Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas-time is here!!

Christmas-time is here!!

Post your presents and stories!

Merry Christmas, everybody! Or, if you prefer, Happy Holidays!

I won't succumb to your pagan traditions.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I won't succumb to your pagan traditions.
    You get rep anyway! Merry Christmas, ya big lunkhead! :P[/full of good cheer]

Best Boy
    i've opened a few of my presents so far. from people at work i got a $10 Fazoli's gift card and a Batman ornament.

the present i opened from my wife was a 1600 point Xbox live card and a Iorek Pez dispenser.

the present i opened from my mom was a $10 Borders gift card.

all the rest will be opened tomorrow.

We have also opened some presents early due to splitting time between families. Dance Dance Revolution for the Wii has been the big hit so far. Parents also paid for a playwrighting class I'm taking soon to help me get this script finished I've been working on. Family interaction has been enjoyable and pleasant.

I have also received beef sticks from three different people.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I'm in Ohio for the holidays and am posting on my brand-new Dell laptop. Despite it having the icky Word 2007 (and not 2003), it is wonderful. There's something beautiful about not waiting 7 minutes for a laptop to load after you start it...

On Wednesday we'll see what the bff and his wife have gotten me...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    You get rep anyway! Merry Christmas, ya big lunkhead! :P[/full of good cheer]
    How is Christmas time in New York City? I bet it's nothing like SoCal.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

My girlfriend took me to a performance of Handel's Messiah, played on traditional Baroque instruments. Got to love that harpsichord.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Tonight I'm watching "24 Hours of A Christmas Story" and going to 11 PM X-Mas eve service for the first time (normally I go to the earlier service). I also got all of the gifts to my family wrapped today as well.

Tomorrow I'm going up to my grandparents to celebrate with my dad's side of the family. After I open up presents from my family of course. Then after that my mom's side of the family will be coming up to my folks' place for a late X-Mas celebration. Good times.

Oh and Merry Christmas everyone! I love the holidays.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

We had a great time with family today and opened all presents. We got lotsa stuff including gift cards to Best Buy and iTunes, lotsa food, clothes, and a big rug.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Holidays to everyone!!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    How is Christmas time in New York City? I bet it's nothing like SoCal.
    Very warm and rainy.

:|

Supposedly, January and February are the big snowstorm months.

It's X-mas day here; at my aunt's house celebrating with family. So far I've received $220 in cash, the Kubrick box set, the Wedding Present's Peel Sessions 6-CD box set, a beach towel, and more to come.

The car I used to drive got me one of those uber-nerd Bladerunner briefcase things with all the cool shit inside!

goddamn, TTs are, like, the best cars ever.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    The car I used to drive got me one of those uber-nerd Bladerunner briefcase things with all the cool shit inside!
    Literally!? Um...can I borrow it?

EDIT: Cash and a Visa "for whatever" gift card today. Most gifts tomorrow should end up being clothes, which is fine since that means less shopping in '08 for me.

This year, I know that I got a Karl Malone jersey from the early 1990s - I know, because I picked it out. Looks badass. It was made by MacGregor Sand-Knit, who made jerseys for the NBA before Champion took over. I may get a few pictures up, once the gift has been officially opened. Other than that, I'm not sure. I imagine I gave a lot more gifts than I will receive, which is fine.

Here's another question: What gifts do you most remember or did enjoy from your childhood?

A Nintendo, of course. It came with a dual game cartridge of Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. I think I also got a Sega 32X as a Christmas gift. I remember I got it specifically for the 32-bit version of NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, and how difficult it was to get the right adapters for my archaic TV, which only had a coaxial input. Also, I got several models of dinosaur fossils that I'd have to put together, piece by piece. Those were fun. I also remember getting a bicycle one year. A Murray one-speed cruiser.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

I received a Garmin GPS for my car. I'm stoked.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Merry Christmas everyone!

We did my wife's parents last night, where I received gift certificates to the movie theater (always great) plus some cash. This morning we opened gifts at our house with the kids. My 2 year old is busy watching his new Max and Ruby DVD, while Dylan is in his room with his new CD player listening to Foo Fighters after we finished a rousing game of Nerf Dart Tag. I received a scarf from my wife (we said we wouldn't buy each other anything other than stocking stuffers) while my wife received an 8gb iPod from me (hey, it fits in a stocking!).

It's been great thus far. This afternoon we'll be going over to my parents house, where a new bike is waiting for Dylan. I can't wait to see his reaction.

Hope everyone's holiday is fantastic!

Wow...similar to last year, we got a box full of DVDs - there's probably 70-80 total.

Among my favorites are the Blade Runner 5-disc briefcase, The Bourne Ultimatum, Ratatouille, and the other two Bond DVD sets.

I also got a huge pillow which is a life-size version of the torso of Superman from the animated series and Justice League cartoons.

"All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    Here's another question: What gifts do you most remember or did enjoy from your childhood?

A Nintendo, of course. It came with a dual game cartridge of Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. I think I also got a Sega 32X as a Christmas gift. I remember I got it specifically for the 32-bit version of NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, and how difficult it was to get the right adapters for my archaic TV, which only had a coaxial input. Also, I got several models of dinosaur fossils that I'd have to put together, piece by piece. Those were fun. I also remember getting a bicycle one year. A Murray one-speed cruiser.
    For me it was Super Nintendo. Nintendo my dad just brought home one day because he thought it looked cool. He soon realized he was old and shouldn't be playing video games, as his kids, who were all of 6 years old, were beating him the day we opened the box.

Best Boy
    more stuff today:

Absolute Watchmen
    Mass Effect (Xbox 360)
    Grendel Archives (graphic novel)
    2 Threadless shirts
    $15 Itunes card
    Travel Scrabble and Yahtzee

We're about to have our traditional Belgian waffles. So far, I've received A Boy Named Charlie Brown on DVD, which is awesome. It seems as though we'll probably all get on well today.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

By the way, when did A Christmas Story become essential American holiday viewing? It's a great film and all, but I swear it's prevelance isn't the oldest of phenomena. It was before TNT started airing it 24 hours, right?

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Literally!? Um...can I borrow it?
    The Bladerunner Nerd Thing or the car I used to drive?

In local news, we're about to head over to my Mom's for Christmas at her place. I prepped my (in)famous Creme Brulee French Toast last night, which I will be taking over there to finish up and serve. I hope it turns out alright, cuz I was pretty wasted last night when I was making it.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    The Bladerunner Nerd Thing or the car I used to drive?
    I wanna borrow the car that gets things for you!

And Merry Christmas everyone!

good haul. i got a couple graphic novels. penguins 10 greatest games dvd set. phish vegas 96 cd. flaming lips ufos at the zoo. my mom gave me a $70 gift card for best buy cause she said they didn't have the kubrick box... i got some clothes, and about $120 in other gift cards and cash. i'm set for boxing day.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast