Thread: Short Cuts: a Match Cut Collection of Great Scenes

Short Cuts: a Match Cut Collection of Great Scenes

Hi. I hope this to be a running thread where we all drop in every now and then and present a particular scene that has stood out for us, a standalone section of exquisite cinematic brilliance. I don't really want it to devolve into just a series of lists ("Top 10 Scenes Containing Hairdriers!"), but rather for it to be a collection of mini-explorations from each of us into what stokes our fire.

I'll go first.

"And then you just took it, without waiting for an answer..."

Movie: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Scene Description
    : Near the end of his procedure, Joel is back at his earliest memory of Clementine, the day they met at the beach. They head off to a beach house......

Commentary: So many scenes to choose from in this exquisite movie, but in many ways this is the crystallization of everything it stands for: the tenuous balance between reality and wish fulfillment in our memory; our constant battle between our desires and our insecurities (and how hard it can be sometimes to address either of them); whether it is necessary to tolerate pain in order to appreciate and cherish the beauty....

The effectiveness of the scene is the way it flits between Joel explicitly remembering the meeting (via voice over and direct narration from within the scene itself) and the actual events of the day. It creates great ambiguity - is Joel acting nervous with Clementine because that's just the type of guy he is, or because he has knowledge of what is to come, or because he doesn't know what is to come, but just expects it to come off the rails no matter who the girl is next to him? Gondry keeps the couple separated in the frame with the railing. How is he supposed to know either?

Clem cuts through all that with her "This is it, Joel", and Joel finally makes a choice and we go wheeling away with the doomed relationship in its fledgling state. At the beach house, where silver and black predominate, Clem's orange parka provides a beacon. "So go" echoes out, the house being reclaimed by nature. I especially love how Joel seems to be ready to break into one of those stereotypical monologues.....

Clem: I wish you'd stayed.
    Joel: I wish I'd stayed too. Now I wish I'd stayed. I wish I'd done a lot of things. I wish I had...

Here you're expecting a lengthy recap of all his mistakes and flaws, a neat little package wrapping the movie up. But...

Clem: I wish you'd stayed.
    Joel: I wish I'd stayed too. Now I wish I'd stayed. I wish I'd done a lot of things. I wish I had....I wish I'd stayed. I do.

It comes out as simple and honest, the regret of a simple action not taken, a simple desire not explored. Jim Carrey is simply exceptional here (and throughout the film; if I were to nominate five performances for best of the decade, his would be on there), perfectly encapsulating the creeping sadness that lingers after the anger has worn off.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Yeah, that's where I got the idea. But I'd prefer to read ours
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Punch-Drunk Love

I just wanted you to know... wherever you're going or whatever you're doing right now... I want you to know that I wanted to kiss you just then

Terminally put-upon Barry Egan has just gotten off a date with dream girl Lena Leonard. She's clearly into him, but the night was awkward, he weirded her out a bit and the date ultimately ended with an impotent and lame "And, bye bye" in her apartment. So he goes to leave her building and he's killing himself like always and then something happens which totally changes Barry's life and the course of the movie. This angelic creature from outer space who crash-landed along with a harmonium at the beginning of the film calls Barry from the heavens before he walks out the door and tells him she wanted to kiss him just then. So here we go

He makes a dash for Lena's apartment. Jon Brion's thudding and crazily whizzing industrial score, which has been pounding through Barry's head his whole life, turns to a sweeping romantic melody that will crescendo beautifully right at the moment of lip-to-lip impact, but first Barry has to earn it. We realize at a certain point he's just running in circles through the white-washed halls of her building. The color white has always been cruel to Barry. Whenever he is most trapped or miserable or defeated, he is surrounded by white. This time's different, though, because this time he has a love in his heart that makes him stronger than you can ever imagine. He still has to beat the hallway, though

The signs telling which rooms go where are lying. He runs up stairs and down stairs. Barry bursts through a door and finds himself on the street. He follows the exit signs. He kicks open another door. We hear the music start to swell and there it is. He's found her

The kiss lasts about nine or ten seconds and it's exhausting. Barry puts everything he has into it and when it's over, he collapses into Lena's arms. He cries and he pours out everything he feels and then he lets her take over

"Have a good trip"

"Thank you"

[youtube]Vec3u3ZEd_U[/youtube]

You beat me to it tranny. I was going to do a list of masterful scenes from otherwise mediocre movies.

Ah well, I'll post them here.

What is the youtube attachment link?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

"I may live badly, but at least I don't have to work to do it." - from Slacker

http://bit.ly/bJBhbj
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    You beat me to it tranny. I was going to do a list of masterful scenes from otherwise mediocre movies.

Ah well, I'll post them here.

What is the youtube attachment link?
    Sorry about that! Perhaps you could just do your own thread (especially if you have put a lot of work into it already) and I'll link to it in the first post or something?
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

The auto accident(s) from Trafic. http://bit.ly/9r4D7c
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

I don't think I've watched any scene as many times as this one from Gimme Shelter. I wonder what became of that guy freaking out in the background.

http://bit.ly/9bp9jY
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Something strange happens after she bites down into the apple: her mind drifts, the strength inside her body fades. It is a dream she is slipping into, or something more? From a fairy-tale forest to a fairy-tale ball, she arrives with less knowledge than she would like. Instinct seems to speak to her: this is where you are meant to be child, this is the jewel of life itself.

But a sudden, nagging feeling emerges. Does the world end here? Who are these people? Is there meaning beyond the laughter, the seemingly unending joy? How can a thing be at one grotesque and beautiful?

"Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    I don't think I've watched any scene as many times as this one from Gimme Shelter. I wonder what became of that guy freaking out in the background.

http://bit.ly/9bp9jY
    The film's closing montage of shots is also specially remarkable.

This was a list in progress, but here were some average or not good movies that had some masterful scenes:

BIRTH -- opening scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hFO9sA7LsA -- opening
    Composed of just two shots, tracking the husband that may or may not eventually be reincarnated into a young boy, was a perfect way to start up the movie. Add the wonderful music by Desplat, and I thought I was in for something incredible. Outside of the opera scene with Kidman, and a few small moments, the movie was pretty lackluster.

Bad Boys 2 -- car chase scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDvk1...eature=related
    Transformers may be garbage, and this movie is way too long for its own good, but I can't help but be amazed by this car chase scene. Bay can do action, but generally has awful sequences due to his hyperactive editing creating a confusing geography. Here, it's simple. One car is being chased after by Haitians who are being followed by Smith/Lawrence. The Haitians just happen to have more weapons at their disposal, and those are vehicles.
    Michael Bay even repeats this same exact sequence in The Island.

Lady From Shanghai -- Hall of Mirrors
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v8tl6yRKn0
    Duh. I can't really tell you much about the rest of the movie, but this final scene makes me think this movie is better than it probably is as a whole. It's one of the finest sequences period, and I have no idea how they put it together. With CGI today, I still don't think many filmmakers would have a vision that Welles had.

Bamboozled -- Post Pilot Celebration
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sUoe...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXTxv...eature=related
    The post pilot celebration at a bar needs to be accompanied by the pilot show. While the Pilot shocks its audience, but eventually turns them into fans, we see a comedian getting raved about for the same exact technique that the pilot uses. Shock value. The movie bottoms out after this scene, which is a disappointment, because it's one quite a roll until here.

Exorcist III -- The Best Jump Scare Ever?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY
    Seen just as a one-shot is almost scary on its own. Imagine watching the movie as a whole, a buildup of scenes, not even knowing that a jump scare is on its way? Pretty terrifying.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Banned
    Punch-Drunk Love was the first movie I thought of when I came into this thread. Barry smashing the glass windows at the dinner party might be the centerpiece, but the movie as a whole is the best depiction of agoraphobia I've seen on film.

"I like to picture Jesus as a ninja, fighting off evil samurai..."

Movie: Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Scene Description: Family of titular character gather around for good old traditional home cooking.

Commentary: It's tough posting a clip you find hilarious, because comedy is such an idiosyncratic thing; I fully except many to view this and think its leaden and unfunny. And fair enough too; it's not particularly well-shot or intricate in its gameplan But I love it. It perfectly captures a type of comedy that is tough to do well, but when it succeeds, it is as inspired as any enticing mise-en-scene composition - the non-sequitur storm.

It's mostly delivery, the way the actors sell it, the way they words that come flowing uncensored from their brand-addled consumer brains and weave a magical reflection of Western culture on steroids, the way we often value being decisive over being right. Might makes right, after all.

The discussion over baby Jesus is nonsensical, becoming increasingly bizarre and detailed, and gaining in hilarity. The threats beautifully rendered via the random-image-generator mind of a child ("I'll come at you like a spider monkey!").

It's glorious.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I've decided to not heed the "great scenes" part of the title and discuss scenes that don't work at all as well...for example:

"Are you a hunter?" CUE MEANINGFUL CLOSE UP (!) "Yeah"

Movie: The Lovely Bones

Scene Description: Susie Salmon's father (Mark Wahlberg) notices a dead rosebush in the yard of [
    ]. Said man is disturbed by the shadow of a girl riding a bike on a concrete wall, so he drops a bundle of sticks, causing the father to go all wide-eyed and needlessly suspicious and zombie-like and....

Commentary: ....let's just stop there, shall we, because the description of the scene itself naturally leads into the fact that this is hands down the single worst scene Jackson has ever directed and will ever direct (fingers crossed) in his entire career, and abysmally conceived and executed MOMENT OF DRAMA (!), where the reveal of key information that we as the audience have known right from the beginning (I didn't really need to spoiler tag info above) to one of the main characters is done via a friggin rosebush, EIGHT flashbacks to a overlit pasty TIME OF INNOCENCE AND HAPPINESS (!!!), the main object of scrutiny looking and acting like a completely psychotic murderer right from the first frame of the movie right up to this point where the two men bond over the building of a rudimentary backyard shelter out of sticks (WTF), several close ups and absolutely no concrete evidence of any kind.

Apparently, it's supposed to make sense because Susie in her afterlife has found a safe with a rose in it, and thus her father starts to become aware of the SIGNIFICANCE (!) of the ROSES (!). The best part is when they are building the blind, and the simple fact that the two men once also stood opposite a ROSE BUSH (!) back when the daughter was alive generates another flashback and then in the present day scene, the sun clouds over immediately, to save Wahlberg from having to act at all. Also, it'll surprise no-one to know that the dialogue in the flashbacks are stereotypically echoey and FROM THE PAST (!) to underline the fact that, yes, this is a flashback and a TIME OF INNOCENCE AND HAPPINESS (!!!). Then present day Wahlberg looks back over his shoulder at the road, causing present day Tucci to look like he's just been caught screwing a sheep or something, even though the other person has done nothing but LOOK BACK OVER HIS SHOULDER AT THE ROAD....then suddenly he looks psychotic again as he ties up some sticks on the shelter and we are treated to a slow motion close up of the VIOLENT KNOT TYING, and then a couple of closeups, one where Wahlberg appears to be trying to rip a hole in time and space with his STARE (!), before Tucci scampers back into the house and Wahlberg follows him, shouting accusations and banging on the door creating cracks just like in a zombie movie, or when Jaws was hitting the side of the boat.

I recommend everyone here to watch The Lovely Bones, to see how a talented film-maker can completely lose sight of what makes genuinely gripping drama. And there are a couple of other awesome examples of scenes where logic and rhythm are sacrificed for DRAMA, noteably when Tucci and a random swarthy guy spend about ten minutes rolling a heavy safe from the back of his car to a hole in the ground when he could have BACKED HIS CAR TO THE EDGE and literally did it in 20 seconds (!!!!!!!!). Jackson, wanting to stretch out the tension of the scene, forgets to provide any earthly reason why two men with no mental incapacity of any kind, would park a car so far from the destination and then proceed to struggle to get something REALLY HEAVY to that destination. He is so wrapped up in the feelings he is trying to generate that he forgets to make the story somewhat palusible and the whole thing deflates into a parody of TENSION (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!)
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I want more from trans. That was great.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I've decided to not heed the "great scenes" part of the title and discuss scenes that don't work at all as well...for example:
    A great scene from an otherwise just serviceable film:

Papa Doc's introduction in 8 Mile:

[youtube]hmbzahe4e-Q[/youtube]

Your lyrics are shit,
    like when I cop a squat,
    who told you you can fuck
    with the mighty Papa Doc?
    For steppin' on this stage,
    I shoulda rocked your knot,
    don't get too close,
    or you might get shot!

Right at this point you know it's game over for whoever's up against Papa Doc. This is the first rap battle of many in the film, and the only thing you see of him is a mouth and a mic- and his eyes popping into the frame with his bouncing, black eyes, soulless eyes, like a doll's eyes. Maybe the Jaws comparison is exaggerated, but this brief shot succeeds at setting up Papa Doc as an inhuman opponent, somewhat of an abstract concept. Of course, that's a problematic, simplistic separation between good and evil that reflects the whole film's shallow worldview, but it's so damn cinematic that I almost don't care. It's exactly at the "you might get shot" quip that Hanson finally pans away from the uncomfortable, spittle-flying close-up of Papa Doc's mouth and reveals his opponent, looking exactly as vulnerable and defeated as you'd imagine he would be.

Regrettably, he fouls it up by revealing Papa Doc full-body right in the next shot; a more patient reveal at the end of the sequence ("Make your mom wish/that her fat ass aborted aborted you!" Pan up from his mouth to his eyes- brutal) would have been even more effective; still, by itself, this single 13-second shot is an example of form working with the content to a really powerful effect.

This was/is a great thread. I'll contribute soon.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    This was/is a great thread. I'll contribute soon.
    I forgot about this. I agree, I think it's a great idea, but just didn't catch on I guess.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

[youtube]i_9Vlh1OtB8[/youtube]

Movie: Something Wild

I was gonna create a thread in honor of what this scene (and film... and Demme's filmography, really) does best; ie, uses pop music as a driving force of character/narrative, but I got lazy. In this case, it's a live performance by 80's post-punk heroes The Feelies, showcasing not only Demme's eternally hip music taste, but more importantly his ability to cannily wed it to images and stories. Something Wild is characterised by its hothouse/whirlygig atmosphere, and the sense that the film could spin out into any unforeseen tangent or tone at any moment. Which is not a terribly interesting sensibility in and of itself - it's the sense that Demme and his cast are as involved in the dizzying freefall that gives it propulsion.

"Crazy Rhythms" is the song that The Feelies begin (what we see of) their set in the scene above; the title and restless, frantic pace of the song being an effectively blatant encapsulation of what Demme's going for. Charlie (Jeff Daniels) is at the bar, turning down the advances of an old flame, before going back to hit the dancefloor with his crazy-hot new girl (Melanie Griffiths), who together pose as a married couple. The high school reunion is the ultimate stage for their act at this point, though their dance - set to The Feelies' angularly funky take on Bowie's "Fame" - is ironically the most primal and uninhibited we've seen both of them yet (an earlier sex scene has Griffiths as the dominatrix).

The film thrives on contradictions of this sort, and it's what makes this dance scene such a giddy turning point in the film (and with Daniels cribbing moves from a black couple nearby, it's also a mini history of rock'n'roll). The primal quality continues as the woman who Daniels turns down early in the scene appears with Ray Liotta, playing Griffiths' ex-con/husband; both couples occupy each half of the frame briefly, with the light blues and white of Daniels' and Griffiths' respective attire offset by the threatening mutual blacks of Liotta and his gal. And The Feelies begin the creepy, coiled-snake intro of "Loveless Love" in anticipation of the havoc to come...

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

Exorcist III -- The Best Jump Scare Ever?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY
    Seen just as a one-shot is almost scary on its own. Imagine watching the movie as a whole, a buildup of scenes, not even knowing that a jump scare is on its way? Pretty terrifying.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

"Fuck truffles"

Movie: Chaw

Scene Description: I described this in the FDT, but wanted to just repost it here as it is a prime example of one of times a scene stands out for better or ill in an otherwise disposable film.

It happens relatively early in, when the killer pig terrorising a small town has been introduced, but the town people don't yet know about it. In other words, the film is in the typical process of collecting scenes of random characters being killed to establish the danger for the characters we are actually supposed to care about later on.

It starts with a young high school girl knocking on the door of her grandfather's house. He's not there, so she gets on her bike and starts to cycle home.

As she cycles down the dirt path flanked by fields of thick, lush long grass, something happens to make her fall off her bike down a bank into the field.

We see the POV of the killer pig (snore!) as it moves through the grass, slowly at first. The girl gets up, dazed but relatively unhurt. She starts to climb up the bank. The POV of the pig gets faster as it targets its prey. The girl is near the top of the bank, near the road.

It's an innocent young girl, an unknown danger rapidly approaching. A movie staple that has frankly been run into the ground. But this is a Korean movie, and they don't go for the expected:

She makes it to the top of the bank, to the side of the road. The music cues and camerawork tends to suggest that this means safety.

She stands up and is immediately poughed into by a pick up truck, driving down the road. She sails through the air and lands in the middle of the road. Inside are two men, both drunk, on their way home.

They get out and look at the girl. She is in a terrible way, but still alive. They walk over to her. Now we expect them to maybe become victims themselves.

But no. They decide that they can't afford to get in trouble, so they pick up the (young teenage still living) girl and throw her off the bank back into the grass. They then get back into their truck and drive off.

The girl lies in the grass. Bloody but alive. POV shot of the pig. The girl is eaten alive.

We never see the two men in the truck ever again.

End scene.

Commentary: The perfect example of the Korean penchant to throw everything AND the kitchen sink into their genre pastiches, making a moral muddle of something that would be clean and simple in an American version. In a way in honours the messiness of existence and the supreme indifference many people have for strangers - but it also just makes you go WTF?
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64