Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad

I was surprised that I didn't notice a thread dedicated to this, so I figured I would start one. Does anyone else watch this show regularly? I think this is one of the few shows where the second season was actually better than the first. Most shows seem to have that "sophomore slump" where the first season is awesome and the second season is fairly mediocre (see "Lost," "The Wire," etc.), but the second season of Breaking Bad far-surpassed the first, which was great in its own right. I think the third season so far has been a bit of a let-down, but it will be interesting to see where things go.
    The Last Exorcism (Stamm, 2010) - **½
    The Karate Kid (Zwart, 2010) - ***
    Date Night (Levy, 2010) - **½
    Toy Story 3 (Unkrich, 2010) - ****
    The Kids Are All Right (Cholodenko, 2010) - ***
    Mrs. Henderson Presents (Frears, 2005) - ***
    Black Sunday (Frankenheimer, 1977) - **½
    The Hands That Rocks the Cradle (Hanson, 1992) - **½

Quote Quoting RoadtoPerdition (view post)
    "sophomore slump" where the first season is awesome and the second season is fairly mediocre (see ... "The Wire," etc.)
    I wouldn't agree with this.

Yeah I wouldn't agree with that either. Season 2 of the The Wire had a different focus and for that I liked it less, but it is still brilliant and doesn't even get within sniffing distance of mediocrity.

Nor would I agree the third season of Breaking Bad is a let-down. I would consider this one of the few wholey consistent shows on television. Every season has been solid. I'm chomping at the bit for tomorrow's finale.

Anyone noticed the abundance of monologues in this season? I can think of 5or 6 off the top of my head and they are all television poetry.

Quote Quoting amberlita
    Yeah I wouldn't agree with that either. Season 2 of the The Wire had a different focus and for that I liked it less, but it is still brilliant and doesn't even get within sniffing distance of mediocrity.
    Okay, maybe mediocre was too harsh. Season 2 was pretty good, but I just felt that it went way off-base from the groundwork Season 1 laid out; therefore, it was easy for me to not be as into it as I was the first season. I feel like all of the other seasons have a certain continuity to them and Season 2 is like the black sheep of the bunch. If you remove Season 2, the rest of the series would still be fluid and seem complete, which would not be the case if you removed one of the other seasons. It's kind of like the throw-away "monster of the week" episodes from The X-Files or Fringe -- they're entertaining for the most part, but don't amount to much when all is said and done. The only carry-over from Season 2 was The Greek, but they never really utilized him beyond that except as a means to transfer power from Proposition Joe to Marlo, and Beadie, who brought some dramatic aspects with her relationship to McNulty, but again, they really didn't utilize her specifically in the future seasons.

Quote Quoting amberlita
    Nor would I agree the third season of Breaking Bad is a let-down. I would consider this one of the few wholey consistent shows on television. Every season has been solid. I'm chomping at the bit for tomorrow's finale.
    Every season has been solid; I would agree with you there. For me, compared to the first two seasons, the third hasn't had a lot of "wow" moments. I think the episode with Hank getting shot was a great episode, but there haven't been many others this season that I would say were as good. The "fly-in-the-lab" episode was just awful, I thought. Probably the worst one of the entire series so far. Did you like that one? I also can't wait for the season finale.

Quote Quoting amberlita
    Anyone noticed the abundance of monologues in this season? I can think of 5or 6 off the top of my head and they are all television poetry.
    I hadn't really thought about it, but I believe you are correct. There have been some really intense ones, like when Jesse was in the hospital bed telling Walt how he would be going after Hank. The writing has been very strong consistently for this show.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Agreed on the quality, although I felt several were a bit out of place, like they just came out of nowhere and everything stopped for the duration.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Agreed on the quality, although I felt several were a bit out of place, like they just came out of nowhere and everything stopped for the duration.
    Hmm? Like which? All the ones I can think of felt very natural and organic. As mentioned, Jesse's hospital bed rant; Hank's soulful confession to Marie; Skylar's long con speech about Walt's "gambling" problem; in Fly, both Jesse's story of his aunt's cancer metasteses and Walt's postulation on the perfect time to have died; Mike's story of his mistaken half-measure. I can't think of a single one that felt out of place.

Quote Quoting RoadtoPerdition (view post)
    Every season has been solid; I would agree with you there. For me, compared to the first two seasons, the third hasn't had a lot of "wow" moments. I think the episode with Hank getting shot was a great episode, but there haven't been many others this season that I would say were as good. The "fly-in-the-lab" episode was just awful, I thought. Probably the worst one of the entire series so far. Did you like that one? I also can't wait for the season finale.
    Well I'd disagree with the lack of Wow moments as well but I'm not into defining a season or an episode's greatness based on that criteria.

And I thought "Fly" was utterly fantastic. It was a two-man piece of theater acting to me and an opportunity to focus on the single thing that holds this show together above all in my opinion and that's the relationship between Jesse and Walt. I think someone mentioned in the TV thread that it doesn't propel the story at all and while that may hold true in terms of plot developement, in retrospect it's one of the few things that makes Walt's actions at the end of "Half-Measures" make sense for me.

And I thought "Fly" was utterly fantastic. It was a two-man piece of theater acting to me and an opportunity to focus on the single thing that holds this show together above all in my opinion and that's the relationship between Jesse and Walt. I think someone mentioned in the TV thread that it doesn't propel the story at all and while that may hold true in terms of plot developement, in retrospect it's one of the few things that makes Walt's actions at the end of "Half-Measures" make sense for me.
    Fair points, I see where you're coming from.

This show has continually got better from the beginning.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Two episodes deep into Season 3. Apart from a lame cliche shot...

[
    ]

...it's been just as nuanced and fascinating as the latter half of Season 2.

Hmm? Like which?
    Walt's story about the green lights when he drove to the hospital for the operation. Great speech, but an awkward pause.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Walt's story about the green lights when he drove to the hospital for the operation. Great speech, but an awkward pause.
    I kind of thought that was the point. Watching the reaction shots on Skylar, Marie, and Walt Jr's faces while he spoke kind of said it all: "Ummm, awkward, Walt...please shut up." :lol: It ends with a good line, but Walt was fairly inappropriate and oblivious through the whole thing. Kind of like his speech at the high school in the season opener.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Why didn't anyone tell me John de Lancie was in Breaking Bad? I love him so much.

Also that was ep 10 of season 2 and that ending at the Home Depot is bad ass.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    Why didn't anyone tell me John de Lancie was in Breaking Bad? I love him so much.
    As if you needed more incentives...

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I've really been taking a long time with this second season.

Through episode 306, "Sunset." One more before I have to start waiting for the box set to come out.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Through episode 306, "Sunset." One more before I have to start waiting for the box set to come out.
    It's called The Internet dude.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    It's called The Internet dude.
    Surely you're not suggesting I do something illegal.

Wait...

::checks::

iTunes! Wahoo!

Aww man, a cock-tease of an ending! Whyyyyyyyyyyy! Oh well, just read they renewed it for a fourth season. ritch:

God damn it man, I can't believe we have to wait until 2011 for the next season.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    God damn it man, I can't believe we have to wait until 2011 for the next season.
    I know! Looks like Walt will be back in full Heisenberg mode.

Wanted to post this here mainly for ETM, who I thought I'd seen a number of times state that the pizza tossing scene was CGI...

Movie Web: Talk about the pizza scene. So I want to know was that a happy accident or was that something that was choreographed that you guys had to do like over and over again?

Vince Gilligan: Well it was definitely scripted but I'm going to let Bryan tell the story of how it worked.

Bryan Cranston: Well, would you believe one take that I threw that pizza up on the roof and it stuck in that position. It was the type of thing where I felt the heft of the pizza and it was a real pizza. And it was huge and it weighed a lot. And so I just guessed about how far I'd have to be away from that in order to heave it up there. And I still wanted it to be out of his anger and frustration as opposed to I'm going to throw this pizza on the roof and show you.

He didn't intend to throw it on the roof. He just intended to just throw it up in a fit and it happened to go on the roof. I thought that was a funnier way to do it. And so we just guessed and it landed. So that was it. Bang.

Oh.

My.

GOD.

"One Minute" is one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen.

Okay.

I think my heartbeat's slowing.

Okay.

I'm good.

Wanted to post this here mainly for ETM, who I thought I'd seen a number of times state that the pizza tossing scene was CGI...
    Haha! No, I was joking about that. It's awesome to know that it is real, though.

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Oh, man. What a finale. Seriously, that was marvelous. I really can't handle the tension that this show ratchets up.

The last ten minutes or so was remarkable.

[
    ]
    [
    ]

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast