Thread: J.J. Abrams' Super 8 (2011)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Yep, I was one of the ones who was gone the second the credits started. Don't feel bad about it either.
    You should pat yourself on the back for being special.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    So what did I miss?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    You should pat yourself on the back for being special.
    Ok.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    The one moment I thought to be completely hokey was the scene where Joe and Alice sit in Joe's room with a film projector between them and the film that plays is, conveniently, footage of Joe as a baby with his mother. Other than that, the movie was a great fusion of Abrams and Spielberg's filmmaking styles and storytelling techniques.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

One thing that annoyed me about this movie: there's one kid who likes firecrackers, and that is literally the extent of his personality. When he dies, there will be nothing to say at his funeral except for how much he liked firecrackers.

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    One thing that annoyed me about this movie: there's one kid who likes firecrackers, and that is literally the extent of his personality. When he dies, there will be nothing to say at his funeral except for how much he liked firecrackers.
    But wasn't it convenient how his knowledge and access to firecrackers was an important factor in the climax? That came as a surprise.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    But wasn't it convenient how his knowledge and access to firecrackers was an important factor in the climax? That came as a surprise.
    There were a lot of things Abrams did wrong with Super 8, but I still this was a stepping stone for him. He'll be able to reflect back on the misuse of characters and planted subject matter for future films.

The biggest being the reveal of the monster way too late. If you're gonna name a movie after the most important subject in the film, why not focus more around that subject? Oh because it takes a week for the film to finally develop. :lol: Let's see, what can we do for a week while the kids are waiting for the film to develop?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    I'm pretty sure that kid was based a little on Tanner from The Bad News Bears (at least in his looks) and the blonde wild child from Over the Edge.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I'm pretty sure that kid was based a little on Tanner from The Bad News Bears (at least in his looks) and the blonde wild child from Over the Edge.
    Exactly the same two kids I had in mind, especially the one from Over the Edge.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

I'm predicting this won't lose much audience during the second and third weeks. It may even gain. My 15-year-old daughter and her friends had not heard of it. She enjoyed it so much that she's dragging all of them to it on Saturday.

She is in a group of kids who spend weekends making movies for youtube.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    Exactly the same two kids I had in mind, especially the one from Over the Edge.
    Right. And I think the blonde kid in OtR also carried around an arsenal of firecrackers.

I had friends in the 80s with that same type of personality.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6