Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    So, how's it going, elixir? Made it to the end of S2 yet? Don't despair through the mid-season period of suckiness. The climax (almost) makes it worth it.
    Oh, I've watched 2.8 and 2.9 and though the storyline was wrapped up quite nicely. I'd probably put this first bit of s2 a bit below the awesomeness of s1, but it's still very good. I'm about to dive into it again and I'll be sure to share my thoughts. Really like Ray Wise now...

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    Really like Ray Wise now...
    You will LOVE the film, Fire Walk With Me then (but don't watch it until you finish the series).

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    You will LOVE the film, Fire Walk With Me then (but don't watch it until you finish the series).
    Really? I've heard quite bad things about the film in comparison to the show, but of course I will wait until I see it to make an actual judgment!

Really? I've heard quite bad things about the film in comparison to the show, but of course I will wait until I see it to make an actual judgment!
    Well, you've probably heard correctly in that, tonally, it's nothing at all like the television series. The humor of the show is not present (with the possible exception of the non-TP material w/Isaak and Sutherland). Most of the supporting characters are not present. However, many feel (as do I) that it's as strong a feature as Lynch has yet produced. It's a lot closer in tone to the final espisode of the series (also directed by Lynch). I certainly didn't feel that way the first time I saw it (I pretty much hated it), but over the years...it's a damn fine piece of celluloid.

Best Boy
    I love the movie.

I'm tackling the filler episodes now. It's pretty rough. I just watched the Diane Keaton episode though--so it's safe to say the worst is now behind me.

I remember when I watched the show the first time and...

[
    ]

just watched 2.10...This Nadine subplot is so damn annoying.

I guess the ending could lead to something interesting? but yeah, this episode is definitely a letdown considering the standards the show has yet. Not exactly awful, but it definitely felt off.

^ Just wait until David Duchovny shows up. Coming very soon.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

fire walk with me is easily my favorite lynch

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    Hahahah that's awesome.

FWWM is awesome. It exaggerates the tone and atmosphere of the television series to an almost absurd level, and contains some of Lynch's most amazing audio work.

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    Yeah, him in drag was an interesting sight. A serious WTF.

Gosh, Nadine. JUST STOP ALREADY.

Hank is terribly annoying. Or is that just me?

Ugh, James.

The best part of the episode was a crushed Benjamin Horne watching a video of him as a kid when his father opened the Great Northern.

Yeah, it's not completely horrible, but gosh, not good right now...

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    But you love it anyway, yeah? That was my experience.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Hank is terribly annoying. Or is that just me?
    Not just you. Leo is also horribly annoying.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

Okay, when the is the show going to get good again???!!?

2.12-2.14

James' storyline is literally the stupidest thing this show has ever done. Yes, even worse than Nadine punching out Hank--didn't think that could be topped, but it was. Really wretched stuff.

The little Nicky stuff is insanely dumb as well.

Ugh, Leo, JUST DIE ALREADY. JUST DIE.

Ben Horne being in this fantasy world of the civil war is at least not boring and sometimes a bit of fun! But...still...

Also, this is NOT the Audrey Horne I know and love. She would not hang around Bobby so much either!

Um, perhaps with Windom Earle showing up, things will get better.

Okay, when the is the show going to get good again???!!?

2.12-2.14

James' storyline is literally the stupidest thing this show has ever done. Yes, even worse than Nadine punching out Hank--didn't think that could be topped, but it was. Really wretched stuff.

The little Nicky stuff is insanely dumb as well.

Ugh, Leo, JUST DIE ALREADY. JUST DIE.

Ben Horne being in this fantasy world of the civil war is at least not boring and sometimes a bit of fun! But...still...

Also, this is NOT the Audrey Horne I know and love. She would not hang around Bobby so much either!

Um, perhaps with Windom Earle showing up, things will get better.
    They do. Slowly but surely. However, I think you still have to weather the whole "Save the pine weasel" fiasco. Once you make it past that low-point, the show starts a steady climb back up to respectablility.

I'm sorry. I tried to warn you. We all think "I'm gonna be the one that really gets this show and I'm gonna love the whole second season!" And then it actually happens and death.

Here is the episode where the show is good again, if you really wanna find out (according to me):
    [
    ]

I'd always thought I'd seen all of the second season but looking at this thread I don't think that's the case.

2.15-2.17

It's getting better, but it still isn't the same as the first season/beginning of second season.

Thankfully, that awful awful awful James storyline is gone. Nadine is still there and annoying.

Pine weasel at the end of the show? Really? Some scenes just feel like a bad sitcom or soap opera, depending on what it is.

It is getting better though, with at least some intriguing developments...

Oh, and wtf with Josie and the drawer nob? Whaaaaa?

2.18-2.20

In the past three episodes, it's gone from okay to good to pretty good, so it's definitely on the rise. Will probably watch the last two episodes and maybe the movie tomorrow.

Windom Earle is just too cheesy (?) and annoying for my liking.

The last few episodes have had truer emotions that have been missing from prior eps, like scenes with Audrey and her dad and between Bobby and Shelly, among others.

Heater Graham is hawt! Seriously, Dale Cooper and Annie would have magnificent babies.

BOB!

Yeah, I am now more invested to see how it ends than I was five episodes ago.

Okay, finished the show.

In one word: FRUSTRATING.

[
    ]

At its highs, the show was magnificently great, but it did have some very bad and length lows. Will probably watch the movie soonish.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I'd always thought I'd seen all of the second season but looking at this thread I don't think that's the case.
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

At the risk of alienating myself, I just never really got into Twin Peaks. Don't get me wrong, I adore Lynch and there are various moments in the series that are permanently etched in my memory banks, but I greatly prefer Lynch when he's being a showman (Mulholland Dr.) or perverted (Eraserhead). TP always felt a little neutered to me. Almost Lynch-lite.

Love that theme song though. I also love that moment when the police chief forces an entire donut in his mouth, and of the course the llama.

Quote Quoting Spaceman Spiff (view post)
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

At the risk of alienating myself, I just never really got into Twin Peaks. Don't get me wrong, I adore Lynch and there are various moments in the series that are permanently etched in my memory banks, but I greatly prefer Lynch when he's being a showman (Mulholland Dr.) or perverted (Eraserhead). TP always felt a little neutered to me. Almost Lynch-lite.

Love that theme song though. I also love that moment when the police chief forces an entire donut in his mouth, and of the course the llama.
    Well, it is network television, and for that--and its time--it's more out there than most (come on, that first dream sequence must have alienated lots of people!). I do agree, I think Mulholland Dr. is better, but I wonder if he would have gone farther if he could have--or if he did exactly what he wanted? He was also part of a team with Mark Frost, and isn't he a more conventional guy?

Anyways, so my idea is that Lynch should do a show on HBO (or Showtime). That would be awesome. And he should make another feature film, as well...

And he should keep releasing singles.

Alberts speech out of nowhere is one of the greatest things Ive ever seen.

Brilliant show. So very smart and filled with satire.

Favorite characters: Audrey Horne (a duh), Bobby Fucking Briggs (I really hope someone out there enjoyed him as much as I did; he is the embodiment of high school age), and the rest (Cooper of course... any character/phantom figure played by Sheryl Lee [I am going to re-watch John Carpenter's Vampires someday and like it a lot more because I know now it's Laura Palmer]... Ben and Jerry Horne... Piper Laurie as Catherine Martel's pretty hilarious..).

Spoilers - would you believe the only thing I didn't like was the resolution to the Laura Palmer mystery? Pretty much attributing it all to the BOB hogwash? Maddy Ferguson's being offered up a quickly forgotten sacrificial lamb? Leland Palmer's rather trite last rites? Windham Earle and the Black Lodge stuff kind of sucked too (until the last episode of course).

Most annoying characters: definitely Leo and his face. I thoroughly enjoyed all of Nadine.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast