Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar Sequel Discussion (Cameron)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Avatar Sequel Discussion (Cameron)

**Don't read below if you haven't seen the first movie**

This news that talks about Avatar 2, is a spoiler for the first Avatar....

/.

[
    ]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Well...
    [
    ]
    but maybe it's just me guessing.

I will use my 7,000th post to say that I think Avatar 2 will be mediocre. And of course it'll be in 3D, for maximizing profits effect.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I will use my 7,000th post to say that I think Avatar 2 will be mediocre. And of course it'll be in 3D, for maximizing profits effect.

Oh, shut it already.

I'm sorry ETM, but I still cannot muster any excitement for a sequel. Yes, Pandora is a beguiling place, but part one left me with very little beyond [
    ] Perhaps I expecting something as epic as Avatar, and certainly considering the word "trilogy" has been thrown around, to end in a cliffhangery way, but it feels oh so resolved at this point.

Anything is possible of course, but I will need a bigger plot propellant than merely exploring the planet and discovering its secrets. Earth sending more troops and the whole sheband starting over seems like a big NO NO.

It feels done. Jake will start a new life with Neytiri and the Navi will rebuilt their world.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Star Wars also ended happilly with a full circle, then Empire came and pulled the rug. There are many stories to explore in a sequel actually. I said it on the other thread and will say it again, i want Earth destroying Pandora in the sequel, a dark, dramatic follow up as usual. Subplots could revolve around the surviving Na'vi being castaway on a different planet, in which they must work in order to "reconnect" and of course, plot for revenge in the third movie.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I'd love to see intertribal warfare with all those different groups of N'avi. Weirded me out how the film was about this one group, then, suddenly, there's a bunch of them on the planet who just up and say, "Shucks, we'll help ya!"

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I'd love to see intertribal warfare with all those different groups of N'avi. Weirded me out how the film was about this one group, then, suddenly, there's a bunch of them on the planet who just up and say, "Shucks, we'll help ya!"
    It seemed to me that the Na'vi didn't really care about humans being there until they started destroying stuff. There's some good stuff in the script that would have been cool in the film, like Jake asking Grace about why her school closed, and her answer: "They learned all they needed to know about us and left."
    Also, they (the chief and the shaman) specifically let Jake into their lives to learn about human "warriors" and how to defeat them if it comes to that. Na'vi clans seem to keep to themselves, and have different agendas, and they're spread out across the moon so it's plausible that they only come together in times of need.

I don't think Na'vi wars would make for good sequel material. I think Cameron has something in store that will explore the nature of Pandora and Eywa, and how they relate to Earth. I can't believe how there was no talk at all about the obvious "plot holes" of DNA mixing: Na'vi and human DNA should not be compatible, at all. The fact that they have "DNA" is... ludicrous. What are the odds that the star closest to our Sun has a moon that's so similar to our world, and life that is compatible with ours? I think Pandora did not occur naturally, and that mystery will infuse the continued Na'vi human conflict (because humans will be back in, what, a few years? We know they will) and it should be at least lots of fun.

The sequel starts with a human armada bombing the Na'vi from space and destroying the whole planet, then collecting the Unobtainium from the floating debris.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    The sequel starts with a human armada bombing the Na'vi from space and destroying the whole planet, then collecting the Unobtainium from the floating debris.
    Heh... you can't "collect" it from space. It has to be refined on site, as transporting it as ore is waaay too expensive. Also, the Hell's Gate complex produces fuel for the return trip. The "armada" (which is basically a single near-light speed ship, the Venture Star) wouldn't be able to return home. I mean, dude - Cameron has thought these things out in far more detail than character development.:lol:

So were the Na'vi the first and only sentient alien species we'd made contact with (and by extension Pandora the only other habitable planet with indigenous life)? I don't remember the dialogue at the beginning of the film commenting upon this.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    So were the Na'vi the first and only sentient alien species we'd made contact with (and by extension Pandora the only other habitable planet with indigenous life)? I don't remember the dialogue at the beginning of the film commenting upon this.

I don't think there was really any information one way or the other. They could very well be the only sentient beings we'd discovered by then, but there could be others that just weren't mentioned.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Heh... you can't "collect" it from space. It has to be refined on site, as transporting it as ore is waaay too expensive.
    Yeah, Spun. What you're talking about sounds like some kind of space fantasy.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    The Navi exact revenge and blow up Earth!

or

The Navi make Avatars themselves and go to Earth only to find out that this kid in a trenchcoat is the One. But these Octopus things are trying to eat them in real life so they gotta jump out and fight them...

or

Sigourney's dead but they must use her body to help them sneak into the biggest party of the summer and they pretend she's still alive!

:lol:

I don't know why I even bother.

No no, the sequel should be how years later Jake started missing his old Earth technology and started telling the Na'vi how microwaves are so convenient and shit, and so the Na'vi start a tech boom, right, and eventually in a decade or two they've polluted Pandora and Eywa pitches a fit and all nature dies, so they have to travel to a new planet, but their indigenous warriors fight back against the technologically advanced Na'vi. AND THAT PLANET IS EARTH.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I don't think there was really any information one way or the other. They could very well be the only sentient beings we'd discovered by then, but there could be others that just weren't mentioned.
    Hmmm well if that's the case I feel like that kind of thing makes a pretty big difference and is something Cameron should have figured out and established in the film. First contact is kind of a big thing.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Hmmm well if that's the case I feel like that kind of thing makes a pretty big difference and is something Cameron should have figured out and established in the film. First contact is kind of a big thing.
    Not if they made the first contact decades and decades ago, as I believe is the case in the movie. Jake: "Pandora. You hear about it when you were growing up..."
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Not if they made the first contact decades and decades ago, as I believe is the case in the movie. Jake: "Pandora. You hear about it when you were growing up..."
    Ehh I still think it makes a difference whether they're the only other sentient alien species we know or not. ETM was saying that Cameron has thought these things out. This kind of basic history seems like something that also should have been thought out.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Ehh I still think it makes a difference whether they're the only other sentient alien species we know or not.
    Difference in what?
    Movie Theater Diary

Maybe next time they'll go to the mysteriously named planet, Hades.

Eh, I'm not pumped for a sequel either, especially not by Cameron. I'd prefer he tackles someone new...let someone else do a sequel. I like when he does new stuff.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Ehh I still think it makes a difference whether they're the only other sentient alien species we know or not. ETM was saying that Cameron has thought these things out. This kind of basic history seems like something that also should have been thought out.
    That information had no bearing on the movie so why should it have been established in the film?
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Difference in what?
    The way the entire operation would be set up and the dynamic Pandora has with Earth.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    That information had no bearing on the movie so why should it have been established in the film?
    I think it has a bearing on these characters whether these were the first alien species they've ever seen. In Star Wars it's not surprising to see a new race because you're constantly surrounded by different races. In a world where you've never seen an alien before (even if the human race as a whole had seen them before) it changes the way you act when you finally do see one.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast