Thread: Your home theater setup (pictures if possible).

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    My basement is currently being remodeled, so the projector and screen aren't set up right now. As soon as it's done, I'll post some pictures. The screen is 100'', and the projector is pretty nice. It's an older one, and only goes up to 1080i, without HDMI, but I really like the picture. It just looks more movie-like - I like something to enhance the qualities of film, and so it really feels like I'm watching a movie. Movies on my HDTV just look too crystal clear, although not nearly as bad as those on a 120hz TV.

I've long thought about going the projector route when I move out (which - fingers crossed - could be sooner than I imagined a month or two ago!).

Is there still the problem of bulbs dying, and needing to spend several hundred dollars repairing/replacing them? My uncle has a projector, and when one of his bulbs died a few years back, it cost him $750 to get a new one. Admittedly it's an ancient projector, but still...
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I've long thought about going the projector route when I move out (which - fingers crossed - could be sooner than I imagined a month or two ago!).

Is there still the problem of bulbs dying, and needing to spend several hundred dollars repairing/replacing them? My uncle has a projector, and when one of his bulbs died a few years back, it cost him $750 to get a new one. Admittedly it's an ancient projector, but still...

They cost about $250-300 for my projector. I've had to change one once, but it was because the projector had a problem and short-circuited. It was out of warranty, but I insisted that Panasonic pay half because the bulb had more than 1/2 it's life left. They did. I haven't turned the projector on in over a year because the basement has been in various stages of completion ever since.

I would imagine that newer projectors have less expensive bulbs. Also, the price of projectors has come down a lot. When I got mine, there weren't very many people using them for home use. People at Circuit City thought I was crazy! However, now I see projectors and screens everywhere.

I remember in grade 9 a bunch of my friends smoked pot for the first time and watched House of 1,000 Corpses projected onto the side of a barn.

A couple of them freaked right out.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."