Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Twin Peaks

Producer
    I would say it gets good two episodes prior already. At the very least watch the penultimate episode and the finale together.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Can I watch Fire Walk with Me before anything?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Not recommended. It's already weird, but many instances would probably feel like random incoherence without the context of the series.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Isn't it a prequel?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Yeah, but it leans on our series knowledge of the characters and how the supernatural/spiritual stuff works in this world quite a bit. The series gradually lets you in on it, while this one just assumes and charges straight ahead.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Fire Walks w Me is a prequel but it still spoils revelations from the show. It's also not as strong as the show imo.

Alright. I guess I'll get around to watching this. Always wanted to.

So how's the new season?

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    So how's the new season?
    Opinions seem to vary. I think it's wonderful.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal
    It kind of goes downhill around the middle of the second season. But still ... Heather Graham ... The final episode finally finds a way to inject new life into the series, but alas, it was too late to save the show.
    Once they bring on Cooper's nemesis, Windham Earl, it really picks up. The final 7 episodes are pretty damn amazing.
    I just rewatched the series. D_Davis was right. There are really only about 4 truly bad episodes in Season 2, stuck in between the two major story arcs. I think I was overly dismissive way back in 2007.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I really can't agree with that, also having rewatched it about a month ago. I thought season two was less awful than I remembered, but still really quite awful. Windham Earle is a really weak villain. The show's direction mostly goes down the toilet, and the sense of community falls apart as each character grouping gets locked into its own little sinkhole of a plotline with an increasing sense that weird things happen for the sake of weird things happening. The mystery surrounding various elements becomes far too neat as it's revealed, turning what was dark and mysterious into the minutes from a frenzied game of child's make believe in the woods.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I just rewatched the series. D_Davis was right. There are really only about 4 truly bad episodes in Season 2, stuck in between the two major story arcs.
    I just watched the series for the first time, and I agree. Except I think it was more like 6 or 7, and I didn't think they were bad really they just didn't add anything to the main arc, which was confusing. We just wandered around Twin Peaks for a stint. But admittedly, it may have been from impatience while plowing through episode after episode for weeks.

Almost done Season 1, i think i have two episodes left. This is the most bizarre thing I've ever watched.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Almost done Season 1, i think i have two episodes left. This is the most bizarre thing I've ever watched.
    Hah! You have no idea what's coming your way.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Hah! You have no idea what's coming your way.
    The last time someone said this I had just finished Season 1 of Breaking Bad.

So....

Ok so I’m watching this for the first time.

Random query - the town is presented as being a “small town”, everyone knows everyone type of thing.

But...the town sign shows the population being more than 50,000.

That’s...not a small town. Not even close.

Am I missing something?

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    There's no f'n way there's 50000 people in that town, which mostly seems to consist of a Cafe, a Hotel, and the Sheriff's station
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    There's no f'n way there's 50000 people in that town, which mostly seems to consist of a Cafe, a Hotel, and the Sheriff's station
    Seriously.

There’s a small town outside of Ottawa called Carleton Place. It has its own Walmart Super Center, two major supermarkets, a Lowe’s, a Home Depot, a Canadian Tire, multiple fast food restaurants and countless other stores, hotels and eateries.

And their population is, like, 10,000.

There is no effing way that Twin Peaks has a population of 50K.

Is it some inside joke I’m not getting?

Spoke about this with Kurosawa Fan, and he pointed me to an article explaining the reasoning behind it...

TL;DR - studio meddling.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed this immediately

Producer
    It is happening again... or is it?

Maybe unreliable rumor site, but then...

Michael Horse (Deputy Hawk)'s instagram post, and:

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

50k in that town?? No way. That town seemed smaller than mine and thats saying something. I really dug original series. Need to see extra movie.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    The school scenes fit in with a 50K population city. Building size, class size, etc... It's just the way the series was filmed that makes it feel smaller. In FWWM you get a better sense of its actual size.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 10-23-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    This is very good.

‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789