up after 8, still been tired and done something, but I'll take feeling a few less hours of feeling refreshed and rejuvenated over a few more hours of awake and groggy any day of the week.

Derek: They can be bacterial or viral

EDIT: FYI, the latest credential I've picked up is Registered Sanitarian, as well as Food Safety Professional, so I've been 'knee deep' in food borne illness stuff for awhile.
    Awesome, although it'll probably be impossible for you to completely relax in a restaurant ever again.

EDIT: And thanks Amberlita as well...that clears up a lot.

You were involved in a physical altercation? I usually avoid those. However, a friend almost knocked me out (we were both drunk, heh) but instead luckily did not do so.

You went 24 hours (or more) without sleep? I went about 12, maybe a bit more, hours without sleep before. But never 24 hours.

You told someone you loved them? My parents, recently. Why not?

You got so drunk you were sick to your stomach? A couple weeks back at a friend's party. However, I didn't puke for some reason.

You were in an argument or confrontation where, upon thinking back on it, you were in the wrong? Too many times to count or recall.

You had food poisoning? Never, and I hope it stays that way.

You slept for 12 hours or more? Plenty of times. The last one I can remember was a Sunday a couple weeks ago. Slept in for 12 hours, felt great.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

MadMan, the longest you've ever gone without sleep is 12 hours???

Man, I wish I lived your life. :lol:
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Ha. I was thinking the same thing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

MADMAN: Oh jeez. It's 5pm. I've been up since noon. I gotta take a siesta if I'm expected to make it through the day.

BOSS: You're done at 6pm.

MADMAN: Exactly. I still have a whole hour to go.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Hey, what can I say? I like sleep. I've tried to push not sleeping as far as I can go, but since I don't drink coffee its more difficult. And I've never had a reason to stay awake that long, really.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Hey, what can I say? I like sleep. I've tried to push not sleeping as far as I can go, but since I don't drink coffee its more difficult. And I've never had a reason to stay awake that long, really.

I love sleep, too. I look forward to sleep.

But like, have you ever worked an 8-hour-a-day job? Assuming you spend at least an hour between getting up and ready and traveling to and from work, and an hour for prepping food then eating it, that only leaves you with 2 extra hours in the day.

I would start to feel like all I ever did was sleep and work.

For example, my dad thinks I'm a lazy ass who sleeps all the time, but the fact is that I just run on a completely different schedule from him. He has a regular 9-5 job. I work 12-8. I am up at 11, then go to bed at 3 or 4am. So really we're doing the same thing, just at different times.

Doing stuff > sleep

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast