Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 206068697071 LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 1767

Thread: Thread O' Beer!

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Hmm I've never been a fan of Guinness to begin with. Interesting.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I have to admit, I am on the fence this year. I am enjoying how better my clothes feel after losing 30 lbs, which is significantly owed to my much-reduced beer intake.

On the other hand, if the beer advent calendar you are doing is available in my neck of the woods, it would be fun to do the same one as you are doing.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

very unlikely that you'll find the same one, as I'm pretty sure this one is handmade by the online beer shop I use.

*coming soon*

Top 100

Ah - in that case, I think I will sit this one out, in the interest of maintaining my waistline. I will be following closely your reviews, tho!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

1. In Your Face(Crew Republic)

Well, here we are, another December begins. This is the 8th or 9th year in a row now, so it's getting harder to try and avoid repeats. In fact, I was pretty sure that I might have had this one before, so I did a quick search. Turns out I didn't do this, but did do a different Crew Republic. In fact, I did the other one in back to back years, and never noticed! Oh well. Anyway, since I started this, I've really come to appreciate IPAs more than I ever did, and now look forward to them (especially hazy/NE IPAs). Diving into this one, I smell citrus, so it should be a hop profile to my liking. The tongue is light and crisp, with some fruit (apple?) leading the way, before citrus does indeed follow. This one is not hop forward at all, infact the hops come at you from behind, seeming to come from the swallow and back up the tongue, and definitely not overpowering, but lingering after for a bit. I really enjoy this, and could see this being a go to in the summer months.

23 beers to go.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

2. Helles (Finne)

A standard German style comes with the standard German naming convention: call it what it is. This helles looks like a nice beer in the glass, and the aroma is just about non-existant. A smooth mouth, with a bit of creaminess greets me and the flavor is a bit of wheat with a touch of light grassy hops, which actually provide a solid bitterness that somehow isn't overbearing despite coming on hard. Another beer I could see myself drinking more of, but nothing that calls out Christmas beer.

22 Beers Remain.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

3. X-TRA(Wildwuchs)

When I choose my own 24, I probably get about 50% darks, as those feel like the season, and they're my favorite styles. This is the first dark beer to come out of this random box, and it calls itself an imperial dark ale, but I imagine it's a stout. It pours like a stout, and gives of some coffee and raison aromas. Not much head, in fact it looks pretty flat. Not sure if that's design or if I just got a flatter bottle. Mouth is very creamy, and taste is full of date, almost overly sweet. If I had received this blind, I would have guessed some kind of fruit stout, but there's nothing on the label that says it's supposed to be fruited, that's just how it tastes. It's good, but not what I expected from the label.

21 beers to go
    *coming soon*

Top 100

4. Bremer Keller Pils(Union Bremer)

I generally don't drink too many Pilsners, despite their commonality in these parts. I think they're too light, or plain, or something. Just not a general go-to beer. This one is by far the lightest pour of the month, and doesn't offer much in the glass or mouth. It's a pretty plain beer, akin to a Budweiser, I guess, haven't had one of those in like 10 years. It's a beer, and it's drinkable, but there's nothing of note.

20 beers to go.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Never heard of any of those, still reading though.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

5. Red (Berliner Berg)

I've never been a big fan of reds, they're in that weird in-between place, typically, where I find them not malty enough and usually hopped in a way I don't care for, either. This one has a bit of a caramel and orange, perhaps? aroma. Taking the first sip, yes orange is pretty present, and it's quite crisp on the tongue. But other than the tongue tingle, the hops aren't strong at all, and a nice smoothness goes down the pipe, while the hops remain an extra second or two on the tongue. There's a soft caramel, but mostly it's citrus flavor that encompasses everything. I think this one is pretty darn good for a red.

19 beers remain.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

6. Hazy Winter IPA (NEPO)

Well, this is the first "cheat" of the countdown, and probably not the last. By that I mean I know I've had the beer behind the door previously, so I've supplemented one of the few stand-alone beers I bought when I was piecing my own 24 together. I only got about 5 deep before deciding to get the box, so hopefully there aren't too many more repeats to come. That said, I mentioned already that hazy IPAs have really grown on me, and are probably my most purchased style the past couple years. This one doesn't have much aroma, and really only looks slightly hazy. I'd almost think wheat on appearance and smell. Taste though is hoppy, grassy, with a hint of zest. Not my ideal flavor profile for an IPA, and I'm almost disappointed by the lack of fruitiness, which I've come to expect with a hazy. I can taste some pine, so that does give it the feel of winter, so I can forgive the other flavor misses due to the take on style presented in the winter. Not sure I'd go back for this one often, but could see drinking it again.

18 more to go.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

7. Speziator Dunkel & Stark(Riegele)

Getting more into my typical comfort zone, a nice German Dark. This one smells a bit of toffee, and maybe a hint of chocolate. Nice tan head has me excited to take a sip. This one is creamier than a standard dunkel, and it tastes of sweet raisin, with a chocolate finish. This is not a typical dunkel in anyway, having more stout characteristics, and smooth, almost as a milk stout. I may have to try and find more of these, as this is really good. Not a hard drinker, but more of a sipper. Either way, I could have one of these a day and be pretty content.

17 beers to go.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

8. All I Want for X-Mas is Roggen Roll (Schoppe)

Another replacement beer has me a bit concerned that I did not buy enough supplementals. This is some kind of dark ale, with rye listed in the ingredients. My pour is very dirty looking, not near as clear as the image, and not a nice looking haze, either. Kind of septic, but at least it doesn't smell bad. In fact, I'm not getting much out of the aroma at all. The head leaves a nice lacing, at least. On the tongue, it's very bready, which is nice as it's so thick and hazy, I'd hope for some full mouth chew. Flavor is slight rye (good, I'm not a huge rye fan) and a bit of toast and earthy floral hop. Very bitter as well, but that fades quickly. Overall, it's not good, but it's not bad. I can drink it, but not sure how much I want to drink it.

16 Beers until the fat man.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

9. Pale Ale (BRLO)

Today is an old standard, the pale ale. I'm not going to wax on about this one, it looks like a beer, it smells like a beer with a slight hint toward lemon. Taking a sip, it's a pretty standard pale ale. Easy to drink, but nothing that stands out in any real way. There's a solid malt to hop ratio that keeps it nice and balanced. It's not spectacular, but I could easily see this as an every day kind of beer.

Only 15 beers to go.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

10. Witte Trappist (La Trappe)

I'm fairly sure I've had this before, but a search of the thread tells me I didn't have it during one of these countdowns, and since I'm running low on back ups, I'll allow it. I'm a huge fan of Belgians, especially their strongs. Therefore I've dappled into all the abbey ales, usually coming across as Quads and Trippels. The trappist beers are amongst the best beers I've ever had, and I think I've had them all. This Netherlands Trappist offering is the only one offered as a witte, and why not the Dutch? They're pretty good at the witte beers. The pour is a nice hazy yellow, and pretty inviting. It smells of spiced banana, which concerns me some, as I'm not a huge fan of banana as a flavor (do like them as a fruit, though), and that's one of the reasons I don't drink very many hefeweizens despite that being a very popular and easy to grab beer in these parts. The flavor profile matches the aroma, with a strong banana flavor touched with some spice. It's really juicy and easy to drink, but the flavor profile isn't one that I'm a huge fan of. It's okay, but I think it's one of the lower tier Trappists.

Two weeks of beer until Christmas.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

11. Amanda (Nittenauer)

Another day with a light beer, and we're back to the pilsner variety. I love the fact that this beer just has a regular name, nothing basic, nothing punny, just a name. Anyway, my Amanda does not pour as amber as the image, but more a golden color. The head stayed nice and thick, probably a full finger still a couple minutes later. Aroma is hoppy and citrus, and the flavor matches, but there's a nice malty foundation in there as well. If it wasn't labeled as a pils, I'd almost think IPA, as it's very hop forward, and more full bodied than I'd expect from a pils. It's a pretty tasty beer, that I don't think I could drink very quickly, but rather take it down in stages.

Unlucky 13 days to go.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

12. Hop Head IPA 7(Craftwerk)

We have reached the halfway point! Today it's an IPA, that I don't think is supposed to be a hazy, but my pour has some haze to it, so I assume some bottle fermenting, perhaps. I can't be bothered to look, and the bottle is in German. Anyway, the aroma is a floral orange and very welcoming. The mouth is full body and creamy, with a definite orange flavor. The hopping is pretty subtle, but noticeable still. I've been sipping on this one slowly, and as it's warmed, it's become creamier. It's almost like an alcoholic orange juice. Very tasty, up there with my favorite IPAs.

12 beers til Santa.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

13. Galactic Cowboy (Left Hand)

Another replacement for a different stout I know I've reviewed here previously. Left Hand's Milk Stout is one of my favorite beers, and I'm a huge fan of a nice smooth nitro, so I couldn't pass on the chance to try this Imperial Stout. Pour is classic nitro, slowly building the nice head as the colors separate. Aroma is strong chocolate or espresso, I can almost taste the bitter from the smell. The taste is that and then some: a strong dark chocolate bitterness, thick and sharp. Very much a strong black coffee feel in the throat that lingers. Can't say I'm a huge fan of this one, as I'm not someone who drinks my coffee black, but there's no denying that it's stout. I just wish there was a bit of a sweet balance.

11 beers remain
    *coming soon*

Top 100

14. Chiemsee Dark (Cambra)

I had previously covered Cambra's winter beer, I know this because it was one of the replacements earlier this year, but apparently never this dark offering from them. The pour is pretty dark, darker than a dunkel, maybe more like a porter. There's not much aroma to go off of in this on, not even some basic hop aroma, so I'm going to have to leave it all to taste. Mouth is medium bodied, so pretty drinkable, and the flavor is slight chocolate, maybe a hint of smoke, but nothing too overbearing. Kind of like a slightly burnt toast that leaves some bitterness behind, but not much. I could see this being something I can drink any time, but nothing I'd go out of my way to get.

10 to go
    *coming soon*

Top 100

I don't like stouts but I would drink one called Galactic Cowboy.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

It's a pretty stouty stout
    *coming soon*

Top 100

15. Köbi (Königsbrunner)

And now a German take on a British ale as we delve into the back half of the month. It pours a nice amber color, with a good lingering head, making it hard to get any aroma. I can catch a smattering of hops, but can't really surmise a variety. I'll have to give it a drink. The mouth is light, and carbonated, I can feel the tickle of the suds on my tongue with some hop bitter, maybe a light citrus, but not much flavoring on the hops either, seems they went solely for bitterining. I also taste maybe a rye or some other burnt malt, giving it what little flavor is coming through. It's a strange one, and I can't quite describe what it is. It's not bad, it's just got a tongue spice and a bit of burnt malt flavor, neither of which I really expected out of a British ale. Another one that falls in the category of "it's not bad, but it's not something I'd go looking for either".

9 More beers til Santa
    *coming soon*

Top 100

16. Wisby Jul (Gotlands)

Another supplimental beer (that makes 4 of the 4 I had, but no bother, I went ahead and ordered some more beer....just in case, you know?). I had no expectations for this one, I just liked the label. I wasn't even sure what kind of beer this would be. The pour shows it's another dark, so we're on quite a run of them now. Head is nice and think caramel and the lacing is sticking all the way up the glass. I'm not getting much in the aroma, maybe some slight roastyness. Taste is a light bitter, slight chocolate, but mostly a very coffee-esque flavor and feel. Much sweeter than the one from the other day, so much more drinkable for me. In fact, I really like this one quite a bit. On a cold night in Sweden, I could see myself knocking some of these back instead of a coffee night cap.

8 Beers remain.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

17. Eichhörnchen Hell - Cascade (Eichhörnchen)

Back to a lighter beer after all those darks. I love me a good dark, but it's nice to see a change of pace thrown in. Today is a simple Hell with a nice floral aroma and a great color (not that that ever matters). Taking a sip it's light and sweet, with a nice floral flavor and a nice little hop bitterness. It's a pretty solid beer, and I could easily drink this one with no problem at all. I might have a problem the next day, but no problem in the drinking!

1 week to go!
    *coming soon*

Top 100

18. On the Rocks (Liefmans)

I've had Liefmans before, in fact their gluhbier is one of my favorite beers, perfect for this time of the year. I can't say I've ever even considered a beer "on the rocks", but here we are. Liefmans are known for their fruity sours, so when I see a red beer coming out and it smells like punch, that's where I expect to be. But this is an "appetizer beer", and I expect the ice to break down any strong sourness. So when I drink, it's like a punch, with a bit of sour in there, but mostly fruity and sweet. I imagine this falls into the fruit sour category, but it's more fruit than sour. I rather enjoy this one, despite the fact that I have ice in my beer.

Only 6 more until X-mas.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 206068697071 LastLast