Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1767

Thread: Thread O' Beer!

Morris:
    We went to Luxembourg on the 23rd-24th for an overnight trip, and took in the Christmas market. There I had the Leffe winter/christmas beer, and finally added a Leffe glass to my collection. It was a very good beer, and thought about cheating and throwing it into this list, but didn't want to short change the 24 beers I had already set aside for this countdown, so Leffe Winter gets an honorary spot with a thumbs up.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

23. Isid'or (La Trappe)

Winding down with another trappist first. This is exactly what I like about the Belgian dark beers: flavorful, sweet a bit fruity and a touch malty and a touch of bitter. I can taste the caramel as it warms, and it lingers behind the swallow. This is another solid beer in what has been a pretty good December.

1 beer to go
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Quote Quoting Gizmo (view post)
    Morris:
    We went to Luxembourg on the 23rd-24th for an overnight trip, and took in the Christmas market. There I had the Leffe winter/christmas beer, and finally added a Leffe glass to my collection. It was a very good beer, and thought about cheating and throwing it into this list, but didn't want to short change the 24 beers I had already set aside for this countdown, so Leffe Winter gets an honorary spot with a thumbs up.
    Allright!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

1 beer to go right?

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

0 beers to go!

I had the last one on the 28th, but again forgot to post it, and now I have no idea where the bottle is, nor do I remember what it was. I'll try to find it and update, but it was an IPA that was really tasty (another reason to figure out what it was!). It was nice and fruity and slightly floral, went down very easy.

Thanks for following along. I know I don't post much here any more (never really did), but I do still lurk and enjoy coming back to catch up with all of your contributions and banter. Miss all the people who have come and gone, but it's great to see Matchcut still hanging in there after all these years.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

I enjoyed reading your posts Gizmo. At some point I might even get to try some of the beers you talked about.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Thanks man!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Still lurking. Already piecing together 24 for this December! Found a great site that delivers to my house with hundreds of beers to choose from, so really excited. Also, I've really been enjoying hazy/NE IPAs of late, and I can actually get my hands on some now, through this site. They're mostly European takes, but they're still pretty good for the most part, in comparison to the ones I had last summer, when back home.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Awesome. Hazy/NE IPAs seem to have saturated the market in my neck of the woods, and to be frank, while I still enjoy them from time to time, I'm kinda over them. The style I've been really enjoying as of late is a good old kölsch.

As for the 24 days of Christmas, I sat last year out for a variety of reasons, but I think I may hop back on this year. An idea I had was to, for each of the days leading up to the 24th, go with a beer of a style that matches the numerical style classification in the BJCP Style Guide - eg, day 1, do beer style 1 - Light American Lager; day 2, style 2 - International Lager, Day 3, Czech Lager, etc., then judge the beer against the BJCP Style guidelines for that beer. I'm thinking about this too hard.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I'll be reading!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Not a huge fan Kölsh, even though I'm pretty damn close to Köln. And I've never been the hugest IPA fan, but a nice juicy/fruity hazy really has hit the spot. Not to mention how hard they are to find around here, making them not saturated.

As for the 24 by style, that's a pretty cool idea that I'll never do! I like just buying the 24 new ones, and then randomizing them throughout the month.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

I guess you chaps are gonna skip a year. Too bad but maybe understandable. Enjoy the Beers!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I love the Goose Island Xmas IPA. Going through the 15 pack of it pretty quick. It's kind of a darker one but is still bitter enough for me.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Alrighty - the first 12 beers have been acquired, so I'm ready to start tomorrow when the fun kicks off. One thing to note, is that my plan of aligning the days of the month with the BJCP beer style classifications ran into the stark reality that in this Covid era, the single can aisles just aren't that stocked. I presume they don't want people lingering in close quarters, which is fine, cuz I didn't want to linger much myself.

So, it is gonna be pretty hit or miss on whether any given day I will have the beer who's day is in the style of that number. Mostly it's gonna be beers from local breweries that I haven't had at all, haven't had in a long time, or otherwise piqued my interest.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Meant to post a warning last week to get your stuff over the weekend. Oh well. Let's get it going!

1. Dr. Yeast and Mr. Haze (Sudden Death Brewing Company)

I mentioned not too long ago, in this very thread, that I had come onto a New England/Hazy IPA kick after tasting my first few last year when I went home. I also found a great site that delivers beer to my house, and carries over 500 different beers at any given time, so this was actually the easiest year since I've come to Germany, at getting new and varied beers. Anyway, putting the 2 together, this is the first of a few Hazys that I relegated to the box, and not to the fridge, upon arrival. Dr. Yeast is nice and hazy, which hasn't been the case with all the so called hazy/NEIPAs from Europe, but it's missing the fruity flavors I've come to really love. It does have a nice creamy mouthfeel, but it's taste is more traditional IPA than a nice sweet creamy one. Still a decent drink, but I've found others that I'll keep ordering before I turn back to this one.

23 Beers to go!
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Day 1: Category 1 - STANDARD AMERICAN BEER
    Miller High Life
    Miller Brewing Co. | Milwaukee, WI

Quote Quoting BJCP Category 1B. American Lager Style Guidelines
    Overall Impression: A very pale, highly-carbonated, lightbodied, well-attenuated lager with a very neutral flavor profile and low bitterness. Served very cold, it can be a very refreshing and thirst quenching drink.
    Yeah, there are those reading this who would scoff at the notion of such macro swill crossing their palate, but I gotta tell ya, when it's 90 degrees out in the summertime, and you've just finished mowing the lawn, an ice cold High Life is a little slice of heaven. The only thing better than a High Life in such circumstances, is another High Life. Hell, when other folks were popping champagne a few Saturdays ago when the news networks were calling the race for Biden, me, I was popping the champagne of beers. Sometimes ya gotta scratch that itch. So, naturally, when I saw that category 1 was Standard American Beer, I knew right away that starting off the 24 beers of Christmas would be High Life.

It should come as no surprise that it fits the profile of an American Lager to a T. Its high attenuation (fancy talk for all the sugars being converted to alcohol ) makes for a clean delivery with a mild sweetness and a distinctly dry finish. Not a beer you're gonna need to think too hard about, what flavor there is is of biscuit, with a bit of breadiness, and a touch of minerality as it warms up a little.

But who in the blue hell gonna drink this beer warm? I mean, seriously. This is a beer designed to be drank cold and fast from a lawn chair, then the empty bottle tossed onto the lawn with one arm as the other arm reaches into the cooler for another one, ice cold, with the shimmer of condensation sparkling against the amber of the magical nectar contained within. Or better yet, two: One for you and one for your friend. Is it July yet?

Not a beer I would turn to every day, to be sure, but when I get a hankering for a High Life, nothing else will do. For a score, I would calculate its score according to the following formula:

SCORE (out of 5) = 1.5 + (current outside temperature / 30)

23 beers left!
    Last edited by bac0n; 12-02-2020 at 10:39 AM.

For cheap American Swill, I actually enjoy High Life. Also, I've not had one in like 9 years.

2. Xocoveza (Stone)

If you've been following me through these years, you know that a good chocolate stout is my wheelhouse. Xocoveza smelled great coming out of the pour, with chocolate giving way to a bit of a prune, finally the definite hint of cinnamon broke through. I was excited to take the first sip. I was surprised at the pepper, but I shouldn't have been, it's a Mexican take on a style, and it has pasilla peppers in the list of ingrediants. I've not heard of that pepper, but it's in there, and it's not over powering. The other spices also ride along, creating this great sensation on the tongue. It's very good, a slow sipper. Perfect for a cold winter's night. Well, now morning, really, as I am currently on the night shift, this is ending my day, and hopefully will put me into a good sleep.

22 Beers to go.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

And we're off. Will read.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I remember having Xocoveza for the first time at the Autumn Brew Review in Minneapolis about 8 or so years ago, and being blown away by it. Need to try it again, it's been years.

Day 2: Category 2 - INTERNATIONAL LAGER
    North Shore Lager
    Castle Danger Brewing, Two Harbors MN

Quote Quoting BJCP Style Guide: Style 2B. International Amber Lager
    Overall Impression: A well-attenuated malty amber lager with an interesting caramel or toast quality and restrained bitterness. Usually fairly well-attenuated, often with an adjunct quality. Smooth, easily-drinkable lager character.
    With an easy view of Lake Superior, Castle Danger Brewing is definitely worth a stop if you find yourself traveling north of Duluth along the North Shore. Named after the town where the brewery started - well, town is kind of an overstatement when you can throw a football from one end of it to another, but I think it's cool to note that the brewery was started by a guy who owned a lakeside cabin resort, presumably as something to do during the slow winter months, until the operation became too big and he had to move into the larger town of Two Harbors, and I believe sell off the resort. Their big seller is a cream ale which is one of my wife's faves, and is good enough to get them lots of fans 150 miles south in the Twin Cities. It's one of those beers I bring to a party when I am not sure how much people like the weird stuff.

As for this beer, its categorization as an International Amber Lager is a bit dubious, as the description on the can says Vienna Lager, but the only real difference between Vienna Lagers vs the more generic Int'l Amber Lager is that Vienna Lagers are defined as more bitter, which this beer is definitely not. Hops are restrained to the point they are in a full nelson, making room for smells of caramel apple on the nose, and a more subtle sensation of same on the palate, albeit less caramel and more apple, giving way to slight maltiness towards the end, with a nice dry finish - that attenuation again. The can says it's supposed to have a little spiciness added by the noble hops, but I wasn't really picking that up.

It's a fine enough beer to enjoy on a late September day on the North Shore watching the leaves fall, definitely inoffensive, but at the same time, not that super duper interesting. I would take one if offered to me without complaints, but it is probably not something I would get a hankering for.

I'm going to give this a 3 out of 5 - serviceable.

22 beers to go!

The first chocolate flavored beer I ever had came from this thread, the Barista chocolate quad. I very much enjoyed it.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    The first chocolate flavored beer I ever had came from this thread, the Barista chocolate quad. I very much enjoyed it.
    Young's Double Chocolate FTW!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

My favorite is from a local brewery - Dangerous Man. They do a Chocolate Milk Stout which is killer.

No, they don't actually put in milk, they just put in some lactose to give it a nice creamy mouthfeel. So good.

Bacon I know what you mean with that High Life post. Recently for me it's been Coors Banquet. Reeks of my childhood and ice cold best after yardwork.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Young's Double Chocolate FTW!
    Maybe but keep in mind I'm usually unable to find any of these beers in Belgium.

Unless some of you were to know a good website that delivers lots of American beer internationally.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]