Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Match Cut Mix Tape Vol 9 - Shake Your Booty 2

Yeah, I think that's just a different version of "Cantamilla" than I am used to. This is the one I am familiar with. Sorry for the confusion.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Yeah, I think that's just a different version of "Cantamilla" than I am used to. This is the one I am familiar with. Sorry for the confusion.
    Wow, yeah, totally different song. Zoinks. They must have remixed it for that Rebirth of Cool compilation, cuz the version on the album from which I grabbed it, Transmissions From Heaven, is totally different.

I'm not surprised that you're confused - they didn't even bother to say it's a remix on the Rebirth of Cool album.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

The album I have is this one.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

So... thoughts on the songs, anyone?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

My intitial reaction was that it wasn't quite as strong as the first mix. However, I think that's more a problem with the material, not the mix; just not enough booty-shaking. I'll have to give it a couple more listens before I can comment on individual tracks more. If you ever do another one, I'm going to submit something other than electronica.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    My intitial reaction was that it wasn't quite as strong as the first mix. However, I think that's more a problem with the material, not the mix; just not enough booty-shaking. I'll have to give it a couple more listens before I can comment on individual tracks more. If you ever do another one, I'm going to submit something other than electronica.
    I agree entirely. Not many of the songs are actually all that good for dancing. It's quite intriguing that given the task to make a dance mixtape, so many of us here automatically go for mid-groove electronica.

That's why I appreciated the Rage and The Coup, both songs I already new and loved.

Not many of the individual songs stand out to me at all, to tell the truth, but the mixing is awesome, of course.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I only liked maybe 20% of the songs. And only like half of that were things I hadn't heard before. *shrug*

Hrm. Perhaps for SYB3 I'll enforce a "no electronica" rule and see what people are able to come up with.

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume everyone hated "Daisy"? :P
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It's quite intriguing that given the task to make a dance mixtape, so many of us here automatically go for mid-groove electronica.
    Because we're white and we dance like this.

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    I'm just gonna go ahead and assume everyone hated "Daisy"? :P
    It's definitely not something I'd normally listen to. Maybe I just can't appreciate it.

I've found myself repeating the first half of the mix much more than the second half, and not just because it's easier.

Where did that remix of "Skankenstein" come from? I looked for the song on YouTube, and the original version sounds nothing like this.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    Where did that remix of "Skankenstein" come from? I looked for the song on YouTube, and the original version sounds nothing like this.
    Listening to this now. Hmm yeah that's not the Kora version of the song. Someone turned it into an electronic thing. I don't like it, personally. No worries, bac0n. You can hardly be expected to know what an obscure New Zealand band sound like.

This is the original, well a video edit of it anyway. More booty shaking IMO.

[youtube]-MDXb51Owaw[/youtube]

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    It's definitely not something I'd normally listen to. Maybe I just can't appreciate it.

I've found myself repeating the first half of the mix much more than the second half, and not just because it's easier.

I pulled it off of Amazon Mp3 download, actually. It's the only version of the song I was able to find

And I agree, the version of the song in that video is much better than the version I downloaded.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Link broken/dead
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Give me a few days to find some way to get it back online.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234