Thread: R.I.P. J.D. Salinger

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

R.I.P. J.D. Salinger

Catcher in the Rye will always be my favorite book of all time. I read it 4 times, twice in middle school and twice in high school. Truly awesome. Better late than never.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

who knows which thread to post this in. but from the BBC obit:

"Although many years have passed since the publication of any work by Salinger, friends and visitors to his home have revealed that he has a large safe containing at least 15 completed manuscripts."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    "Then she introduced me to the Navy guy. His name was Commander Blop or something"
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Reading Catcher in the Rye at 16 is what got me into books. Will re-read soon, looking forward to it.

R.I.P.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    who knows which thread to post this in. but from the BBC obit:

"Although many years have passed since the publication of any work by Salinger, friends and visitors to his home have revealed that he has a large safe containing at least 15 completed manuscripts."

Maybe I'll read Franny and Zooey over the weekend again. I'm honestly gutted about this.

Bunch Of Phonies Mourn J.D. Salinger

CORNISH, NH—In this big dramatic production that didn't do anyone any good (and was pretty embarrassing, really, if you think about it), thousands upon thousands of phonies across the country mourned the death of author J.D. Salinger, who was 91 years old for crying out loud. "He had a real impact on the literary world and on millions of readers," said hot-shot English professor David Clarke, who is just like the rest of them, and even works at one of those crumby schools that rich people send their kids to so they don't have to look at them for four years. "There will never be another voice like his." Which is exactly the lousy kind of goddamn thing that people say, because really it could mean lots of things, or nothing at all even, and it's just a perfect example of why you should never tell anybody anything.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article...NEWS02/1290341

interesting article about what he's been up to the last 45 years.

Here's a pretty good article on Salinger's non-Catcher work, which I haven't read. I didn't read too far because a) the font is too small and b) I don't want to spoil myself too much of Franny and Zooey. Those of you who have already read it might get more out of it.