Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1,001 Albums...

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Yeah, I'll definitely check that one out.
    That said, I did a RYM search and it's kind of interesting—it seems like there is an Ashra and an Ash Ra Tempel (seperate band pages), however they are the same band. Typically when a band goes by multiple names, the band just has the profile and the other names that they go by are mentioned there.

Also, did you ever try to seek out that Kreng album, L'autopsie phénoménale de Dieu? I just wanted to recommend it to you again and to anyone else who is interested while I'm here, specifically because I think you'd like it a lot. I definitely think that it should be considered for a list like this one. Probably the best jazz-noir dark ambient sound collage music I've ever heard.

Warning: it might actually frighten someone who isn't prepared. The atmosphere is thicker than most movies I've seen and is perfect dark room or rainy drive music.

[youtube]-a9e3ayvUnw[/youtube]

But at what point does a knowledgeable music buff go "You know what? You haven't lived until you've heard Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water cover-to-cover."
    I was wondering the same about Dexy's Midnight Runners. Really? The whole album?
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I was wondering the same about Dexy's Midnight Runners. Really? The whole album?
    Actually, I have a friend who swears by all three of their albums, but of course I had the same initial response as you did. He's a whore for early 80s UK pop/rock though, so take that with a grain of salt. I did, however, just check RYM and, much to my surprise, all 3 scored a very respectable 3.8 or higher out of 5.

Actually, I have a friend who swears by all three of their albums, but of course I had the same initial response as you did. He's a whore for early 80s UK pop/rock though, so take that with a grain of salt. I did, however, just check RYM and, much to my surprise, all 3 scored a very respectable 3.8 or higher out of 5.
    I'll give them a shot at some point. I don't know that I'm going to make it through an entire Grateful Dead album though.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Very true, but usually the choices at least make some sense. I mean, I kinda hate The Mars Volta, but I can understand someone putting De-loused at the Comatorium on there. But at what point does a knowledgeable music buff go "You know what? You haven't lived until you've heard Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water cover-to-cover." I can't imagine even a moderate fan of music not to laugh in their face. Then again, I consider nu-metal to be among the most putrid music ever released.
    Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water deserves its inclusion due to its enduring status as the cultural nadir of the expressive medium known as "music". It is only through the prism of Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water that we as a society can truly appreciate the aesthetic gifts which albums that are not Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water can deliver.

As a side note, in his early teens, the poster known as Winston* once owned Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water. As of 2010, he remains not proud of this fact.

I'll give them a shot at some point. I don't know that I'm going to make it through an entire Grateful Dead album though.
    Give Workingman's Dead a shot. I'm merely a casual fan of the band, but I listened to it recently and found it to be great.

Hmmm ... Led Zeppelin III ... not really feeling it. I've always felt guilty for not being more familiar with Zeppelin, but this kind of made me feel like perhaps there was a reason for that. I guess I like my rock bands a bit more poppy or punky or glam or something. It's all so self-serious that I lost interest midway through. Apologies. Guess I failed this one.
    :sad: I love me some Led Zeppelin III. Its my favorite album by the band. Oh well. How is the album self-serious? I don't understand that criticism.

Limp Bizcut exists as a guilty pleasure at best. I like their singles, but I'm in no rush to hear or buy any of their actual albums.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Criterion released those because they need money to stay in business and release the rarer films they want to release.
    Fair enough. Some people may have consciously decided that out of 1,000 albums everyone needs to hear before they die, at least a couple of them should be complete and utter shit.
    I think the rationale standing behind whoever made this list is similar to the CC mission's ideals: "...a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films..." in that asking if The Rock is an important film alone is missing the point that it is a brilliant example of what it is, for what it is. I have a feeling that that's what they were shooting for (in both lists), though I'm sure I could take issue with some inclusions in this list as well. I'm sure that financial cushion was certainly a factor, too (in CC's list).
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I think Boner'd agree with you too. I slightly prefer Tago Mago myself, but both are among my all-time faves. Future Days is fantastic as well, but with 1,000 slots, that's not one to leave out, especially with Linkin Park, Destiny's Child and Limp Bizkit needlessly taking up spots.
    Don't be hatin' on the Bizkit.

Dexy's is brilliant. Their album Don't Stand Me Down is a pop masterpiece. Rowland's lyrics and passionate vocals create an intense sense of longing and romance, and the music is intricately arranged and expertly produced, and played with great skill.

"This is What She's Like," is one of the best "pop" songs ever written - although I don't know if a 12-minute song can really be called pop. It's more like a miniature pop-suite or something.

The entire album flows from one track to the next, there is a consistent theme to it, and thus it really needs to be listened to as a whole, without interruption.

Listen to Don't Stand Me Down. It's amazing.

Nothing from the Adrien Belew-era King Crimson is criminal. Discipline, Beat, or Three of a Perfect Pair...at least one of these should be on the list. Preferably Discipline.

Yeah - listening to Don't Stand Me Down right now...

So freaking amazing. This kind of pop just doesn't exist anymore. A true musical treasure.

Listening to the Louvin Brothers today. Never heard of them, but I'm really liking their twangy country. It's exactly the kind of country that I love, along with bluegrass. Really quite a remarkable album so far. Very O Brother...
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Listened to The White Album, which, of course, I have heard many times before. I will be surprised if I hear another album that matches it.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Abby Road and Sergent Peppers>The White Album
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Abby Road and Sergent Peppers>The White Album
    Negatory. Excellent though they may be.

Listening to The Louvin Brothers now, based on Wryan's rec. They are indeed very fun.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Listening to The Louvin Brothers now, based on Wryan's rec. They are indeed very fun.
    Stunning harmony work. Crystal clear.

--Homer

I did listen to the Elvis album the other day, and I like Elvis just fine. Didn't realize how high he could get. His "hiccuping" sound is much like Buddy Holly's; not sure who did it first.

--Homer

Full list:

[
    ]

There are different revisions of the book, so this may not exactly match the website linked above.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I've only heard 85 albums off of the list. I have a long, long ways to go....
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Just realized Homogenic isn't on there. Bjork's on there three times, but weird that Medúlla gets a spot over that one.

Just realized Homogenic isn't on there. Bjork's on there three times, but weird that Medúlla gets a spot over that one.
    Yeah, I would say that her two best albums are not represented. Homogenic and Post.

Also, no To Bring You My Love from PJ Harvey, though she is represented strongly with three other albums.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

353. Definitely better than I thought, though I was surprised by how many I haven't heard from the 90s.

[
    ]

Yeah, I would say that her two best albums are not represented. Homogenic and Post.
    I know it's a bit weird, but Vespertine is my favorite of hers, although Homogenic and Post are perfect albums. Both should be on there.

Quote Quoting Spinal
    Also, no To Bring You My Love from PJ Harvey, though she is represented strongly with three other albums.
    Huh. I somehow haven't heard Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea yet. I will have to rectify. And to continue my strange opinions on your favorite singers, I prefer White Chalk to Dry, Rid of Me and To Bring You My Love. I like 'em all though.

Huh. I somehow haven't heard Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea yet.
    It's probably my favorite.

And to continue my strange opinions on your favorite singers, I prefer White Chalk to Dry, Rid of Me and To Bring You My Love. I like 'em all though.
    I have a strange relationship with White Chalk. I initially considered it somewhat slight. But then I used it as mood music for the last play I was in to help me get into a somber state of mind. I listened to it several times a week for a couple of months. I grew to appreciate its subtle power and chilling starkness. I don't even know if I can rank it anymore because it now carries associations for me that go beyond the music itself.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I'm surprised Mingus Ah Um isn't listed. I would consider it a top 5 jazz album (and I'm sure I'm not alone here).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast