Here it is, the best release of 2009 (free, or otherwise):

Wixel's 2009 project
Self-Released

Up until a few months ago, I thought that my releasing 6 albums this year was pretty ambitious. I’ve always wondered why bands take so long to write and record an album. It’s pretty silly that fans have to sometimes wait for years between releases from their favorite artists, especially when "professional" bands don't have to worry about day jobs, and especially now with the ease of recording on the go and self-releasing. So yeah, awhile ago I felt ambitious. But I was quickly humbled, and now this dude makes me feel lazy.

Wixel’s 2009 Project – an album every month.

And he’s done it. The project has been finished, on time. And what’s more, the albums are good. Yes, some of them are quite short, and sometimes the compositions and songs aren’t totally fleshed out, but dangit, when you have this much material those things don’t really matter. Judged as a whole, this is a stunning accomplishment.

I’ve heard seven of the twelve albums. What I like most about what I’ve heard is how Mr. Wixel changes things up style-wise while maintaining his own unique vision. While all of the compositions are ambient in nature (with a strong focus on mood and atmosphere), he’s also added in some genuine songwriting, lyrics, and all kinds of neat little things like fieldrecordings. Thus far the entire project feels organic, and he is capturing the differing moods of the changing year with skill.

He’s released all of the albums as free downloads, but he’s also taking donations for each one. I suggest you download some of them to see if you like him, and then make a sizable donation on some others. He has released a limited number of physical versions of each album. From what I’ve heard the original pressings all sold out, but I think he’s planning on another run.

My favorites of the seven I've heard:

Clouds

This is a stunning ambient album.

Blood Red Bird

A little more indie-rock in style - reminds me of Elliot Smith and early Pink Floyd. More song-orientated than Clouds, but still highly evocative and atmospheric.

The End

The End is the final release of the project. I was wondering how Wixel was going to finish things off, and he couldn't have done it any better. This is not a triumphant sounding end to an epic project, but rather the music conveys a sense of tiredness, and feelings of wanting to relax after a long day (year) of work. But there is also a sense of joy in these three extended compositions, of looking forward towards a brighter future after having proven to one's self that the nearly-impossible can be achieved.

I've never heard a more ambitious project from any musician. And that Wixel is doing this without the financial backing of a label - apparently in his spare time - makes it all the more worthy. This is a monumental achievement in the realm of the recording arts. This is the kind of thing that the major awards should be reserved for. Big bands who make thousands/millions while only releasing one album every couple of years should be ashamed of themselves - this is where it is at. True artistic craftsmanship of the highest order. A DIY project that makes all others shine a little less brightly.