Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1585

Thread: iDiscuss

Wow, Apple's already announced iPhone 8.

Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Already sold out worldwide.

Apparently the preorder numbers are 4x that of the 6s. I guess people hate headphone jacks.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I like headphone jacks. I like expandable memory. I like file transfer systems that aren't sluggish and temperamental.

I'm ditching iPhone for an Android next time around. There is too much about the iPhone that bugs me now.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I got wireless headphones in prep for whenever the jack goes away. I like them for running around too. Although I hate the design of those iPhone ones.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It comes with wired ones though.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I guess people hate headphone jacks.
    I guess they just need to be told what they hate or love or need or don't need.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The new iOS is very fun. I love the drawing/texting function.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    lol, "touchbar"

wtf

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    lol, "touchbar"

wtf
    Before yesterday, I didn't think a product could appeal to me less.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

BTW, LOL @ having a headphone jack.

- - - - -
    I'm shocked they didn't refresh anything except the pro laptops. A lot of their line hasn't been updated in 2-3 years.

And then they come out with the Touchbar thing. Like, really? Conceptually, it's cool. Practically, it looks like a huge pain in the ass (and something that will get limited support from most vendors). Then the price--$2.3k to half decent specs.

Also, FFS, they made ESC a software key. Good God. What are they thinking.

I guess I'll build some dual boot frankenbox and get a Dell monitor? :/

On one hand, it's hilarious optics to have a headphone jack given that they were pushing for lightning-port wired headphones with iPhone 7 like last month.

On the other hand, it's a bit unfair to call it a "headphone" jack. It's an audio jack. A Macbook Pro needs to be able to be used with AV equipments that use the 3.5mm jack. Getting rid of that entirely is a much bolder endeavor than getting rid of it on a phone.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I get that Apple is very casual user facing and likely knows that most of their users never use the function keys, but putting the Touchbar up there means you have to reach up near the hinge to use it, which does seem like a pain in the ass, and I think most users will similarly not bother with it. It would be a much more useful addition if it's below the keys, as a slider companion (or even replacement) for the trackpad.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Yep yep.

For me: it's a pain in the ass because (1) it forces you to look down at the keyboard and (2) there's no way to build muscle memory with (a) a software interface that (b) changes depending on the current app.

Some of this stuff works better on a phone -- which you have in your hand and you're always looking at anyway. (Personally, I think the "TouchID" fingerprint thing is overkill on a laptop.)

Duke, recommend me some Windows laptops before I have an aneurysm. Where's ETM with his Surface Book, dammit?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Yep yep.

For me: it's a pain in the ass because (1) it forces you to look down at the keyboard and (2) there's no way to build muscle memory with (a) a software interface that (b) changes depending on the current app.

Some of this stuff works better on a phone -- which you have in your hand and you're always looking at anyway. (Personally, I think the "TouchID" fingerprint thing is overkill on a laptop.)

Duke, recommend me some Windows laptops before I have an aneurysm. Where's ETM with his Surface Book, dammit?
    I'm not sure I can recommend any of them. I hate them all.

Keep in mind, I've hated Dell for almost my entire life. And now I work for them. So this has been a tough adjustment.

I wish I had the Book, Irish.

Yikes.

Movie Theater Diary

I'm in one of those moods today.... so I'm happy that happened to that guys face.

Ope, better restart, and it probably goes away.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Apple and Carl Zeiss working on revolutionary AR (augmented reality) glasses.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...18389ed38ebed3
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

This stuff takes ages to develop. It's not just something you pour money into and expect something "this year". Apple is secretive but this is the first time I've heard anything about this.

Not sure what Apple is thinking here

Laugh out loud rumor coming from teh WSJ.

Reporting the next iPhone is doing away with the Lightening connector. Moving towards USB-C port....

Maybe in Europe...

So there's a Wallstreet rumor going around that Apple... get this... is interested in buying Disney for over $200 billion.

Oh and btw, Apple could do with without financing a dime.