Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks

Just finished the series. The last episode is great, but [
    ] :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

I'd like to write a whole lot more about this one, but lemme just say that while it lagged a little after the Palmer stuff wraps up, and I kind of feel that most of the stuff that happens after that, all the lame melodrama and easy storylines that go nowhere, the unexciting plot revelations, the basic transformation into Melrose Place, somehow cheapens all of the horrifying, sad, revelatory, mysterious, haunting stuff surrounding the show and the Palmer situation.

Anyway, the last five episodes or so definitely pick up (starting with the great episode directed by Uli Edel! (followed by a great follow up by Diane Keaton wtf??)), though I found Windom Earl's character to be frustratingly cheesy and inconsistent. He's supposed to be a mad genius, but he's just a giggly psychopath who'd totally steal candy from a baby. Where's the smarts?

Oh, and I was very sad at the final episode's [
    ], though the punchline was hysterical.

Fun stuff! More later, I'm sure. Any thoughts or comments?

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:
    This pretty much says it all.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

[
    ]
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    [
    ]
    Refresh my memory??

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Refresh my memory??
    [
    ]

Ahh, you gotta love all this anger and frustration towards towards the show.

Also, I'll be sure to check out Melrose Place since iosos has clearly spent a lot of time watching it and thus, I assume, holds it in high regard.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    The low point of the series for me is that awful storyline involving James "running away" (down the street) and getting involved with that totally random case of domestic abuse. Blech.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    The low point of the series for me is that awful storyline involving James "running away" (down the street) and getting involved with that totally random case of domestic abuse. Blech.
    Yeah, everyone I know would agree with you there. The second season is very good for the first third (up until the "resolution") and then loses direction until about the last third of the series (when Earle appears) with the final episode being the greatest thing I've ever seen on TV. The Keaton directed episode was the nadir of the show.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    The Keaton directed episode was the nadir of the show.
    What?! Madness! Hers was pretty good. If I'm remembering right, it's the one right after we Leo stumbles into Earl's cabin, which was Uli Edel's episode, which was the first good one after, like, 6 or 7 awful ones. Even if you didn't like her direction (which was fun), by virtue that anything interesting happened in that episode at all makes it not the nadir. Plus, I thought you said that it picked up with the introduction of Earl, which is, like, her episode.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Ahh, you gotta love all this anger and frustration towards towards the show.

Also, I'll be sure to check out Melrose Place since iosos has clearly spent a lot of time watching it and thus, I assume, holds it in high regard.
    You, sir, are a son of a bitch.

In truth, I did watch the first few seasons of Melrose Place when it was on when I was in elementary school. My mom watched it. What was I to do?

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    Yeah, so I've heard. From what I understand, Lynch didn't even really want the show to go on as long as it did, and he wanted to leave it very open and unresolved.
    actually lynch wanted the show to go on much longer than it did. but he didn't want laura palmer's murder resolved until the last episode. nbc more or less forced him to solve it sooner, and killed the show.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    nbc more or less forced him to solve it sooner, and killed the show.
    abc

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    actually lynch wanted the show to go on much longer than it did. but he didn't want laura palmer's murder resolved until the last episode. nbc more or less forced him to solve it sooner, and killed the show.
    Hmm. I thought Lynch didn't want the story ever resolved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks

In the featurette "A Slice of David Lynch", included with the 2007 "Gold Box Edition" DVD release of the complete series, Lynch expressed his regret at having resolved the Laura Palmer murder, stating he and Frost had never intended for the series to answer the question and that doing so "killed the goose that laid the golden eggs". Lynch directly blames network pressure for the decision to resolve the Palmer storyline prematurely.
    I haven't purchased the Gold Box Edition DVD set, but I believe it.

So I just started the series (on episode 6 so far) and am loving it.

Gushing Prayer Kurious Jorge v3.1's Avatar
    I'm showing the series to my friend (not a big Lynch fan) and we knocked out the Pilot-Episode 5 in one night, and you can't iamgine the thrill of watching the series again and watching a Lynch hater come around as well (he's blown away!)

Arrebato (Zulueta - '80) 89
    Elegia (Huszarik - '65) 95
    Szinbad (Huszarik - '71) 77
    Temptation of St. Tony (Ounpuu - '09) 80
    Marguriete of the Night (Autant-Lara - '55)62
    Kadin Hamlet (Erksan - '77) 52
    Passion of a Darkly Noon (Ridley - '94) 79
    Endangered Species (Rudolph - '82) 65
    Made in Heaven (Rudolph -'87) 20
    High Hopes (Leigh - '88) 74

[/COLOR]

Is it strange that I'm mad at Bobby for trying to get with Audrey? Audrey's way too good for that little dildo.

And other than the James going down the road stuff, I've loved everything about the show so far (although the Nadine in high school parts do drag a bit).

Gushing Prayer Kurious Jorge v3.1's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    And other than the James going down the road stuff, I've loved everything about the show so far (although the Nadine in high school parts do drag a bit).
    aahh, brooding James and his gourd-shaped head.

Arrebato (Zulueta - '80) 89
    Elegia (Huszarik - '65) 95
    Szinbad (Huszarik - '71) 77
    Temptation of St. Tony (Ounpuu - '09) 80
    Marguriete of the Night (Autant-Lara - '55)62
    Kadin Hamlet (Erksan - '77) 52
    Passion of a Darkly Noon (Ridley - '94) 79
    Endangered Species (Rudolph - '82) 65
    Made in Heaven (Rudolph -'87) 20
    High Hopes (Leigh - '88) 74

[/COLOR]

Also, wtf, Josie in a bedside table?

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    (although the Nadine in high school parts do drag a bit).
    This is, by far, my least favorite thing about Twin Peaks. I can't stand this sub-plot. It is stupid and annoying.

I wish there was more.

I plowed through the first 17ish episodes of this series in about 2 or 3 weeks. Then it took me nearly 3 months to watch the remaining 12. After the first arc, the quality of the show drops off completely. The show's direction and cinematography fee like they're straight up out of something else immediately after. The show drastically changes nearly every character and throw a bunch of shit at the wall and unfortunately left it all up for a long time. Too much zaniness, not enough... oddness. (That sentiment could be phrased better.) The last 3 episodes or so get a little more interesting and confident, especially when Lynch himself is behind the camera. Still, at that point, I had been basically drained of my interest in and engagement with the characters, and the last plot twist before the show ends forever gets more of a "huh" from me than anything else.

First 17 episodes are pretty damn good though.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I always had a soft spot for Ben Horne's recreating the Civil War in miniature.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I won't check before this post in case there are spoilers.

I just watched the pilot, and it's very good so far, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to LOVE this show.

Dale Cooper is a great character. Love him already.

The mystery is already fascinating to me.

Amazing use of music...on TV shows, I never really think about the music, but here it really hit me.

I can't wait to watch more!!! I'll give more in-depth thoughts then...

I don't think "very good" cuts it. Might be the best pilot I've seen. Really fantastic stuff.

Why haven't I watched this earlier!?

Best Boy
    Nice. Looking forward to it. I'm in the midst of rewatching the whole show (for the 2nd time in total) and it's truly a killer show. As good as the pilot is - episode 2.1 might be better. Maybe the finale as well.

This is not really a spoiler but you probably shouldn't look.

[
    ]

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast