Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Avatar: The Legend of Korra

Not those newsreels specifically, but haven't there been radio news clips about Korra and Amon and such played during the show? It struck me as an attempt at an extension of those. Even if not, I don't really find em cute.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Not those newsreels specifically, but haven't there been radio news clips about Korra and Amon and such played during the show? It struck me as an attempt at an extension of those. Even if not, I don't really find em cute.
    There have been press conferences but none of them were done in the style that the previously on is being done in, there are also radio broadcasts but again not in that style either. I like them much better then some low voice saying "Previously on..." and then showing clips. It's a saturday/sunday morning cartoon, they're going to have to show previous clips somehow and I think this way is really quite clever.

Damn this was good. Nice to finally see Beifong in action. Also, Pabu is stealing my heart. Also also, it's just so funny to hear so many actors whose voices I thought I knew doing such good work: J.K. Simmons, David Faustino, Maria Bamford, Lance Henriksen, Mindy Sterling.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I was very pleased with this last episode. One latent criticism I had was that the show didn't seem to be reaching for the epic scope of the last series, but I figured it was a matter of time... and I was right. This upped the stakes beautifully.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I'm really surprised/pleased by how mature this show has been. Another terrific episode, and I can't wait for the one hour finale.

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    I'm really surprised/pleased by how mature this show has been. Another terrific episode, and I can't wait for the one hour finale.
    Same here, very good. I do miss Sokka a bit still.

I don't watch the show, but still can't get over how amazingly beautiful this Korra cosplayer is:

[]

Things are heating up in the show. Good stuff. I do feel like the pacing feels a bit rushed though. They'll introduce a plot point and then wrap it up an episode or two later. I miss the original series ability to gradually build up to a moment with a huge emotional pay out.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod. This episode. Amazing. Crazy. Sorry, freaking out.

Very spoiler:
    [
    ]

--Homer

Agreed, fantastic episode. The moment you said it was so good it was the next thing I watched. Kudos to you.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    Agreed, fantastic episode. The moment you said it was so good it was the next thing I watched. Kudos to you.
    Ditto. Good stuff.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Great season finale, although the last ten minutes or so really does pack a lot of stuff into a relatively small time frame (arguably the entire hour-long episode does this), perhaps slightly overdoing it to wrap things up. But it was alright with me overall. I'm happy with the way this season ended but full on confused how they'll pick it up with the next season. Bring it on, though.

--Homer

Agreed. I just watched it and the entire show has felt a bit rushed. I think it's mainly because of the constraints they put upon themselves. With Avatar they had more breathing room.

[
    ]

The season finale was awesome. I'm really excited to see where we go with this. Not crazy about Iroh's voice actor, though.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I liked the season overall but the pacing and certain narrative decisions don't work for me at all.

Example:

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I liked the season overall but the pacing and certain narrative decisions don't work for me at all.

Example:

[
    ]
    I definitely agree with this. What I think I would have preferred:

[
    ]

I definitely agree with this. What I think I would have preferred:

[
    ]
    [
    ]

Three seasons of 20ish episodes each vs. two seasons of 12-14 each. It's definitely going to have a condensing impact on the narrative arc. But I think they could have done a little better in not making things feel too rushed. Season 2 could be great though. Anyone know why they couldn't/didn't do a fuller plate of episodes?

--Homer

They didn't want to. They apparently had their arm quite twisted to even doing this series. Nickolodeon wants them to make episodes forever but they seem to want to tell concrete stories, and this next part is purely my own theory, I think they wanted to see if they could make a series in 26 episodes (like unto a lot of anime). They proved they could do 60, maybe they wanted to just see if 26 was possible.

They didn't want to. They apparently had their arm quite twisted to even doing this series. Nickolodeon wants them to make episodes forever but they seem to want to tell concrete stories, and this next part is purely my own theory, I think they wanted to see if they could make a series in 26 episodes (like unto a lot of anime). They proved they could do 60, maybe they wanted to just see if 26 was possible.
    Welp... they should have stuck to their original format. :P

The finale was VERY rushed, but I still liked it. Amon is such a great character. I don't know how he will be topped for season 2.

Naga was the true hero of the season.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Did the show ever explain how Amon could take people's bending away?
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Did the show ever explain how Amon could take people's bending away?
    Yes, it was a form of bloodbending. He modifies their biology by manipulating the blood... somehow.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Took me so long to catch up, but wow, finally finished it and the show really ramped up. I think I liked the three episodes leading to the finale more than the finale itself, but I always love build ups.

I was disappointed by the last-minute reversals, but then I remembered that this was supposed to be a one-off miniseries. They didn't plan for a second season when they produced these episodes, so that was going to be the end. If so, I can understand why they didn't want to end it on a huge downer like the hero losing her powers. Amon's death was dark enough.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Amon's death was dark enough.
    Best scene of the finale and possibly the series. Surprised Nickelodeon got away with that.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast