Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Avatar Sequel Discussion (Cameron)

- - - - -
    I guess he's doing his part for the new bosses?

"Endgame" would need to make ~$3.4 billion to match "Titanic's" box office ...

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I guess he's doing his part for the new bosses?

"Endgame" would need to make ~$3.4 billion to match "Titanic's" box office ...
    Inflation?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Inflation?
    Yeah. The entertainment press loves to hype box office, which I sorta understand but ... this goes way beyond that.

Indiewire has a story about Cameron's tweet and the second sentence is: "The Marvel blockbuster has made $2.3 billion and counting worldwide since opening at the end of April, surpassing Cameron’s 'Titanic' to become the second highest-grossing movie ever released (unadjusted for inflation)."

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/ja...ar-1202132646/

It's like they are willfully ignoring the math to make the story. I don't understand why anyone would do this in the Era of Fake News.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Yeah. The entertainment press loves to hype box office, which I sorta understand but ... this goes way beyond that.

Indiewire has a story about Cameron's tweet and the second sentence is: "The Marvel blockbuster has made $2.3 billion and counting worldwide since opening at the end of April, surpassing Cameron’s 'Titanic' to become the second highest-grossing movie ever released (unadjusted for inflation)."

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/ja...ar-1202132646/

It's like they are willfully ignoring the math to make the story. I don't understand why anyone would do this in the Era of Fake News.
    What would be the point of comparing it with inflation though? It would be nice to know TICKETS SOLD rather than TOTAL GROSS. Does Inflation tell us a better story on how many bodies actually went to the theater?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    What would be the point of comparing it with inflation though? It would be nice to know TICKETS SOLD rather than TOTAL GROSS. Does Inflation tell us a better story on how many bodies actually went to the theater?
    These dudes call themselves "journalists" and yet they're presenting a story that isn't accurate ... and they know it's not accurate. $2 billion in 1997 isn't the same amount of money as $2 billion in 2019. Pretending it is makes readers dumber and less informed.

You're right that tickets-sold would be a more meaningful metric, but then it doesn't lead to endlessly flashy headlines because theatrical attendance has dropped steadily since ~2004.

Well, comparing it without adjusting for inflation is just pointless, right? Like Irish says, it's plainly just lying. The tickets sold count would be awesome but I bet that's impossible to calculate.

I don't want anyone to fail or anything, but Avatar is such a bad movie it's hard to care for no less than THREE SEQUELS.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-09-2019 at 03:47 PM.

- - - - -
    Tix sold isn't impossible. IIRC the studios know the exact numbers because the theaters report it to them. There was a story out of mainland China last year about theater chains goosing their numbers to defraud American studios.

It just doesn't make as good a headline.

Which is the other part of this that smells --- the "press" adopting the language and strategy of corporate marketing and advertising.

Nothing will beat Gone with the Wind in that case.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

[+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

This would be incredible news for someone who cares.

It's amazing how it's always those who don't care who feel the need to say that in public. "No one cared" about the first one either, until the very release date.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

I was just quoting Richard Ayoade, which should be welcomed at all times.

I was talking about literally any time Avatar is mentioned. Like in the linked article comments section.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I was talking about literally any time Avatar is mentioned. Like in the linked article comments section.

Oh you weren't talking about the 4 times Megs mentioned it in this thread?

Really though, what’s there to care about?

No compelling characters, or story.

I guess people really love tech demos.

I am very excited about every single Avatar sequel.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Avatar on D+...maybe I should revisit...

- - - - -
    Oh you weren't talking about the 4 times Megs mentioned it in this thread?
    I mean, that's sorta meg's thing? He's been posting variations of "who cares" and "let me know when this is real" in different threads for awhile. It's inoffensive and kinda funny.

I also think it's a valid post. "Who cares" is on the same wavelength of "this looks stupid" or or "this looks boring" or "this looks like it's gonna bomb" --- they're expressions of apathy.

If we're gonna play board cop, let's not go after meg. Let's go after Morris for being a grown ass man who not only still reads Aint-It-Cool but links to it, too. (ha kidding okay but not really morris get better sources )

Good point. I thought we weren't giving AICN any more support after the whole Harry Knowles thing.

I'm shocked that AICN continues to exist and that it also is fine having the same formatting as it did twenty years ago.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Duke and I are good. We are jerks to each other sometimes but it’s all done in love

And truth be told, if the reviews are positive I may very well check them out. It’s just a universe and story I really don’t care about. Others do, that’s cool.

I'm really curious to see what necessitated Cammy & Co. to make 7 more sequels or whatever, all shot at the same time and released 14 years later, for this setting and group of characters.

I will be stunned if they are interesting at all.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I thought I read somewhere that only 2 of the films are guaranteed to be released. The other two are dependent on the performance of the former two.

I thought I read somewhere that only 2 of the films are guaranteed to be released. The other two are dependent on the performance of the former two.
    But they shot all 4, correct?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast