Watching through the series with Ms. Iosos here. It's pretty fabulous. I'd seen the first season already, and I'm definitely wondering, after watching 2.1 last night, how things are gonna pan out.

I have reached a realization that when it all comes down to the wire, I'm actually quite uninterested in the intrigue of the plot. All that backstabbing, sleeping around, sleuthing, unethical business practicing, whoring, dope-pushing, in-league-with-criminals stuff. I don't really care how the story ends. It's all (intentional) overwrought tawdry melodrama--liken it to the soap opera that the characters watch, Invitation to Love. What IS fascinating is the psychology of the show. Not the what, but the how and why. The surreal moments, wild character motivations and actions, and frequently interesting direction, not to mention the lovely soundtrack, are what elevate this unremarkable narrative into genius-territory. Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Dale Cooper is one of the most darling and interesting characters I've ever seen.

And Ray Wise is so great as Leland.

Anyway, I think that episode 2.1 is one of Lynch's finest creations, kind of tucked away in there, but keep an eye out for it. It has so many dazzling scenes (Bobby and his dad at the diner, Bobby and Shelley in the hospital, Cooper and his Giant, Andy getting hit in the head with a board, Donna's transformation into femme fatale, Madeleine's vision in the carpet, Leland singing that "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy" while the Horne brothers shuffle... so many more!) and its ambience - its weirdness - is classic Lynch, which is never less than entertaining when transplanted in Small Townsville.

Pick up the box set at your local retailer today!