Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    I hope they don't go there, personally.
    I hope so too. While I like that the scene was ambiguous to the viewers, I don't like the idea that it was ambiguous to Vince Gilligan. I want him to have known exactly what he meant by that scene and I'd read that

[
    ]

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I hope so too. While I like that the scene was ambiguous to the viewers, I don't like the idea that it was ambiguous to Vince Gilligan. I want him to have known exactly what he meant by that scene and I'd read that

[
    ]
    It wasn't ambiguous to him. He meant for it to be clear that Jesse shot Gale. It was to me, but in retrospect, I suppose I can see why some people thought it was unclear. I hope he follows through with his original intentions.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    It wasn't ambiguous to him. He meant for it to be clear that Jesse shot Gale. It was to me, but in retrospect, I suppose I can see why some people thought it was unclear. I hope he follows through with his original intentions.
    Right, I know. That's why I'm wondering why he would open it up to the writer's room for another interpretation when he clearly had a particular intent for the scene. Though I guess it's never a terrible idea to consider more ideas rather than less, I'd still feel like it was a copout to change the ending.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I never doubted for a second that it was part of his plan. He never intended to give up Jesse, he just needed an excuse to get on the phone. The breaking down was all part of the act.

Anyway, one thing I especially love about this series is the various inventive uses of the cold open - flashbacks, flashforwards, montages, fake advertisements, music videos, filling in the gaps in previous episodes, insect anatomy.....
    Hrm well personally I don't agree, I think he did actually break down. You can still sense the desperation in his voice when he yells at Jesse to take Gale out and the confidence tinged with nervousness he has when he tells the two hitmen that they're going to still need him.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Yeah, don't think Walt is supposed to be as good an actor as Cranston.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    They're probably just gonna play around with the idea that he didn't shoot him, maybe in the cold open or the first act, but then it'll be revealed that he did, because of course he did, and we'll all move on.

I hope.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Hrm well personally I don't agree, I think he did actually break down. You can still sense the desperation in his voice when he yells at Jesse to take Gale out and the confidence tinged with nervousness he has when he tells the two hitmen that they're going to still need him.
    There is only a touch of nervousness after he tells Jesse to do it, because he needs to make sure Mike actually cares that Gale is in danger (if Mike doesn't care, Walt is dead regardless). As soon as he sees the look in Mike's eye, he is ice cool and collected ("Yeah."). Certainly in a way that suggests that he had a game plan that lead to that moment.

In other words, he was acting the break down. He needed to look like a desperate man in order to allow him to use the phone. Simple as that. As soon as Jesse answered, Walt was all business.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    They're probably just gonna play around with the idea that he didn't shoot him, maybe in the cold open or the first act, but then it'll be revealed that he did, because of course he did, and we'll all move on.

I hope.
    Yeah, Jesse really needs to have done it for the story to be able to keep moving forward. Nothing else would fit.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I don't think they will play with it at all. I think it will open with Jesse standing over his body, exactly where we left off.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    There is only a touch of nervousness after he tells Jesse to do it, because he needs to make sure Mike actually cares that Gale is in danger (if Mike doesn't care, Walt is dead regardless). As soon as he sees the look in Mike's eye, he is ice cool and collected ("Yeah."). Certainly in a way that suggests that he had a game plan that lead to that moment.

In other words, he was acting the break down. He needed to look like a desperate man in order to allow him to use the phone. Simple as that. As soon as Jesse answered, Walt was all business.
    Ehh he offered other things up before offering Jesse. I agree with you that offering Jesse was predominantly a ploy (once he offered Jesse he then had it in his mind to call him) but he broke down before that and I don't think that break down was a ploy. He knew he was about to die.

This isn't exactly some master plan he put in action here. He wasn't expecting to be picked up at his house to be killed that very night.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

So I'm making my way through season 3, it's really great so far and all, but I'm trying to figure something out and maybe someone here can help me. [
    ]
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    So I'm making my way through season 3, it's really great so far and all, but I'm trying to figure something out and maybe someone here can help me. [
    ]
    Anyone? Is it just a plot hole?
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    Anyone? Is it just a plot hole?
    From the Breaking Bad wiki that exists for some reason:

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    There are wikis for all popular shows out there somewhere.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)

[
    ]
    Ah, OK. I had forgotten that. Thanks.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Season 4 won't start until July 2011. To fill the gap, they are supposedly producing 3-4 minute "mini-episodes" that Cranston hopes won't be filler, but probably will be. Wonder what this means for the inevitable Mad Men season five.

No Emmy for Cranston next year, it seems.

Yeah, that's hardly going to stem my inevitable withdrawal and depression. Not qualifying for the Emmys doesn't bother me so much, though if I were going to lament something it would be Aaron Paul's lack of opportunity, assuming he doesn't win this year. Actually, if he did win, I think that might be the only thing that would make me feel better about waiting so long.

"Peekabo." Wow. Another amazing standalone episode.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    "Peekabo." Wow. Another amazing standalone episode.
    I think this might have been about the point that I said, "Hey, Aaron Paul is kind of an amazing actor." That's right about where his performance and his character became my anchor to the series rather than Walt.

It's unrealistic to have every episode be like "Peekabo" and the one with Tuco and his dad, but damn, I just hope I come across another masterful ep every time I watch now.

Odenkirk, who figured?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Regarding the second to last episode of season two:

[
    ]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

USA Today is following Aaron Paul's activities pre-Emmy week. It's not very interesting, but it's Aaron Paul. Fingers still crossed for him Sunday.

Nice win for Aaron! Tough competition, but definitely deserving.
    The Last Exorcism (Stamm, 2010) - **½
    The Karate Kid (Zwart, 2010) - ***
    Date Night (Levy, 2010) - **½
    Toy Story 3 (Unkrich, 2010) - ****
    The Kids Are All Right (Cholodenko, 2010) - ***
    Mrs. Henderson Presents (Frears, 2005) - ***
    Black Sunday (Frankenheimer, 1977) - **½
    The Hands That Rocks the Cradle (Hanson, 1992) - **½

And now Cranston! Nice.
    The Last Exorcism (Stamm, 2010) - **½
    The Karate Kid (Zwart, 2010) - ***
    Date Night (Levy, 2010) - **½
    Toy Story 3 (Unkrich, 2010) - ****
    The Kids Are All Right (Cholodenko, 2010) - ***
    Mrs. Henderson Presents (Frears, 2005) - ***
    Black Sunday (Frankenheimer, 1977) - **½
    The Hands That Rocks the Cradle (Hanson, 1992) - **½

I am elated for Aaron Paul. Deliriously happy.

Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast