Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Films You Loved When You Were Younger That Don't Hold Up

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I rewatched it last night, actually. It's pretty high quality. The scariness does not really carry through to its non-scary scenes, of which there are plenty, but goddamn goddamn, that troll is WAY too convincing. Its voice and facial movements are too good. And some of the scenes are way scary. (I'm thinking particularly of the girl in her bedroom scene. I can't believe they did that.)

But apart from its scariness, it's also a pretty good Ernest film. The scenes with the children are straight-to-TV tacky, very cliched and clumsy, but endearing I guess. Then there's Varney, who has many many inspired moments.

I laughed really hard at this part. I love those schizo sequences. Where do they come from? What do they mean? And yet, they're entirely appropriate.
    Hrm after an imdb perusal I guess he was the voice of Slinky Dog in the Toy Story films. I wonder what they'll do for the third one.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Hrm after an imdb perusal I guess he was the voice of Slinky Dog in the Toy Story films. I wonder what they'll do for the third one.
    I saw the film Treehouse Detectives with him in it and thought that it was surprisingly solid.

Quote Quoting Beau (view post)
    I would agree with the whole "childhood movie > adolescent movie" dichotomy, but the movies of my adolescence are The Rules of the Game, Stalker, and L'Avventura.
    Actually me too, which is interesting as I seem to have regulated my tastes in film to a more broad level now that I'm in my young adult stage. I find a happy medium between high-brow art and low-brow entertainment, that I think I was too snobby to enjoy when I was a teen, and not educated enough when I was a kid.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234