Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks

I just finished this show. I shouldn't have watched the last episode at 11:30 at night. Laura Palmer's screams will haunt me forever.

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    I just finished this show. I shouldn't have watched the last episode at 11:30 at night. Laura Palmer's screams will haunt me forever.
    IMO, the finale is unquestionably the highlight of Lynch's TV work. Plus, the tone is much darker than the series in general, and is actually a lot closer to FWWM. However, it's a real slog just getting through the second half of Season 2, so I guess the finale can be viewed as a well-earned reward for perseverance.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

I wish they had done the finale episode earlier, because I think...

[
    ]...presented a lot of interesting story possibilities, instead of what we got: all the amnesia and coma stories and the Miss Twin Peaks contest.

I loved the first season, but I'm stuck two episodes into the second season. I feel strangely as though I've already seen the best of the series; this makes me want to return to the show.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Yeah, somewhere in the middle of the second season I started wondering if I should stop watching... but the finale is very much worth it.

EDIT: If you are only two episodes in, though, YOU HAVE to keep watching. You still haven't seen The Best Episode of Anything in the Entire History of Television.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    EDIT: If you are only two epiodes in, though, YOU HAVE to keep watching. You still haven't seen The Best Episode of Anything in the Entire History of Television.
    Which episode is this?
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

Quote Quoting chrisnu (view post)
    Which episode is this?
    [
    ]

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    I wish they had done the finale episode earlier, because I think...

[
    ]...presented a lot of interesting story possibilities, instead of what we got: all the amnesia and coma stories and the Miss Twin Peaks contest.
    Totally agree.

I started watching the show on Instant Viewing tonight. The first episode has me hooked, I'm going to view the second episode and stop there for now until I start up again later after work. Agent Cooper's eccentricities are endearing, and Truman is a good sidekick/sheriff. I'm not sure how I feel about the other characters just yet, although its so weird seeing Laura Flynn Boyle acting like an innocent high school girl considering how the rest of her career turned out, heh.

Love those opening credits, too. So peaceful and yet creepy, all at the same time.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

So I started watching this on Monday. Halfway through the first season right now. I'm actually surprised this show hasn't been carbon copied throughout the years. I love the concept--a mystery revolving around a quirky small town and its inhabitants--more than the actual show right now, but it usually takes me awhile to warm up. I hear that the quality takes a dive during the second season which is understandable as I don't see long term potential here, but the run is short enough that I'm committed to finish regardless.

I would be intrigued to see this show "remade." FBI agent comes to a small town to solve a mystery, nail that Simpsons/Parks & Rec/Twin Peaks character vibe, give the case a season to conclude, and take the agent to a new town the next year. Some town inhabitants could even make crossover appearances from season to season, but the majority of the cast would change a la American Horror Story. The vibe could even slightly shift from year to year...one year could be a little funnier, one year could incorporate the surreal elements, etc. I'd watch it.

Oh, and I knew the theme song before this, but I have to comment on how great it is. And I like that it's used as score throughout the episodes as well. Really takes advantage of its haunting appeal.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    I loved the first season, but I'm stuck two episodes into the second season. I feel strangely as though I've already seen the best of the series; this makes me want to return to the show.
    You haven't seen anything close to the best yet.

You guys just starting off are watching the pilot first, right?

Is that on instant view?

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    You guys just starting off are watching the pilot first, right?

Is that on instant view?
    Yep. It was a double 2 hr episode.

Cool. For years the pilot was completely unavailable, even when the DVDs were finally released.

I had to order an import bootleg of it. I also have DVD version of the European cut, which turned the pilot into a complete movie with an ending.

I finished Season 1 a while back and I'm currently on Season 2 (the fifth episode). Season 1 was amazing, and I loved how it concluded, too. [
    ]

Once I finish the series I'll be watching Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me next. I'll have to rent that via DVD from Netflix, though.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Finished Season 1. Add me to the "like, not love" camp. My thoughts essentially echo Rowland's on Page 1. I don't find that conscious awareness of using soap opera cliches make the applied cliches any more appealing. Melodrama only works for me if the characters are engaging enough to carry the show and don't rely on the superficial plot devices. The entire town of Twin Peaks has introduced me to only a handful of characters I give a damn about. At least Audrey Horne has good taste. She seems as bored as I am with these townspeople and is attracted to the other best character in the series.

Man, that guy is creepy. End of the S2 premiere and climbing over furniture in Madeline's vision...I'm actually a little uneasy right now watching those episodes back to back.

I liked the love triangle's song, too.

The episodes levels of creepy are why I had to take a break for a while. I don't like weird Lynchian inspired dreams, man :P
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

“Twin Peaks,” the ABC series that was a forerunner of today’s offbeat serialized cable dramas, is coming back to life with nine new episodes to air on Showtime in 2016.

Sources say series creators David Lynch and Mark Frost are working away on the scripts, with Lynch planning to direct all nine episodes. Showtime declined to comment.

The episodes are expected to bow in early 2016, which would coincide with the 25th anniversary of the show’s demise after two seasons on ABC in 1990 and 1991. The new segs will be set in the present day and continue storylines established in the second season. Sources emphasize that the new episodes will not be a remake or a reboot but will reflect the passage of time since viewers last checked in with key characters.
    http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/twin...16-1201322329/
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Wut.

Guess I should really get around to finishing the second season.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    They teased this a couple days ago, but I wasn't expecting an announcement so soon. Looks like I have plenty of time to revisit the series. My wife has never seen it. This should be all the motivation she needs.

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Holy shit. Did not expect this to ever happen.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Never seen the original, but even to me this sounds a bit odd. Will this not tamper with the original? Will it be a new case in the same town? Or attempt to solve the palmer case after 25 years?
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

There's a whole lot of unresolved stuff. It could go any number of directions, but the series left itself in a place where it was broadening its scope and opening up whole new questions.

If it wasn't Lynch and Frost basically doing all the writing and planning for it, I'd be really skeptical, but I'm actually excited.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast