Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Writers' Thread

The Writers' Thread

Today begins National Novel Writing Month. The novel has to have 50,000 words to qualify, which means I have to write 1,667 words a day to keep up. I'm currently on schedule, with 1,825 words of my novel about incest and murder in suburban America. Will I be able to keep it up? Time will tell. But hopefully, I will be able to avoid using cliches like that.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I really need to start writing again. It's been a long time, and I have no excuses. I always feel guilty when I think about how much time has passed, and what I could have accomplished by now.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    i'm always interested in the national novel writing thingy. i just can't find a good opportunity to do it.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    I'm currently working on a chapter of text for my teaching of writing class (our professor wants us to be writers if we are to teach writing) so between that and my college essays/reading and working as a sub I don't have much time for this. Alas.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

I've started two aimless possibilities for NaNoWriMo this year. I'm going to just keep writing, even if it sucks hard and is nonsense. I will finish. Perhaps this will help me excise some of my anti-narrative-writing demons. Ultimately, I do prefer writing screenplays, but if I force myself to do this much, I might come around to my narrative style.

Four days in and I'm actually on schedule (6,962 words). I can hardly believe it.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I'm only about 2500 words in, but it is actually still making sense. Still, I'll have to speed up eventually, and it'll all go to pot.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

i suck at writing. i can't come up with plots or stories. whenever i try to right something i end up writing nihilistic rants that grow tiresome after a few pages.

funny the writers choose to strike during writing month.

I hope everyone can disregard the writing I posted last night and then promptly took down.

On another read, it was horrendous.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I hope everyone can disregard the writing I posted last night and then promptly took down.

Damn. I missed it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Oops, I already copied and pasted it onto several heavily trafficked creative writing forums coupled with your real name and location. Sorry...was I not supposed to?

Has anyone ever worked as a freelance writer for a newspaper? I just sent my resume because there was an ad in last Sunday's paper, so I'm crossing my fingers. I'm just hoping for a few articles a month, especially since I'm getting a new apartment in a couple weeks.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    Has anyone ever worked as a freelance writer for a newspaper? I just sent my resume because there was an ad in last Sunday's paper, so I'm crossing my fingers. I'm just hoping for a few articles a month, especially since I'm getting a new apartment in a couple weeks.
    A friend of mine worked for one of those weekly free publications. He loved it for the notoriety and the swag, but the pay could have been better.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    already two magazines i freelanced for go out off business, so i guess i'm an unlucky charm.

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    already two magazines i freelanced for go out off business, so i guess i'm an unlucky charm.
    Hey, don't worry about it. My short comic was published and the company promptly folded after I've bragged to people about it. Lesson learned.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Goddam, I was going to give this a try again this year, but I completely forgot!

:frustrated:
    Memories of the Future

"Criticism can be monumentally creative, of course, at times highly artistic, highly personal. But it rarely relates to the work of art being assessed. It is an expression of the critic's own subjectivity." -Joyce Carol Oates, Journals

I am almost done my script for the episode of "Arrested Development" I had to write.

Only about 9 1/2 pages left...

I am constantly astounded by how easy Final Draft makes the process of script writing. I don't have to worry about format at all - it does it all for me as I go along. I can just write and write. It's wonderful.

I am almost done my script for the episode of "Arrested Development" I had to write.

I am constantly astounded by how easy Final Draft makes the process of script writing. I don't have to worry about format at all - it does it all for me as I go along. I can just write and write. It's wonderful.
    Hmm... I'm curious to see how you'll write that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

[QUOTE=megladon8;5822]I am almost done my script for the episode of "Arrested Development" I had to write.

I am constantly astounded by how easy Final Draft makes the process of script writing. I don't have to worry about format at all - it does it all for me as I go along. I can just write and write. It's wonderful.[/QUOTE

i too want to read it.

I'm 60 pages into my script. I think I will finish it by the end of the year.

I'm so tempted to get into the climax which I've been thinking about and thinking about for pretty much the entire year. I think it'll be the best scene I ever wrote. Hopefully the rest comes together. It's my first ensemble-based full-length movie.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'd love to post my "Arrested Development" script, but I am not sure how I could show it to you guys...I would want to post 21 pages of script...

you can just e-mail it to me as an attachment if you want.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    you can just e-mail it to me as an attachment if you want.
    Sure, what's your address?

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    For those who are interested, please read and critique the following piece of writing I'm currently working on:

[
    ]
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

I'd write more if I wasn't on strike.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast