Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread O' Beer!

Hmmm...this is one I've never seen before!

I may have to go over to the LCBO and see if they could special order a 6-pack for me. I'd love to try it.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Dammit, I was gonna do this one!
    Ha, that's why I snuck it in early, just in case.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

This thread is full of awesome.

FWIW, my favorite type of beer is Kölsch.

Well damn.

After reading this thread, i decided to pick up a couple of these beers om the way out of town.

Come to find out that Founders doesnt distribute in Florida.

Suddenly, I was a sad Fezzik.

Then i found some Oberon, and was like ritch:

Happy New Year, everyone!

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Bac0n's just blowing smoke. These are his two favorite beers:

A.K.A. "Sugar Beer." Good in a pinch and when funds are low.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Steam Whistle
    Style: Pilsner
    Brewery: Steam Whistle Brewing, Toronto ON

I would not be surprised if bac0n and Benny kick me off the thread for this entry, because Steam Whistle is a mass-produced blonde. It's kind of like if MatchCut put together a list of the greatest mystery films of all time, and someone included the Steve Martin Pink Panther movies. Actually, no, it's nothing like that, because this beer is really, really good.

The Steam Whistle brewery has a philosophy behind its beautiful pilsner - do one thing, and do it really, really well. This is the only beer they have ever produced, and it's exactly the same as it was in March of 2000 when the first bottles were shipped out across Canada.

It's a simple beer, and actually not a "true pilsner" (though to be honest, very few of the beers made today are the "true" versions of what their names once entailed, so that's just the beer-nerd in me being a picky fart). Its massive ingredient list is composed of water, malted barley, hops and yeast. That's it, that's all.

Like I said, simple. But great. For an everyday, everyman drink, this one is a winner.

Appearance: Clean, bubbly, transparent, a very slight red hue to the beer's blonde colour.

Smell: A light smell of wheat, and the signature herbal aroma of what I imagine to be tettnanger hops. May be willamette, which is similarly light and herbal.

Taste: Like the look, it's clean and clear in taste. The smell of wheat translates to the aftertaste, meaning there was probably some crystal malt grains boiled in with the barley malt. Overall just a nice clean, inoffensive taste.

Mouthfeel: Light body and a strong carbonation.

Drinkability: It's the type you could spend a whole party night drinking. No problem with drinking 6 or 7 of these in a night. And since there's no preservatives whatsoever, you won't get that wicked headache hangover!

Preferred Serving Type: Any time, any place. Perfect for barbecue season and the cold winter months alike. Great as a solitary drink, or as a beverage accompanying a meal.

It's one of my go-to beers for entertaining, or for enjoying absolutely any time.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    A.K.A. "Sugar Beer." Good in a pinch and when funds are low.
    If Premium is cheap in your book, High Life must only be for bums!

:lol:
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

I would not be surprised if bac0n and Benny kick me off the thread for this entry, because Steam Whistle is a mass-produced blonde. It's kind of like if MatchCut put together a list of the greatest mystery films of all time, and someone included the Steve Martin Pink Panther movies. Actually, no, it's nothing like that, because this beer is really, really good.
    Aside from the sour taste any mention of the newer Pink Panther atrocities leaves in my mouth, there's only one thing better than good beer: cheap good beer.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale
    Style: Irish Red Ale
    Brewery: Smithwick's Brewery

Sentimentality factors in to a lot of the things we enjoy putting into our mouths. Beer is no different from food in that a memory can enhance the experience just as much as taste or mouthfeel or any of the other factors that contribute to the enjoyment of something.

Kilkenny is the official drink of my honeymoon, when my wife & I flew into Ireland, rented a car, and drove around the country. The first town we hit after we left Dublin was the smallish town of Kilkenny, a charming town bristling with activity. We rolled in mid-afternoon, thirsty, so we walked in to the first pub we saw, where I was introduced to the locally named but not brewed Kilkenny. And I was instantly in love.

At the time I perceived it as a combination of my favorite qualities of a beer - the smoothness and complexity of an American pale with the mouthfeel and rich creamy head of a stout. Since my good pal Scar, bless his soul, brought over a can when he and his lovely wife visited on Halloween and I got to taste it again for the first time in nine years (and having since become something of a connoisseur of beer), my first impressions hold up, although I would tend to say the comparison to an american pale is a little off. It's not nearly as hoppy. A better comparison would be a red like Smithies.

Appearance: The unusual combination of an amber/reddish hue with a nice thick and rich head.

Smell: All I recall is the creaminess of the head taking over.

Taste: Delicious. Kilkenny is kinda like a beer parfait. You start with the rich and creamy head, then move on to the beer itself, which has the caramel notes typical of an irish red as well as enough hops to register on the taste buds without overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: This is where Kilkenny really shines. It has a nice thick smoothness to it. Those of you drawn to Guiness or Murph's on account of its mouthfeel will find a lot to like in Kilknenny.

Drinkability: It's a session beer at 4.8% ABV, so you can throw down a few of these badboys and still drive home. Good thing is they go down the hatch pretty easily. If I recall from my honeymoon, they went down the hatch a little too easily. Good thing Kilkenny was a small enough town that we could walk from the pub to our B&B.

As our 10th Anniversary approaches, and we make arrangements to re-visit the Emerald Isle, sitting down in a pub and enjoying a pint of Kilkenny is one of the things I look forward to the most.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Aside from the sour taste any mention of the newer Pink Panther atrocities leaves in my mouth, there's only one thing better than good beer: cheap good beer.

It's not cheap, though :lol:

I just bought a 12 pack of it last night and it was $25.

Steam Whistle
    You're right in saying that this is the 'go-to beer', especially in Toronto. I'm not a big Steam Whistle fan, but I've drank a lot of it, simply because it's cheap and any dive I go to with friends around the city always has it on tap.

I remain puzzled, as I've never once encountered Steam Whistle as a cheap beer.

It's always one of the more expensive ones, whether it be at bars or the liquor store.

I remain puzzled, as I've never once encountered Steam Whistle as a cheap beer.

It's always one of the more expensive ones, whether it be at bars or the liquor store.
    ?

I know a couple of places where it goes for $5 a pint. The tour of the brewery is quite cheap too and you get a couple of complementary beers.

Quote Quoting Spaceman Spiff (view post)
    ?

I know a couple of places where it goes for $5 a pint. The tour of the brewery is quite cheap too and you get a couple of complementary beers.

It's a premium, so here they jack the price up hugely.

Like I said, I bought a 12 pack yesterday and it was $22.

*whistles*

*whistles*
    *blushes*

I am super groggy from partying this weekend but I'll have one up by the end of today or tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

no worries. this is a thread about beer after all.

While Benny recovers...

Does anyone have to deal with blue laws? I tried to buy some local brews at Whole Foods while we were in Atlanta yesterday, only to be told by the cashier that I couldn't buy beer on Sunday. What the?

Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    While Benny recovers...

Does anyone have to deal with blue laws? I tried to buy some local brews at Whole Foods while we were in Atlanta yesterday, only to be told by the cashier that I couldn't buy beer on Sunday. What the?
    Can't buy beer on Sunday here either, which is all kinds of lame. Also, the liquor stores need to close at 8pm on weekdays, 10pm on weekends. The bars, however can stay open until 2am. Which means if you wanna go out, you have until 2am to get all liquored up and then drive home. But if you wanna drink at home, you better have everything you need by 8pm or you're SOL.

The weirdest blue law I came across was in the town of Dothan, Alabama, where you can only sell beer on tap if 1) your establishment is a historic site, 2) it was a historic site prior to the passing of the blue law and 3) some other bullshit criterion. Turns out, at the time the law's passing, only one bar met all the criteria, which so-happened to be owned by one of the folks on the city council who helped draft the bill.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    We can't buy beer here before noon on Sunday. After noon, we're good. I have no idea why that law is in existence.

That is an odd Alabaman blue law. Utah, if I remember correctly, has some odd alcohol laws.

7:00pm is the cut-off time for liquor here in SC if you want to buy it in a store.
    Liquor must be sold separately from beer & wine, and liquor stores are marked by three red dots.

Our county, as well as some of the more touristy places like Charleston, now allows beer & wine sales on Sunday, but this is a fairly recent development. (Back when I tended bar, the restaurant where I worked had to pay a fee to have the bar open at all on Sunday.) But if you want a stiff drink on a Sunday, either get to the three red dot store before 7:00 the previous day or go to a bar.

South Carolina had a really odd tradition of bars having to sell liquor in mini-bottles. We were the last state in the union to get rid of those minis, again another recent development.

Can't buy beer on Sunday here either, which is all kinds of lame. Also, the liquor stores need to close at 8pm on weekdays, 10pm on weekends. The bars, however can stay open until 2am. Which means if you wanna go out, you have until 2am to get all liquored up and then drive home. But if you wanna drink at home, you better have everything you need by 8pm or you're SOL.
    Because the people making these decisions care about your safety. That's why these laws are made, dude. What are you, some kinda TERRIST?

/yes, spelled incorrectly on purpose
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

BTW, you all rock.

I bought some Oberon for the New years Weekend.

Yes, please, sir, may I have another?

I am sad because there's only one left. Great recommendation, guys.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Just to keep things moving, this will be brief:

Taste this beer. You won't regret it.

(Sorry, I am leaving for a tradeshow in Dallas tomorrow and trying to wrap things up. One of those days. Next entry will be more complete)

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast