Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: iDiscuss

You know what annoys me to no end? Old people railing against technology as if we're wasting our lives by enjoying them.

Friend of mine was talking about the iPad on Facebook, and this old geezer relative of his or something started ranting about how it's all a rip-off and they keep coming up with new gadgets to steal your money.

THAT'S HOW TECHNOLOGY WORKS.

So what if I like the latest gadgets?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    You know what annoys me to no end? Old people railing against technology as if we're wasting our lives by enjoying them.

Friend of mine was talking about the iPad on Facebook, and this old geezer relative of his or something started ranting about how it's all a rip-off and they keep coming up with new gadgets to steal your money.

THAT'S HOW TECHNOLOGY WORKS.

So what if I like the latest gadgets?
    Nothing wrong with that. Although the iPad doesn't seem like it brings much new stuff except being a gigantic iTouch.

Although the ideas coming forward are already indicative of what's to come. That's pretty exciting. I've heard Japan already has monitors or iPad-esque gadgets that roll up like a newspaper so it's easier to take around with you.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

MadTV beat them to the name by a few years:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I think bac0n is the first to say it here. I've been posting about it on other forums, but there is no market for this thing. Jobs says it's gonna enter the netbook market, I got news for him; netbooks are cheap! I really hope this thing bites Apple hard.

I was actually excited for this announcement, thinking there was gonna be a tablet with OSX, with a webcam and ichat, multi-tasking and OLED... Wifi+3g+64gig= 849 dollars. No.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

IPS panel is pretty sweet for $500, actually. But locked down entirely - not so much.

But I disagree on the market for this thing - I can think of people who'll drool all over it. We like to ignore them because they irritate us, but they're there, and they have money. My girlfriend's sister is still using an ancient MacBook (600MHz processor, 4:3 screen) and it works for her, except the battery is pretty much toast, and it's heavy. She's gonna be all over the iPad, because all she ever uses the computer for is light browsing, pictures and video, plus light text editing and reading. I'm actually gonna recommend it to her.

Just make sure she knows that it doesn run OSX and it runs the iPhone OS.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Just make sure she knows that it doesn run OSX and it runs the iPhone OS.
    I don't think she'll care, honestly. That's the problem: all of us here give a damn about flexibility, and other people are like "Ooh, look at the book animation!"

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Bah humbug. I'm just waiting for price cuts on their desktop/imac/mac mini models.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

I don't know why people are comparing this to netbooks. This is obviously first and foremost a Kindle killer. And it's going to succeed being that, no question.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Didn't Steve Jobs sort of bring it up himself?

I don't know why people are comparing this to netbooks. This is obviously first and foremost a Kindle killer. And it's going to succeed being that, no question.
    Because Jobs said that's the market the iPad is in.

edit:
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Didn't Steve Jobs sort of bring it up himself?
    Yes

Dunno, didn't watch the keynote. I watched the video presentation on Apple.com, and it's pretty obvious what it's supposed to be. There's bigger emphasis on it as a book-reader—at least in the way this is going to be marketed.
    Movie Theater Diary

Dunno, didn't watch the keynote. I watched the video presentation on Apple.com, and it's pretty obvious what it's supposed to be. There's bigger emphasis on it as a book-reader—at least in the way this is going to be marketed.
    Bigger emphasis as a book reader by charging twice as much for iBooks over the kindle and nook store? Oh but it plays movies and music too.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I've already turned off the "rotate screen" function.

Volume knob, keep a charge longer than three hours. Those are my two wants in a nutshell. I hate having to look at the iPod when I want to turn the volume up or down.
    i can watch 4 hours of video on my nano and still listen to music for another 4 hours

something must be wrong with yours

What bac0n said.

Actually, the only thing I'm excited most for the iPad would be to use it as a digital comic book reader. For eBooks, I prefer the iPhone, because I can read novels standing up in a crowded subway without fear of dropping it or have any problems turning the page. But it's not so good when trying to read comics because of the screen size.

An iPad loaded with my comics collection? That would save me an amazing amount of space.
    yes, this is probably the most exciting part to me, although i don't see me getting one anytime in the foreseeable future

Bigger emphasis as a book reader by charging twice as much for iBooks over the kindle and nook store? Oh but it plays movies and music too.
    You seem to think that just because it's more expensive it won't destroy the shit out of Kindle and the Amazon store. This is not true.
    Movie Theater Diary

Director
    If this is Safari on an iPhone OS, will they ever be enabling flash? I can't see this coming close to a netbook's browsing capabilities if they don't allow users to install their own browsers and plugins.

This is just my theory, but Apple has always been the pioneer in killing technologies they find outdated. I think Flash is the latest one they want to kill.

I hope they succeed. Nothing would make me happier than the death of Flash.
    Movie Theater Diary

If you have Flash on your iPhone or iPad or whatever, why would you not just play online Flash games instead of paying for iTunes downloads.

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    i can watch 4 hours of video on my nano and still listen to music for another 4 hours

something must be wrong with yours
    Are you watching movies on your nano?

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    If you have Flash on your iPhone or iPad or whatever, why would you not just play online Flash games instead of paying for iTunes downloads.
    Maybe that's why Flash isn't available on either of those devices.

Are you watching movies on your nano?
    nah tv shows

on my commute and at lunch usually

Maybe that's why Flash isn't available on either of those devices.
    That's the only reason why. Apple wants to be the ultimate gatekeepers for all of your media.

No thanks. I had enough of that from the industries.

After this - my 3rd iPod - dies, I'll be switching to something else. Of course that means I'll have to copy all of my DRM'ed iTunes music on to CDs and then re-rip as MP3s (or whatever), but I will be glad to stop using iTunes. Amazon's store is better, all DRM free (at no extra cost), and offers albums for a cheaper price. The Amazon store is better in every way. I've actually found the selection at the Amazon store better for the kid of music I like.

This is just my theory, but Apple has always been the pioneer in killing technologies they find outdated. I think Flash is the latest one they want to kill.

I hope they succeed. Nothing would make me happier than the death of Flash.
    Flash is not your enemy. People who abuse it are. Of course, that means most of those who use it are...

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast