Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread O' Beer!

Still loving this thread, keeping a list.

What to drink first?

Paulaner is my vote! Beautiful beer.

And I like your counter tops.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Paulaner is my vote! Beautiful beer.

And I like your counter tops.
    The Paulaner is the only one of those I've had before. It's quite good.

And thanks!

Oh wow. Delirium Tremens. This is a beer. So good.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Oh wow. Delirium Tremens. This is a beer. So good.
    It's huge too. A beer that size would end me.

That's the small!

Fiddlers Elbow
    Style: Wheat Ale
    Brewery: Wychwood, Oxfordshire, UK

I'll drink pretty much anything by Wychwood and love it to death. I am actually hard-pressed to pick a favorite, as I also love their dark ale Hobgoblin, and their stout BlackWych. I basically chose Fiddlers Elbow because I wanted to depart from the many black ales I've been posting.

In reading some beer literature I found (and was surprised by) this little piece of info - the English actually consider just about anything above 4.0% alcohol to be "strong", which is why nearly all of the products by Wychwood claim to be "strong beer" even though they're all about 4.5% or 5.0% at most.

And also a strong recommendation - at Christmas they release a "Bah Humbug! Ale", a spicy dark beer that is divine for the season. Try it if you can.

Appearance: A deep amber and thick white head. Slightly cloudy.

Smell: Very strong citrus-y aromas, and the wheat malt produces a unique smell not present in the usual barley malt beers.

Taste: The citrus transfers to the taste, along with a very light hopping which compliments the fruity flavours nicely, especially in the finish which is delicious.

Mouthfeel: Heavier than any commercial North American brews, but it's not as heavy as a Boddington's or a cream ale. Carbonation is standard - higher than traditional English beers, but not the "poppy" feel found in many beers.

Drinkability: I wish this was a beer that was cheaper to buy in large quantities, or even available on tap at pubs, because it's the type I could drink all night. While it's not a "thin" beer, it doesn't leave you feeling full, which is great for a bender!

Preferred Serving Type: Glass bottle, or poured into a pint glass. Actually, this could be just about any beer for me - I just do not enjoy drinking out of cans.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    La Fin Du Monde
    Style: Tripel
    Rep for the recommendation. Shared this with a friend during the Vikes-'Boys game. Outstanding beer.

May this thread never die.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Rep for the recommendation. Shared this with a friend during the Vikes-'Boys game. Outstanding beer.

May this thread never die.
    You just made my day, pal.

1) Home town boys win

2) Cowboys lose. Hard.

3) Another convert.

That's a flippin' trifecta!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Fiddler's Elbow sounds great, meg.

You know, I can't even remember the last time I drank beer from a can. I hate that can taste.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Fiddler's Elbow sounds great, meg.

You know, I can't even remember the last time I drank beer from a can. I hate that can taste.
    One of the beers I will be naming on this list actually tastes better from a can than from a bottle. Stay tuned!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

One of the beers I will be naming on this list actually tastes better from a can than from a bottle. Stay tuned!
    Unpossible!

Black Butte Porter
    Deschutes Brewery, Oregon

This is a treat for all you folks living in the Pacific Northwest, which unfortunately (for me) is the only place I've been able to enjoy this fine Oregon porter. Since it's been over four years since I've tasted this, I can't really go into all the details with much reliability, but suffice to say, if you like a delicious dark beer, you can't go wrong with Black Butte Porter.

Sorry I haven't posted much lately, we are in the busy season at work and I was traveling and it's been hell getting caught up.

I'll try to keep the posts more steady.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Thank you! Thread closed.

Boddingtons??
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

A rep from Unibroue is gonna be at a local specialy beer shop next thursday for a tasting event! I AM SO THERE.
    So, I went to the tasting. Man, that tiny store was packed! Took two bottles of Unibroue home with me. I'll post my thoughts as I drink them.

So, I went to the tasting. Man, that tiny store was packed! Took two bottles of Unibroue home with me. I'll post my thoughts as I drink them.
    I can see it now ...

[b[Unibrowe[//b} us gopd beerr gld i drank 2 much,. cant c keeubord an typpig w/ 1 fingwr. THSS BEAR IS GPPD!!1@# i Dont deserve u MACTCH-CUT!!@#12!twelve!@12!

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Boddingtons??
    Ah yes. Boddingtons is good from the can.

I can see it now ...

[b[Unibrowe[//b} us gopd beerr gld i drank 2 much,. cant c keeubord an typpig w/ 1 fingwr. THSS BEAR IS GPPD!!1@# i Dont deserve u MACTCH-CUT!!@#12!twelve!@12!
    You cut me. You cut me deep.

Okay, that beer I was talking about, well, I spent the last week and a half trying to track a can of it down., to no avail so, fuck it. Pilsner Urquell in a can is off the list. Instead, I'm gonna do my other favorite pilsener.

PILS
    Style: Czech Pilsener
    Brewed By: Lagunitas Brewery, Petaluma CA.

When you think Sonoma Valley, chances are you think of some other adult beverage than beer, but sure enough, nestled among the vineyards is one of the best breweries in the country, who so happen to brew one of the finest lagers in the world.

PILS has everything I love about Pilseners - it's clean, smooth, refreshing - the perfect beer for when you're thirsty - and none of the things I don't - namely, the "skunkiness", that sorta, well, stinky cheese character that sits at the fore of most pilseners - something I had grown to sorta deal with as an occupational hazard for enjoying a pilsener. The skunk was something I sorta dealt with cuz there where other things I so enjoyed in a fine Czech pilsener.

So, what's with the skunkiness. anyway? It all comes down to the bottles. The tradition is to ship Pilseners in green bottles - Pilsner Urquell, Czechvar, Staropramen, all of the Czech Republic - based breweries do this, so as to show on full display the crystal clear qualities of the pilsener, which was a real differentiator when Pilseners first came out. They were, after all, the first lagers, and it blew people away that a beer could be so light and so clear. So, of course, you put that shit in a bottle that shoves that clearness right in peoples' faces, and pour it into a tall skinny glass that lets in as much light as possible so people could admire the light golden color of this magical libation.

The problem is, light is the enemy of beer just as it is the enemy of wine. And it's those green fucking bottles that let the light in and therefor introduce the ass-ness. And that is why the Lagunitas is so awesome. They put the beer in brown bottles. Ergo, no skunk. What is left behind is one unbelievably good, easy drinking beer - probably the easiest drinking beer you will find on this list.

Appearance - the trademark crystal clear light amber tells you right away it's a pilsener.

Smell - smells clean, for a lack of a better term. Hints of sweetness, perhaps from an apple, nary so much an afterthought of bitterness.

Taste - Heavenly. Very lightly hopped so people who like beers on the less bitter side (I'm looking at you, Raiders) will find much to like here. As I spread it across my pallet, I can't help but recall a hint of sweetness... honey, I would say. Not sure. Think I might need to have another beer to be sure. You don't want to take chances with these things.

Mouthfeel - The opposite of a stout, is this. It's light and breezy, like a hamoc on a cool summer day. Naturally carbonated too, so the carbonation isn't making your tongue tingle like it's at an acupuncture session.

Drinkability - Dangerously so. Drinkability is pretty much the main selling point of a pilsener, and PILS is no exception. I could seriously throw a six pack down in no time flat if the mood suited me. It is smoover than the smoovest smoov who ever smooved a smoov.

The first time I had this beer, I was visiting my buddy Spun, back when he was living in Haight/Ashbury in San Fran, the fucker. I wanted to punch everybody who lived there for jealousy. This beer (which wasn't available in my neck of the woods until several years later) was one of those reasons for jealousy.

If you're in the mood for a beer in the vein of an American Lager such as a Budweiser/Mich/Coors/PBR, but want something with a little lot more personality, I can't recommend this beer enough.

Czech Pilsners are dee-lish, bac0n! I've never had this one so I'll keep my eye out.

I've made one or two nice Czech pilsners at the brewery. I just wish we had a little bit wider of a selection of malts, because a "true" Czech pilsner calls for more than just pale and dark malt.

Director
    Pretty great New Yorker article on the owner of Dogfish. He's a nut. Thought people in this thread might enjoy.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

I just made a Czech pilsner tonight at work, actually!

Used a fair bit of honey in it, and LOOOOOTS of hops. Should be mighty tasty.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I just made a Czech pilsner tonight at work, actually!

Used a fair bit of honey in it, and LOOOOOTS of hops. Should be mighty tasty.
    (*is drooling*)

(*is drooling*)

Indeed.

Hoppy beer is just...so delicious.

Whenever I make beer for myself, I always just about double the hops in the recipe. Beer is supposed to have FLAVOUR.

Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast