Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Music Videos

Battle of the Music Videos

If you have not been following this thread so far, it began here with a nomination process. I have moved the thread to The Kitchen Sink in the hopes that it will appeal to those who do not normally visit the Music Forum.

This thread will pit all of your very favorite music videos against each other in a totally pointless, but hopefully entertaining battle royale.

32 videos have already been entered into a tournament-style bracket because they received the highest number of nominations (3 or more). Eventually there will be 128 videos in this field. The current bracket is in the second post.

Please remember that this process involves a lot of arbitrary decisions. Mostly, I have tried to arrange for compelling potential match-ups and make sure two videos by the same artist don't meet up too early. Ultimately, your votes will be the factor that matters most.

This leaves a large group of videos that received fewer than 3 nominations fighting to get the final 96 slots. To decide which videos get those slots, we are going to have a series of three-way play-in match-ups. I will also be adding various wild card entries in an attempt to cover notable videos that did not get nominated for whatever reason. If you have a wild card suggestion (a video you think was unfairly ignored) you can PM me and I will add it at my discretion.

Before voting, it is strongly recommended that you watch all the nominated videos all the way through. Although it will naturally be difficult to vote for music you find disagreeable or against personal favorites, please remember that the primary question should be "Is this the most effective and/or artistic video?" not "Is this the best song?" Basically, just keep an open mind and allow yourself the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised.

The rest should be self-explanatory. We'll begin soon.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Thus far, the bracket looks like this:

Martha Quinn Bracket:
    #1 Daft Punk – Around the World
    #4 Regina Spektor - Us
    #3 Radiohead - Just
    #2 Jamiriquai – Virtual Insanity

Kurt Loder Bracket:
    #1 Bjork – It’s Oh So Quiet
    #4 The Prodigy – Smack My Bitch Up
    #3 Outkast – Hey Ya
    #2 Feist – My Moon My Man

Nina Blackwood Bracket:
    #1 Johnny Cash – Hurt
    #4 The White Stripes – Seven Nation Army
    #3 Blur – Coffee and TV
    #2 Fiona Apple – Criminal

Kennedy Bracket:
    #1 Michael Jackson – Thriller
    #4 The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Otherside
    #3 Sigur Ros - Glosoli
    #2 The Smashing Pumpkins – Tonight, Tonight

Mark Goodman Bracket:
    #1 Fatboy Slim – Weapon of Choice
    #4 Kate Bush – Babooshka
    #3 Talking Heads – And She Was
    #2 The White Stripes – Fell in Love with a Girl

Alan Hunter Bracket:
    #1 A-ha – Take on Me
    #4 Jay Z – 99 Problems
    #3 The Chemical Brothers – Star Guitar
    #2 Feist – 1234

J.J. Jackson Bracket:
    #1 Bjork – All is Full of Love
    #4 Depeche Mode – Wrong
    #3 UNKLE/Thom Yorke – Rabbit in Your Headlights
    #2 Kylie Minogue – Come Into My World

Ed Lover Bracket:
    #1 Nine Inch Nails – Closer
    #4 Weezer – Buddy Holly
    #3 Michael Jackson/Janet Jackson - Scream
    #2 Radiohead – Karma Police

The following videos will also be added to the field of 128:
    The Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be
    Metallica - One
    The Knife - Pass It On
    Bjork - Big Time Sensuality
    Bat for Lashes - What's a Girl to Do?
    Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy
    The Cars - You Might Think
    Queen - I Want to Break Free
    Chris Issak - Wicked Game
    DJ Format - We Know Something You Don't
    Mr. Oizo - Flat Beat
    Pearl Jam - Jeremy
    Squirrel Nut Zippers - Ghost of Stephen Foster
    Genesis - Land of Confusion
    Madonna - Oh Father
    Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
    The Pharcyde - Drop
    Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
    The Cranberries - Zombie
    Annie Lennox - No More I Love Yous
    Cibo Matto - Sugar Water
    Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
    REM - Everybody Hurts
    Lucas - Lucas with the Lid Off
    Blind Melon - No Rain
    Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart
    Violent Femmes - American Music
    Los Lobos - Kiko and the Lavender Moon
    Bjork - Triumph of a Heart
    Vitalic - Poney Pt. 1
    TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me
    St. Vincent - Marrow
    Fatlip - What's Up Fatlip
    Passion Pit - The Reeling
    Pulp - This is Hardcore
    Kashmir - Surfing the Warm Industry
    Bob Dylan - Subterranean Homesick Blues
    Missy Elliott - Lose Control
    Dethklok - Hatred Copter
    Falco - Rock Me Amadeus
    Sinead O' Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
    DJ Format - The Hit Song
    Dead Can Dance - The Carnival is Over
    Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla
    Janet Jackson - Got Till It's Gone
    eels - Last Stop: This Town
    Weird Al Yankovic - Fat
    The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star
    Fiona Apple - Across the Universe
    Nine Inch Nails - The Perfect Drug
    Röyksopp - Remind Me
    Justice - D.A.N.C.E.
    N.A.S.A. - A Volta
    INXS - Need You Tonight/Mediate
    Lauryn Hill - Doo Wop (That Thing)
    David Bowie and Bing Crosby - Little Drummer Boy
    Wolf Parade - Modern World
    Herbie Hancock - Rockit
    Les Rita Mitsouko - C'est Comme Ça
    Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime
    DJ Shadow - Six Days
    We Are Scientists - Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt
    Garbage - Stupid Girl
    Grizzly Bear - Knife
    Bjork - Hyperballad
    Radiohead - Pyramid Song
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
    The White Stripes - The Denial Twist
    Beastie Boys - Sabotage
    The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist
    Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
    Van Halen - Hot for Teacher
    Run-DMC/Aerosmith - Walk This Way
    Devo - Beautiful World
    Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
    Junior Senior - Move Your Feet
    Bjork - Human Behaviour
    Beirut - Nantes
    Radiohead - No Surprises
    Weezer - Island in the Sun
    Madonna - Ray of Light
    Suspekt - Amore Infelice
    The Chemical Brothers - The Boxer
    OK Go - Here It Goes Again
    Toni Basil - Mickey
    Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
    Hole - Violet
    Malk De Koijn - Fågt Op I Skalle
    My Chemical Romance - I'm Not Okay (I Promise)
    DJ Format - 3 Feet Deep
    Bright Eyes - First Day of My Life
    Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me
    Devo - Whip It
    Slagsmålsklubben - Sponsored By Destiny
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

SUDDEN DEATH: Big Time Breaker Bitches

Instructions:

Please take the time to watch all three videos and then cast your vote by making a post in this thread. Thread will be open a minimum of 24 hours and then may close any time after that at my discretion.

Although it will naturally be difficult to vote for music you find disagreeable or against personal favorites, please remember that the primary question should be "Is this the most effective and/or artistic video?" not "Is this the best song?" Basically, just keep an open mind and allow yourself the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised.

Big Time Sensuality

Artist: Björk

Björk is an Icelandic singer-songwriter, composer, actress and music producer, whose work includes seven solo albums and two film soundtracks. She is best known for her expressive vocals, broad soprano vocal range, and a diverse and eclectic musical style, which incorporates influences from many different genres, including pop, alternative rock, jazz, ambient, electronic, classical, folk and trip hop, as well as her eccentric costumes and music videos. She has been nominated for 13 Grammy Awards, an Academy Award and two Golden Globe Awards (including one for acting). For her performance in Dancer in the Dark. She won the Best Actress Award at the 2000 Cannes Film Festival.

VS.

Breaker

Artist: Low

Low is an American indie rock group from Duluth, Minnesota, formed in 1993. As of 2008, the group is composed of Alan Sparhawk (guitar and vocals) and Mimi Parker (drums and vocals), both founding members, and Steve Garrington (bass guitar). Their music is commonly described as "slowcore," a rock subgenre characterised by slow tempos and minimalist arrangements. Though Low's members disapprove of the term slowcore, the band is among the earliest to adopt and popularize the style, making them considerable contributors to the slowcore movement. Parker and Sparhawk's striking vocal harmonies represent perhaps the group's most distinctive element; critic Denise Sullivan writes that their shared vocals are "as chilling as anything Gram and Emmylou ever conspired on -- though that's not to say it's country-tinged, just straight from the heart."

VS.

Konichiwa Bitches

Artist: Robyn

Robin Miriam Carlsson, better known by her stage name Robyn is a Grammy Award-nominated Swedish pop singer-songwriter. Robyn was known in the late nineties for her dance-pop hits "Show Me Love" and "Do You Know (What It Takes)". Robyn entered Melodifestivalen 1997 as songwriter with the entry "Du gör mig hel igen". She has since started to gain mainstream success worldwide owing to the popularity of her No 1 hit single "With Every Heartbeat" and subsequent album release. In January, 2009 Robyn won a Swedish Grammis award for Best Live Act 2008.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Play-in Battle 2: Let Forever Kill De Floor

Instructions:

Please take the time to watch all three videos and then cast your vote by making a post in this thread. Thread will be open a minimum of 24 hours and then may close any time after that at my discretion.

Although it will naturally be difficult to vote for music you find disagreeable or against personal favorites, please remember that the primary question should be "Is this the most effective and/or artistic video?" not "Is this the best song?" Basically, just keep an open mind and allow yourself the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised.

Let Forever Be

Artist: The Chemical Brothers

The Chemical Brothers are the English electronic music duo Tom Rowlands and Ed Simons (occasionally referred to as Chemical Tom and Chemical Ed). Known for their live sets, they are pioneers of the big beat electronic dance genre which achieved mainstream popularity in the 1990s. Chemical Brothers are credited as being one of the few truly arena-sized electronic acts. Their live acts comprise large screens displaying psychedelic images, strobe lights and lasers that project over the crowd. The Brothers have also played at many major festivals, from Glastonbury to the Reading, the HFStival, and Leeds festival.

VS.

The Kill

Artist: 30 Seconds to Mars

30 Seconds to Mars is an American rock band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 1998. The band features actor Jared Leto as vocalist, rhythm guitarist and songwriter. On November 1, 2007, the band won the MTV Europe Music Award for "Rock Out", one of the two categories they were nominated in. On August 2, 2008, 30 Seconds to Mars won the "Video Star" awards for "A Beautiful Lie" music video at MTV Asia Awards 2008, in Genting, Malaysia. On October 16 2008 they won "Best International Rock Artist" at the Los Premios MTV Latinoamérica 2008.

VS.

Pon De Floor

Artist: Major Lazer

Major Lazer is a fictional animated character, who (according to press releases) fought as a Jamaican commando and lost his arm in a secret zombie war in 1984. He fights vampires and various monsters, parties hard, and has a rocket-powered hoverboard. Made up of DJs Diplo and Switch, the two were introduced after working with M.I.A.. The duo's first album, Guns Don't Kill People... Lazers Do was released on June 16, 2009 on Downtown Records. It was recorded in Jamaica at Tuff Gong Studios. Vocalists such as Santigold, Vybz Kartel, Ward 21, Busy Signal, Nina Sky, Amanda Blank, Mr. Vegas, Turbulence, Mapei, T.O.K, Prince Zimboo, Leftside and others contribute guest vocals to the album, as well as additional production from Afrojack and Crookers.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    The Kill
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Robyn for sure.

Konichiwa Bitches, from Beijing to Saigon

Um...

Play-in Battle 3: One Galaxy Fades

Instructions:

One

Artist: Metallica

Metallica is an American heavy metal band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 1981. Founded when drummer Lars Ulrich posted an advertisement in a local newspaper, Metallica's line-up has primarily consisted of Ulrich, rhythm guitarist and vocalist James Hetfield and lead guitarist Kirk Hammett, while going through a number of bassists. Currently, the spot is held by Robert Trujillo. Metallica's early releases included fast tempos, instrumentals, and aggressive musicianship that placed them as one of the "big four" of the thrash metal subgenre alongside Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax during the genre's development into a popular style. The band achieved substantial commercial success with Metallica (1991), which debuted at number one on the Billboard 200.

VS.

Galaxy in the Groove

Artist: Rip Slyme

RIP SLYME is a Japanese hip hop group. It is composed of 4 MCs; Ryo-Z, Ilmari, Pes & Su, and 1 DJ, Fumiya. Their sound derives its influences from old school hip hop and other Hip Hop such as The Pharcyde, De La Soul, Public Enemy, Jurassic 5, the Beastie Boys, DJ Premier, Leaders of the New School. In 2002 they received MTV Video Music Awards Japan for "Best Newcomer" and "Best Hip-hop Group". The same year they released a big-budget album "Tokyo Classic", which became Japan's first million-selling hip-hop album, with a sound compared to James Brown's soul and funk.

VS.

Sic Transit Gloria … Glory Fades

Artist: Brand New

Brand New is an American alternative rock band from Long Island, New York. Formed in 2000, the band currently consists of lead vocalist and guitarist Jesse Lacey, guitarist Vincent Accardi, bassist Garrett Tierney, drummer Brian Lane, and guitarist/keyboardist Derrick Sherman. In the late 1990s, Jesse Lacey, Garrett Tierney, Brian Lane were all members of the band The Rookie Lot. They eventually split off from the other members of the group, and in 2000 formed Brand New in Merrick, New York. The band signed to Triple Crown Records and in 2001 released their debut studio album, Your Favorite Weapon, a pop punk record. Their fourth album, Daisy, was released in 2009 and became their highest charting album in the US, reaching number six on the Billboard 200.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Clearly Chemical Brothers.

Got to give Major Lazer some credit for coming up with one of the stupidest things I've ever seen though. 30 Seconds to Mars gets no credit, not for lame Shining pastiche, not for Jared Leto's eyeliner, not for anything ever.

That Major Lazer song is beyond awful, but the video is hilarious.

My vote goes to the Chemical Brothers.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Play-in Battle 4: Portable Boys Don't Pass

Instructions:

Portable Airport

Artist: capsule

Capsule is a Japanese electronic music duo consisting of vocalist Toshiko Koshijima and producer Yasutaka Nakata. Capsule formed in November 1997, after Nakata Yasutaka and Koshijima Toshiko met at the TEENS'MUSIC FESTIVAL in the Hokuriku area convention when they were 17 years old. Capsule are frequently referred to as "neo-Shibuya-kei" due to their stylistic similarities, both aesthetically and musically, to acts from the Shibuya-kei movement of the '90's, most notably Pizzicato Five. Their music contains elements of bossa nova, lounge, breakbeat, and most recently electro.

VS.

Boys Don't Cry

Artist: The Cure

The Cure are an English rock band formed in Crawley, West Sussex in 1976 by Robert Smith, Lawrence Tolhurst and Michael Dempsey. The band has experienced several line-up changes, with frontman, vocalist, guitarist and principal songwriter Robert Smith being the only constant member. The Cure first began releasing music in the late 1970s with their debut album Three Imaginary Boys; this, along with several early singles, placed the band as part of the post-punk and New Wave movements that had sprung up in the wake of the punk rock revolution in the United Kingdom. During the early 1980s, the band's increasingly dark and tormented music helped form the gothic rock genre. By the start of the 1990s, The Cure were one of the most popular alternative rock bands in the world.

VS.

Pass This On

Artist: The Knife

The Knife are an electro pop duo from Sweden that formed in 1999. They consist of siblings Karin Dreijer Andersson and Olof Dreijer. One of the group's distinguishing characteristics is their unwillingness to cooperate with the media or the mainstream music scene. The group rarely makes public appearances, most of their promotional photos feature the members wearing masks and until recently, they refused to perform live concerts. The Knife won a Grammis award as best pop group of the year 2003, but they boycotted the ceremony by sending two representatives of another artist group dressed as gorillas with the number 50 written on their costumes as a protest against male dominance in the music industry.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I apologize if I pit any two of your nominations against each other. It's hard to avoid. Nothing personal.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I don't think it gets much worse vocally than the whole of Rip Slyme singing together. Or on their own, really. Just terrible MCs.

My vote goes to Brand New.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I gotta go with Robyn.

I liked the idea of the Low one but it didn't appeal overall.

Low, I guess.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Though I love Gondry with all my heart I'm going to vote for The Kill.

Wow Major Lazer is bad.

Rip Slyme

Metallica
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Gotta go with "Portable Airport".
    Last 5 Viewed

I find eating challenges unbearable.

Robyn video has a drumming monkey and very amusing lyrics. Very fun stuff.

Bjork video just has too many classic moments for me to vote against it this early. I love that the form of the video matches the title. It is intimate because Bjork delivers everything directly to us and yet it is public. It is sensual. It is big time. The whispering finale is especially humorous. This is just between me and you and the hundreds of people on the street around us.

Bjork
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Björk.

Not one of my favorite Björk videos, but still better than the other two. It's cute. Robyn's video is playful but a little too garish for me.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

That Major Lazer video is hysterical. It's like Pee Wee's Playhouse meets House Party.

I have to vote for it.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

I'll be letting Spinal know that I'll probably be voting against every Bjork video in this tournament. I just don't see the appeal. At all.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

That Rip Slyme video is one of the greatest things I've ever seen in my life.

Yeah, I have to vote for Major Lazer, too. Goddamn if I didn't laugh out loud from start to finish, good or bad.

Gondry has always been hit or miss for me, and while "Let Forever Be" has a couple clever moments, it is far and away my least favorite of his work nominated in this tournament. I second Winston's reaction to the 30 Second to Mars video.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Portable Airport

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast