Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar: The Legend of Korra

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I watched the first episode today. Very compelling start. Animation is stunning, as I expected. Korra is a nice variation on Aang, different enough that it doesn't feel like familiar territory. I'm glad they started the series with Aang already departed. Smart move. Even having Katara as part of the cast felt a bit... I don't know, gimmicky isn't the right word. I guess it felt like an unnecessary bone thrown to those who watched Avatar. Unnecessary pretty much encapsulates my feelings about it, but it's a totally forgivable move. Tenzin is a nice character. I like his quiet demeanor. Not sure I care for his children, outside of the reserved, inquisitive daughter. Hoping the hyperactive bunch don't dominate too much time. I get enough of that with my own kids. Loved the introduction of the villain, and his Noh-style mask. Very creepy.

Anyway, I'm excited to continue.

I was about ready to come in here saying this sequel lost the heart which made the original so unique, but then the last three minutes of the second episode happened. Tenzin cheering Korra on at the match was exactly the moment I started to become on board with this. The world and mythology are still familiar yet different -- really like the sports angle and the benders vs common folk social backdrop. Like the mentor/student relationship, Tenzin will probably end up being one of my favorite characters. His youngest son kind of creeps me out, though. Also have a feeling the love story will carry more weight with Korra's story. That's to be expected, I guess, as Korra is older than Aang. Biggest thing the show could use right now is a reliable comic relief character. I'm missing Sokka.

How many seasons is this planning on going on? With Korra already mastered 3/4 of the elements, how much of a story do they have planned?

That second episode, while good, irked me something fierce. Much like the Harry Potter series, it's yet another example of a sport being created by someone who doesn't understand sports. If you lose the first two rounds, why would you win the match for winning round three? It makes the first two rounds completely inconsequential. The score would still be two rounds to one in any realistic sporting scenario. It's the golden snitch syndrome all over again.

That's Numberwang!

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    That second episode, while good, irked me something fierce. Much like the Harry Potter series, it's yet another example of a sport being created by someone who doesn't understand sports. If you lose the first two rounds, why would you win the match for winning round three? It makes the first two rounds completely inconsequential. The score would still be two rounds to one in any realistic sporting scenario. It's the golden snitch syndrome all over again.
    Ehhhh, not at all. It's fashioned after the point systems in wrestling and boxing. A boxer can amass more points than you, but if you knock him the fuck out, you obviously win the match. That's how the Ferrets won that match. It wasn't about the fact that it was the third round.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Ehhhh, not at all. It's fashioned after the point systems in wrestling and boxing. A boxer can amass more points than you, but if you knock him the fuck out, you obviously win the match. That's how the Ferrets won that match. It wasn't about the fact that it was the third round.
    Not buying it. No point system was ever discussed, and in all rounds, all three team members of the respective teams were knocked off the platform. There was no difference in dominance. It's poorly constructed.

Not buying it. No point system was ever discussed, and in all rounds, all three team members of the respective teams were knocked off the platform. There was no difference in dominance. It's poorly constructed.
    Are you sure? I'll have to watch the episode again, but the way I remember it, the other team won the first two rounds because they had the most territory when the time ran out, and then in the last round it was Mako by himself pushing all three opponents off the field, gaining a KO win.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Are you sure? I'll have to watch the episode again, but the way I remember it, the other team won the first two rounds because they had the most territory when the time ran out, and then in the last round it was Mako by himself pushing all three opponents off the field, gaining a KO win.
    I just finished watching it about 45 minutes ago, and if that was supposed to be related, it was done extremely poorly. I'll go back and check it out again.

Yep, I just checked the first round of the Ferrets vs Tigerdillo match that introduced the sport. When the Ferrets member that quit was knocked out of the field, the announcer said, "He'll be back for Round 2... assuming the remaining two can hold their ground until the end of the round." Then a bell rings and the Tigerdillos won the first round with Mako and Bolin still on the field.
    Movie Theater Diary

Yep, I just checked the first round of the Ferrets vs Tigerdillo match that introduced the sport. When the Ferrets member that quit was knocked out of the field, the announcer said, "He'll be back for Round 2... assuming the remaining two can hold their ground until the end of the round." Then a bell rings and the Tigerdillos won the first round with Mako and Bolin still on the field.
    Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Does that then mean that a match could be won in the first round if all three opponents are knocked from the platform?

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Does that then mean that a match could be won in the first round if all three opponents are knocked from the platform?
    Yeah, I believe so. You were right that there are no points, though. You win a round by occupying the most of the 6 zones on the field when the timer runs out, regardless of how many members are left (even if your team has 1 guy and the other still has 3, if you've backed them into their side's Zone 3 at the edge and hold them there until the round is up, your team wins), but how many of the 3 rounds you win only matters if there's no KO.
    Movie Theater Diary

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. That's actually a fairly well thought-out sport. I retract my previous statement.

Yeah, the rules weren't made very clear, but I would rather jump straight into the action and figure them out rather than be explained through dialogue by a character. I'm assuming we'll be seeing much more of this sport in the future, so we can learn along with Korra. Obviously she still doesn't really know how to play yet as of Ep 2.

I also completely agree with the Harry Potter Quidditch comment. I've only read the first book, but I thought it was poorly designed to create any tension in a match. I don't see the same issue here.

I agree that Quidditch is mostly very poorly though out in terms of tension, but there is some strategy into the Snitch that the films fail to properly explain. Yes, catching a Snitch ends a game, but the common misconception is that it's an automatic win. Actually, you just get 150 points, and often that's enough to get you a win if you catch it early enough in the match, but if the other team has already scored 160 points from the Quaffle and your team's score is still 0, then by catching the Snitch you are essentially forfeiting.
    Movie Theater Diary

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. That's actually a fairly well thought-out sport. I retract my previous statement.
    Eat your shoe KF.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

The scoring in Quidditch is irrelevant. Everyone should just be flying around waiting for the snitch to be released, and then go after it. It's a stupid sport.

I agree that Quidditch is mostly very poorly though out in terms of tension, but there is some strategy into the Snitch that the films fail to properly explain. Yes, catching a Snitch ends a game, but the common misconception is that it's an automatic win. Actually, you just get 150 points, and often that's enough to get you a win if you catch it early enough in the match, but if the other team has already scored 160 points from the Quaffle and your team's score is still 0, then by catching the Snitch you are essentially forfeiting.
    Yes, but no team in the books is even close to getting beat by 150 points. The books treats it like a near impossibility. I mean, in professional Quidditch, how often would a team be being beat by 150 points?

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Eat your shoe KF.
    Shut your ass face!

Asami is one foxy cartoon character.

Episode 5 was fun. The date was pretty damn adorable. I hope this is the only incidence of the love triangle since it's hard to do it without being predictable, but I have a feeling it won't be the last time we see issues of this sort.

EDIT: Also, calling it here...

[
    ]
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I'm really liking the dual plot going on. I'm not as invested in the tournament, obviously, but it's an interesting and exciting way to not have every episode be about Amon.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm not sure I've mentioned how much I like the old timey honky-tonk music they keep playing on this series.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I'm not sure I've mentioned how much I like the old timey honky-tonk music they keep playing on this series.
    The "March of Time" newsreel introductions at the beginning were funny at first, but they don't really make sense given that "they" couldn't really know intimate moments between characters/thoughts, etc.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    The "March of Time" newsreel introductions at the beginning were funny at first, but they don't really make sense given that "they" couldn't really know intimate moments between characters/thoughts, etc.
    :crazy:

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I assumed it was just a cute variation of "Previously on..." and not supposed to be an actual newsreel shown publicly.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I assumed it was just a cute variation of "Previously on..." and not supposed to be an actual newsreel shown publicly.
    That's exactly what it is. I guess I could see it not making sense if the newsreel happened at other times during the show, but it doesn't.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast